Rusted Cover : Opinions sought

Old August 20th 03, 02:15 AM
Rodney

Default Rusted Cover : Opinions sought

I assume the cover has limited value,
I collect omnibus series so would look nice but do not want
to compromise the other stamps.
The cover is sealed with I expect just a blank card inside.
I wonder if the group considers this cover salvageable?
if so, the better method, or do I just soak off the stamps
and treat them individually?

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=67

Thanks

Old August 20th 03, 02:30 AM
Tracy Barber

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:15:28 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

I assume the cover has limited value,
I collect omnibus series so would look nice but do not want
to compromise the other stamps.
The cover is sealed with I expect just a blank card inside.
I wonder if the group considers this cover salvageable?
if so, the better method, or do I just soak off the stamps
and treat them individually?

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=67

Honestly, I'd not even worry about it. Those stamps are relatively
easy to get used.

Tracy Barber
Old August 20th 03, 02:33 AM
Bob Ingraham

IMHO, not worth trying to save, even if you could. I suspect that, with a
little patience and very little money, you could buy a truckload of similar
covers. Soak it to preserve the stamps, which are *almost* worth the labor,
at least from a monetary standpoint.

Bob

------
Once I asked a dealer if he had any copies of a particular stamp for which I
had searched in vain. He took me to a back room, pulled down a shoebox from
a wall composed of similar shoeboxes, and opened one to reveal several
thousand copies of the stamp I wanted, neatly bundled as kiloware. On that
day I learned the difference between the meaning of "rare stamp" and "common
stamp".
-----

Old August 20th 03, 03:04 PM
Pierre Courtiade

Rodney wrote :

I assume the cover has limited value,
I collect omnibus series so would look nice but do not want
to compromise the other stamps.
The cover is sealed with I expect just a blank card inside.
I wonder if the group considers this cover salvageable?
if so, the better method, or do I just soak off the stamps
and treat them individually?

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=67

Thanks

Rod,

In addition to the excellent answers already given by Tracy, Bob and
Blair :
Please note that the "foxing" is very contagious : most of these fungi
have a very nasty tendency to proliferate.
If you wish to keep this cover, you should "quarantine" it well away
from your good stamps.
If not : burn it !

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old August 22nd 03, 01:02 AM
Castlemore

A radical solution is this. Soak off the stamps in a warm water solution. Set
them aside. Then "wash" the entire envelope in a bowl with a tablespoon of
bleach. Watch to see if the staining lightens and keep an eye on the
cancellation. Generally the foxing will bleach before the postmarking ink.
If it lightens to a more acceptable condition, remove it and rinse it throughly
with water to remove any residue of bleach, reapply the stamps (and refasten
the envelope) with a watered down elmers glue.

A lot of work, I know, for not much value. This is a common method for
removing foxing from engravings and etchings. And would be essentially what
your high priced restorer would be doing.

Good luck.

R. Sherman
Old August 22nd 03, 02:44 AM
Rodney

Thanks for that R,
perhaps in the future they will find a more general solution to foxing.
I'll leave it sealed until then.
As an aside, and weakly linked to fungi,
a little while back, on a discussion on endangered species
I mentioned the demise of a large proportion of Australian Frogs
(8 extinct in the past 20 years)
Well, it seems the riddle has been solved.

It all concerns pregnancy testing and Banana's

Back in the 50's apparently the African clawed frog was imported
into Australia as an early test for human pregnancy testing.
This frog unbeknownst to all, carried a particular fungi on it's skin
that it was immune to, but all others not.

The fungi spread to the local frog population, and has spread rapidly
throughout Australia by those with the penchant for hitch hiking
in Banana hands. Kids australia wide, myself included, took great delight
in finding these amphibians amongst the bananas, and after playing with them,
released them into the wild, not knowing we were assisting the spread of
this disease.
The "Corroboree frog" shown on the 1982 3c Aust amphibian set, has been
decimated in Tasmania.

Apparently, left unchecked, could destroy 75% of the world's frog population.

Old August 22nd 03, 11:10 PM
Castlemore

Facinating. But the procedure is not recommended for frogs.

Since you like them, my favourites are the shiny bright green Cuban tree frogs
that taunt my cat outside the windows of my farm in the evening.

Cheers
Old August 24th 03, 06:18 PM
Shell91

We have green tree forgs that make a barking sound, bull frogs in the stream
behind the house, and geckos that chirp (at night you can hear them all over
the neighborhood, last night's gecko cout was 20 on the garage wall) along
with two species of anole lizards and many species of toads and a few
snakes. It's a regular little wild kingdom in the back yard here

Shell

Old August 26th 03, 03:51 PM
David F.

We have green tree forgs that make a barking sound, bull frogs in the stream
behind the house, and geckos that chirp (at night you can hear them all over
the neighborhood, last night's gecko cout was 20 on the garage wall) along
with two species of anole lizards and many species of toads and a few
snakes. It's a regular little wild kingdom in the back yard here

Shell

I live in S.E. England, and many people 'abroad' think we have almost no
natural 'wildlife' but...

My garden comes alive at night, with Grass-Hoppers, Crickets, Frogs, Mice,
Owls, Grass Snakes and even a family of Hedgehogs that take regular tours
around the property!

I also had a visit from one Adder in the hottest part of the summer this year!
It was after a bowl of Water that I leave out for the use of the natives!

The Cats and I kept well away from it!

David. (ribbit!).