REQ: Post your favorite pen!

Old April 9th 10, 11:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Post your favorite pen!

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
newsp.u9fp7wry0p3ku8@localhost...
Hey Everyone,

So, it's been quiet here, but I was just thinking that it would be really
cool if everyone could post up pictures of their favorite pens, either
their favorite no-use pen or their favorite pen that they use to write
with, maybe both? It would be interesting to see what everyone uses, as
well as the condition of the pen. Besides, I haven't seen enough action in
alt.binaries.pens-pencils. :-)

No pics, but my favorite is still the Namiki Falcon (fine) and I'm quite
attached to the Kaweco Sport Ices.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old April 10th 10, 08:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
...I'm posting them to alt.binaries.pens-pencils now.

(on ABP-P
I've finally gotten around to posting my daily writer. It's a MontBlanc
Meisterstuk Le Grande. Unfortunately, it has gone through the dryer
once before, which necessitated the replacing of some parts, including
the nib. You can see a slight misalignment of the turn-knob on the
back of the pen. It's a great writer, and I love to use it. It's an
Extra Fine nib, and has Noodler's Midnight Blue in it at the moment.

Thanks for posting -- great pen! Have you previously mentioned running one
through the dryer?

I can't see the knob misalignment, but I have a couple of questions
regarding the nib closeup (pen3.jpg): is that a (crack/scratch/line of ink),
or an image artifact, and how does it write inverted?

Brian

Old April 10th 10, 11:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Brian Ketterling" writes:

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
m...
...I'm posting them to alt.binaries.pens-pencils now.

(on ABP-P
I've finally gotten around to posting my daily writer. It's a MontBlanc
Meisterstuk Le Grande. Unfortunately, it has gone through the dryer
once before, which necessitated the replacing of some parts, including
the nib. You can see a slight misalignment of the turn-knob on the
back of the pen. It's a great writer, and I love to use it. It's an
Extra Fine nib, and has Noodler's Midnight Blue in it at the moment.

Thanks for posting -- great pen! Have you previously mentioned running one
through the dryer?

Yep, this is one and the same.

I can't see the knob misalignment, but I have a couple of questions
regarding the nib closeup (pen3.jpg): is that a (crack/scratch/line of ink),
or an image artifact, and how does it write inverted?

Hrm, do you mean the "capillary" line that ends in the air hole? If
so, that's an actual divide in the pen nib. The nib is not actually
split or cracked though. There are some dots of ink along the nib if
you look closely.

As for writing inverted, I assume that you mean with the top, engraved
part of the nib facing towards the paper? I actually have not spent
much time analyzing that, as I always write the other way with it.
It does write, but the feel is most certainly different. There isn't
as much inkflow that way, and you don't get any sort of smoothness out
of it at all. The "give" in the pen is also all off if you try to
write that way.

Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
Old April 11th 10, 06:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

"Brian Ketterling"

writes:
Have you previously mentioned running one through the dryer?

Yep, this is one and the same.

It came through it pretty well. You must have felt sick when you found your
pen in there!

Hrm, do you mean the "capillary" line that ends in the air hole? If
so, that's an actual divide in the pen nib. The nib is not actually
split or cracked though.

Interesting, if it's not a scratch -- I'd expect to find a feature like that
in cast, rather than rolled, metal.

As for writing inverted, I assume that you mean with the top, engraved
part of the nib facing towards the paper?

That's it. It's what I was referring to earlier with my Cross, when I said
that "the top of the pellet is smoothed into an approximate XF".

There isn't as much inkflow that way, and you don't get any sort of
smoothness out of it at all. The "give" in the pen is also all off if
you try to write that way.

I see -- so pretty normal for a modern pen. I think I've noticed before
that Montblancs have the top of the pellet flattened, and wondered whether
they addressed inverted writing while doing the grind. That flat face could
be the start of a sort of needlepoint cursive italic, too. I like
duo-pointed nibs, but they're more characteristic of vintage pens.

Brian

Old April 11th 10, 07:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

Default REQ: Post your favorite pen!

In ,
Kent Brockman wrote:

My favorite is the Bic Banana; but, I haven't been able to find them for a
while. Wish I had a gross of them tucked away in the supply cabinet.

Wow. That's going back a ways. If you find that store with Bic Bananas,
please pick up some colored porous-point refills for my Parker Big Reds,
too!

Brian

Old April 11th 10, 07:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Brian Ketterling" writes:

It came through it pretty well. You must have felt sick when you found your
pen in there!

Oh, it was not a good feeling, I can assure you. The resin was remarkably
preserved, and I don't think any of that had to be replaced, it was
mostly the nib and the internal mechanism that were busted. That is,
of course, the most expensive part of the pen. :-)

Interesting, if it's not a scratch -- I'd expect to find a feature like that
in cast, rather than rolled, metal.

Hm, you know, I couldn't really answer that, I've never not seen a
pen without the vein, and I've always just assumed they were there in
most pens.

I see -- so pretty normal for a modern pen. I think I've noticed before
that Montblancs have the top of the pellet flattened, and wondered whether
they addressed inverted writing while doing the grind. That flat face could
be the start of a sort of needlepoint cursive italic, too. I like
duo-pointed nibs, but they're more characteristic of vintage pens.

The range of angles at which this pen will write are pretty good,
especially, IMO, for an Extra Fine nib, but the top of the pen
definition isn't what I would call "ready" for normal use. It would
work if you had something extremely fine that you needed to adjust, and
just needed the smallest of ink flows to do it. I have, now that I
think about it, done this before, so I guess that the inverted
writing does have its uses, but they seem limited to me, especially
on a nib that wasn't designed for it. I can see the utility for a
dual-head nib though.

Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
Old April 12th 10, 03:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
l, not -l wrote:

And LiquidLead refills for my Parker pencil

There were some "liquid lead" pencils from China on the market recently.
I'd wondered whether the fluid could be transferred into Parker refills.

If I could figure out what solvent Parker used in their porous-point
refills, I'd try rewetting my dried-out ones so I could play with them.

Brian

Old April 12th 10, 09:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

Glad you found the Falcon; I think it is a great pen. I have four of
them now. Can't bring myself to buy the new metal one though.
Favorite pen would be a tie between the Pelikan M600 and an Aurora 88.
Glad to see people still frequent here. Still like the format better
than FPN. Just seems easier to use.

Don

Old April 12th 10, 10:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

wrote in message
Glad you found the Falcon; I think it is a great pen. I have four of
them now.

Me, too.

I have one for blue-black, one for black, and one for Bay State Blue - all
fine.

Plus, a medium. I lucked out and snagged a blue one after they were
discontinued.

Can't bring myself to buy the new metal one though.

ears perking up New metal one? I guess I haven't been paying attention.
The metal pro'lly means it's heavier, though.

Favorite pen would be a tie between the Pelikan M600 and an Aurora 88.

I like my Pel a lot, just don't use it as often. Haven't tried an Aurora.

Glad to see people still frequent here. Still like the format better
than FPN. Just seems easier to use.

Agree.

Old April 12th 10, 01:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J[_2_]

"Brian Ketterling" wrote in
message ...
In ,
l, not -l wrote:

And LiquidLead refills for my Parker pencil

There were some "liquid lead" pencils from China on the market recently.
I'd wondered whether the fluid could be transferred into Parker refills.

If I could figure out what solvent Parker used in their porous-point
refills, I'd try rewetting my dried-out ones so I could play with them.

If you mean the discontinued Parker "Felt Pens" (circa 1980?), plain water
should work OK. Do any modern refills fit in these things?