10c postage

Old June 27th 09, 06:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default 10c postage

"stamps on bombs"
Australian Stamp News Vol 39 Issue 11
http://cjoint.com/data/gBhGfgZr7Y.htm

This process was mandated by the Unabomber experience.

Old June 27th 09, 12:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jun 26, 11:05*am, wrote:
On Jun 25, 7:05 pm, Ralphael1 wrote:

Today I received a letter, computer addressed to me or current
resident.
The return address was a gold and black personal stick on, not a
company or business address.
Ten cents postage.
The contents was advertising for a local air conditioner service.
I don't care how well the mail is sorted when delivered to the bulk
mail unit, it still has to be sorted a couple of times and then
delivered.
Ten cents is not enough for this service, in my opinion.

Ralphael, the OLD one

You do not say what type of 10 cent stamp it is - if it is regular
postage (not bulk mail or special service) then I suspect that it was
intended to be added to a 34 cent value to meet the current first
class rate. Several possible reasons for only the 10 cent stamp
arriving are possible - the sender forgot to add the other stamp(s),
or the other stamp was lost in the sorting machine.

If it was commercial bulk mail, most probably all the sorting up to
and including being cased for your mail carrier was mechanically done.
The cover may not have been touched by human hands from placing in the
sorting machine until your carrier placed it in your mail box.

10¢ Banner stamp, Presorted Standard is the stamp. Its use is
dedicated to mass mailers that sort their own mail into little bundles
with the zip code on front. The post office people just take the
bundles from the mailers deposit box and put them in the correct zip
code box without any cancel being applied.

RtOo
Old June 27th 09, 12:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jun 26, 7:37*pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
found these unused words:

[...]

Carriers still have to sort their routes by hand ...

If it's not a 'flood' mailing, the central also has to sort by carrier route
unless it bears the route code.- Hide quoted text -

Also the zip code bundle has to be broken down by hand and sent to the
individual carriers.

RtOo
Old June 28th 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Jun 27, 7:02�am, Ralphael1 wrote:
[...]

RtOo- Hide quoted text -

I recommend that you go to the USPS website and read the regulations
for standard, pre-sorted mail in the Domestic Mail Manual. In order to
qualify for discounted rates there are a number of prerequisites that
must be met in preparation of the mail, all intended for the maximum
processing of that mail by mechanical means. I reiterate that such
mail (and nearly all of today's mail, pre-sorted or not) is processed
with none (or little) manual processing until it is delivered to the
carrier. They even have Optical Character Recognition (OCR) equipment
that is capable of reading handwriting. I also recommend that you
check the USPS website for mail rates - I doubt that there is a 10
cent rate for any type of mail. The 10 cent stamp on your piece is
what is termed 'false franking' in that a stamp was used in an attempt
to get you to open the mail piece because studies have found that mail
with stamps is opened more often than the same type mail with printed
permits. The difference was paid in cash when the mailing was
delivered to the post office.
Old July 26th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Jun 26, 9:54*am, wrote:

This process was mandated by the Unabomber experience. It was
determined by someone that any package weighing 13 ounces or more
could be potentially hazardous so such items are required to be handed
to a clerk; otherwise, they are supposed to be removed and returned to

It used to be 16 ounces (450g). It's now 370g. I had two thoughts:

1. 1mg of anthrax would be far more than enough to kill the recipient
2. I haven't tried, and it's not the kind of thing I'm eager to post
on the Internet, but I am *certain* a clever and experienced person
could construct a lethal explosive package under 370g.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old July 26th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Jun 26, 5:35*am, "rodney" wrote:
I had a feeling this was the case, Ralphael.
So the parcel is franked correctly.
Still, it is a bit odd really, I can only guess that the label
assists the parcel with its routing, otherwise it is a waste of time and
material.

The man-hours saved probably greatly outweigh (pardon the pun) the
cost of printing a label. When one presents a package, the counter
clerk is supposed to count the postage. The $0.00 is evidence that he
or she has. Without this, someone at a sorting facility might very
well feel the need to re-weigh and re-count. Two specific occasions
come to mind: 13-oz-or-less parcels, and parcels with partial postage
paid electronically.

In my admittedly small sample size, I've seen that $0.00 sticker
apparently save a day in delivery time.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, MBPC
Trade?: http://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/

More UK Postage Changes Richard Bristow Autographs 2 July 22nd 06 12:13 AM
Exchange my French postage for your Canadian postage Richard Thouin Marketplace 0 March 7th 06 05:28 AM
Postage help Doug Autographs 6 April 5th 04 01:34 AM
What is Postage tax? Rodney General Discussion 9 February 11th 04 06:29 AM
WTB: US Postage 75% G. J. Weinberger Marketplace 0 January 24th 04 12:38 PM