Scanner for Stamps

Old August 26th 03, 10:15 PM

Default Scanner for Stamps

What is the best reasonably-priced Scanner for quality imaging of stamps
and covers to a PC?

Old August 26th 03, 11:52 PM
Albumen

I just bought a 1200dpi HP 4400c Scanjet for $29 - brand new and out of the
box. :-)

-a

Old August 27th 03, 02:18 AM
Bob Ingraham

I bought my Agfa Snapscan e40 about two years ago for CAN$129.95, and it
works beautifully. I've even seen this line of scanners in grocery stores,
although I suspect it has long since been supplanted by newer models. To see
To see a recent scan made with my scanner, go to
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/moonstep1.jpg,

I think that in scanning, the scanner is far less important than the scanee.
The number of godawful scanned images I see is far more the result of bad
technique than bad scanners. I suspect that it's hard to find a bad scanner
today, just as its difficult to find a bad camera. It's just that some
scanners (and cameras) are better for more advanced uses. One thing I've
learned is that the software is important. The program used to run another
scanner I had (a much more expensive one) was very unfriendly.

Good luck in your search,

Bob Ingraham

Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:15:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Scanner for Stamps

Old August 27th 03, 05:26 AM
RRoyPERFIN

Recommend a visit to this website - http://www.pgacon.com/tips_on_scanning.htm

IMHO, still the best guide for the stamp collector in search of scanning
tools, tips, etc.

Old August 27th 03, 09:31 AM
TC

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:44:29 +0200, "Pierre Courtiade"
wrote:

I agree with all what is said by Bob, especially on the fact that most
scanners (even very cheap ones) are very good. The problems may come
with how to use them ;-)

Bought my Agfa SnapScan Touch three years ago here in France for the
equivalent of 125 US $
The software (ScanWise 1.2 is very friendly) and simple to use.
I just downloaded the latest version (2.0) but apparently, it offers
many possibilities (for instance changing the colours) which are
generally found in other kinds of softwares (like PhotoShop). I will not
upgrade my software to get this IMHO too complicated one.

I also have an Agfa SnapScan with ScanWise and
can heartily recommend it for quality and ease of use.

Blair

Need access NOW to high-quality book scanner -- Salt Lake City Jon Noring Books 0 January 3rd 05 04:32 PM
Scanner help! Brian Coins 4 September 18th 04 06:53 PM
Fun with the new scanner! Wes Chormicle Coins 0 July 11th 04 04:29 PM
Scanner tips? XpipedreamR Coins 4 July 11th 04 06:13 AM
New Scanner Wes Chormicle Coins 1 July 9th 04 09:26 PM