The US Airmail That Never Was

Old July 4th 03, 04:25 PM
humanbeing

Default The US Airmail That Never Was

I have unsuccessfully been pondering a philatelic mystery for some
time and thought this would be an excellent forum to bring it to in
hope of solving it. I had either a Scott or Harris plate block album
in the early 1960s, which had pictured in it a US airmail stamp
honoring the InterAmerican Conference to be held in Quito, Ecuador
sometime in the early 1960s (during the heady Alliance for Progress
days). This stamp was never issued by the postal authorities and I
have never seen it in any catalog nor mentioned in any other source.
Does anyone have any information about this stamp and its story?
Old July 4th 03, 09:06 PM
Dave Kent

If I recall correctly, the conference was canceled and the stamp withdrawn and
never issued, although it had been announced. This happened before the stamp
was even printed, so none could escape careless hands.
Old July 6th 03, 06:36 PM
Dave Kent

I've pretty much exhausted my references on this subject without finding
anything. I believe that the Post Office Department's files from this era are
now located in the research library in the National Postal Museum (part of the
Smithsonian) in Washington. You might try contacting them (no, I don't know
how, but I'll bet you can find them on the Internet).

New items on Ebay. Airmail, Zeppelin, WWII and more Ed Bakker Worldwide Stamps 0 September 10th 04 03:06 PM
IRC's Patrick Autographs 10 July 3rd 04 09:36 PM
WWII, Postal History, Airmail and more on Ebay Ed Bakker Worldwide Stamps 0 April 1st 04 08:51 AM
German wartime international airmail rate Bob Ingraham General Discussion 7 July 3rd 03 12:26 PM