Serbia query.

Old July 15th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Serbia query.

The ovpt obliterations of King Alexander1 on the 1903 issues
differ on these two stamps.
Any explanation?
Is the LHS a forgery perhaps?
http://cjoint.com/data/hpo6fKee1X.htm

Old July 15th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Oops.
disregard the post.
I see the note after the set in Gibbons.
Sorry.

Old July 15th 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jul 15, 9:05*am, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
Oops.
disregard the post.
I see the note after the set in Gibbons.
Sorry.

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in message

The ovpt obliterations of King Alexander1 on the 1903 issues
differ on these two stamps.
Any explanation?
Is the LHS a forgery perhaps?
http://cjoint.com/data/hpo6fKee1X.htm

What does SG say? I know that there was a lot
of "funny business" later on with Serbian issues.

Blair

Old July 15th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

My reference books are a dog's breakfast.
I have to swap around to find the book that deals with that particular
country.
In this case SG Part 2 (1963)

"The arms on the dinar values (except number 186 [1dinar blue green])
are smaller than in the type 13 opt" (the arms shown on mine RHS)

Not sure about the "funny business", Serbian issues abound in paper
varieties and
perforation varieties.
The "king peter on the battlefield" issues had other values prepared, but it
is uncertain whether they were issued for
postal purposes, as on the evacuation of Nish, the stock was left behind,
and fell into the hands of the Austrians.
Beware of reprints.

Old July 18th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Milco" wrote in message

Serbia don't have any funny business around, they have very serious -
if You take in account country that are most of history in war - it
can be just "serious" business with postage stamp.

snip

This King overprint, that happen in 1903 is best as can be at the
time! Printing machine in most of "civilized" europe was far away of
tehnology used on Serbian soil - and war on every corner!!!

Yes, Serbia, and generally the Balkans have a past filled with wars, that
ended with the wars & ethnic cleansings, etc. of the end of the 20th
century. The wars were stopped from outside. Just pro memoria, the
beginnings:
"
The "powder keg" "exploded" causing the First World War, which began with a
conflict between imperial Austria-Hungary and Pan-Slavic Serbia. Archduke
Franz Ferdinand of Austria, a member of the Austrian royal family, was
assassinated by a Serbian nationalist of the Black Hand movement. ... Due to
the system of European alliances, this led to a series of escalating
Austrian and Russian mobilizations and eventually Germany and France were
also obliged to mobilize and declare war.
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_keg_of_Europe

There are many stamps that remind us the tragic events related to the WWI.

Just to finally mention that the printing technology mentioned above, used
in Balkans, was mostly imported from the Western countries. The situation
hasn't changed since, at least in the region of Balkans that I know better.

--
Victor Manta

Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/

help me with some information - serbia Chris General Discussion 4 July 8th 13 03:00 PM
Stamps from Serbia [email protected] General Discussion 1 January 7th 08 08:32 PM
Serbia, Montenegro. Milco Marketplace 0 April 23rd 07 05:08 PM
Serbia/Yugoslavia id, please. Tony Vella General Discussion 1 September 21st 06 01:26 AM
Serbia-Montenegro Fiscal ? ID please. Rodney General Discussion 2 July 17th 04 07:07 AM