Which countries?

Old July 4th 03, 09:09 PM
A.E. Gelat

Thaenks, Blair, you are right. Earlier, I had latched onto the Commonwealth
Secretariat site, and Mozambique was there. I failed to notice it. There
are no other countries in a similar status.

Tony

"TC" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:54:46 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Blair, I fail to understand your reference to Mozambique. As far as I

know,
there were no British stamps ever used in Mozambique. Please explain.

Tony

Tony:

The legal requirements to join the Commonwealth of Nations do NOT
include a prerequisite that you must have been a British colony,
dominion, dependency, or territory. Neither is membership mandatory
for the latter.

It only requires that you subscribe to certain shared values of the
other Commonwealth members.

See: The Declaration of Commonwealth Principles, 1971 (Singapore)
http://www.rcscanada.org/commonwealth/declaration.html

and: The Harare Commonwealth Declaration of 1991.
http://www.rcscanada.org/commonwealth/harare.html

Based on the latter, Mozambique applied to become a member of the
Commonwealth of Nations in 1995 and was accepted.

Mozambique's membership of the Commonwealth has not only brought
material benefits but also participation in the working groups of the
54 Commonwealth member states. Pressure for debt reduction came from
within the Commonwealth. Mozambique is now implementing reforms which
are being put in place in neighbouring (all Commonwealth) countries.
Mozambique had interacted with the Commonwealth in the struggle
against apartheid and in 1987 the Commonwealth had created a special
fund to help Mozambique cope with South African-inspired
destabilization.

QUESTION:

Will Stanley Gibbons now move Mozambique to their
Commonwealth stamp catalogue?

Blair

Old July 5th 03, 12:09 AM
Dave Joll

TC wrote

QUESTION:
Will Stanley Gibbons now move Mozambique to their
Commonwealth stamp catalogue?

Issues of Mozambique from 1995 onwards were listed
in Part 1 (which is no longer published, unfortunately).
Issues of Cameroun from 1995 onwards would also have
been listed there, but Gibbons is about 10 years behind
with its Cameroun listings so they never made it.

- Dave
--
Check out Worldwide Stamp New Issues at
http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~jollian

Please send replies to New Zealand instead of Zanzibar.
Sorry, but the spam is just getting a little bit too much...

Old July 5th 03, 04:39 AM
Alan

Whilst taking tea with a sociable bunyip a kangaroo bounded by with the
following message.
"Paul Herber" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:09:36 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Thaenks, Blair, you are right. Earlier, I had latched onto the

Commonwealth
Secretariat site, and Mozambique was there. I failed to notice it.

There
are no other countries in a similar status.

I believe Norway applied for Commonwealth membership some time ago.
Don't know what came of it.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Paul Herber Systems Ltd.

http://www.pherber.com/
Diacrit 2002 - Unicode version now available
SanDriLa - SDL/MSC application for Visio
email address is spam-trapped - s/*@/paul@/

I believe Cameroon is also a member of the Commonwealth. Cameroon was (or
mostly was)
a French League of Nations mandate.

Alan

---

Old July 5th 03, 06:14 AM
Tracy Barber

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:39:06 +1000, "Alan"
wrote:

Whilst taking tea with a sociable bunyip a kangaroo bounded by with the
following message.
.. .
wrote:

Thaenks, Blair, you are right. Earlier, I had latched onto the

Commonwealth
Secretariat site, and Mozambique was there. I failed to notice it.

There
are no other countries in a similar status.

I believe Norway applied for Commonwealth membership some time ago.
Don't know what came of it.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Paul Herber Systems Ltd.

http://www.pherber.com/
Diacrit 2002 - Unicode version now available
SanDriLa - SDL/MSC application for Visio
email address is spam-trapped - s/*@/paul@/

I believe Cameroon is also a member of the Commonwealth. Cameroon was (or
mostly was)
a French League of Nations mandate.

Early on, yes. But it was then a French colony after that for years,
until 1960 or so.

Tracy Barber
Old July 5th 03, 07:22 PM
A.E. Gelat

wrote:

[...]

Yes of course. There were two Cameroons, British and French. Both were
German Kamerun until 1914, and were occupied by the British and the French
during WWI. The British Cameroons were in two parts, Northern Cameroons and
Southern Cameroons. The British Cameroons were governed as part of Nigeria
and used Nigerian stamps, although they were League of Nations and later
United Nations mandates. The French Camroons were governed separately from
the other French territories in the region and had their own stamps, also as
mandated territories.

When Nigeria got its independence in 1960, the Northern Cameroons ( two
separate sections) elected to join Nigeria, while the Southern Cameroons
elected to join the French Cameroons upon the latter's its independence in
1960, and was renamed Federal Republic of Cameroun. Its stamps bear the
name of the country in English and French, both of which are official
languages. Independent Cameroon chose to join the Commonwealth, but
retained the franc as its currency.

Tony