Pop Survey for July, 2008

Old July 23rd 08, 04:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Pop Survey for July, 2008

It's now the latter half of July and stores will be stocking back-to-school
supplies soon if they aren't already.

This month's question is a two-parter:

1. Do you shop for yourself to take advantage of the specials?

2. Provided that you're not needing school supplies because you're in
school, what do you like to get? If you are in school, what do you like to
get that you'd buy anyway, even if you didn't need it for your studies?

Me: Sometimes. It depends on how low are my stacks of loose-leaf binder
paper and index cards and if I think I'll need anything else. Last year, I
got what I wanted early enough, then needed a new highlighter in August.
Trying to avoid the crowd of children with their parents by waiting until
school started, I was too late. The single highlighters were sold out
through the majority of September.

This year, maybe nothing unless I see Ampads on sale.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old July 24th 08, 04:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
JimL

On Jul 23, 10:28 am, "Bluesea" wrote:
[...]

Ooh AMpads. Haven't seen them around here in a while at any price.

I stock up on:

-- Those b/w marbelized school books. They make nice travel journals,
meeting books, and lab journals, and a convenient bound book for
"junk" writing in the shoulder bag. But purchased only if they are
less than 0.50 each. Eh, I still have a stack of em.

-- Sipral bound notebook paper. Those are my "legal pads," 'cuz I
don't like turning the pages over the top, where they get curled up
before being torn off. 70 sheet books for 19 cents each, then 29,
then 39, then ... as we get closer to Labor Day. Staples, 99 cents
for six packs, limit three packs, unless you're a teacher, then no
limit ;-Q

Found ten-packs of papermate bp's a while back. bue-red-black.
Dunno why I bought three packs. Either since then or from the start,
their tips are dried up and won't write. Well, that was a waste of 50
cents per pack. The noive!

No 2 wood pencils. Ah, the nostalgia. Battery sharpener on the
desk, Enough packs so I only use the new long ones, give away to the
dept supply when they become shorter. A snob thing, I know And use
them on the aforementioned notebooks that don't take to fountain pens,
anyway.

Self-inking rubber stamp that says, "COPY." Still looking for
another one that might say, "Rejected B.S."

Old July 24th 08, 05:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"JimL" wrote in message
On Jul 23, 10:28 am, "Bluesea" wrote:
It's now the latter half of July and stores will be stocking
back-to-school
supplies soon if they aren't already.

This month's question is a two-parter:

1. Do you shop for yourself to take advantage of the specials?

2. Provided that you're not needing school supplies because you're in
school, what do you like to get? If you are in school, what do you like
get that you'd buy anyway, even if you didn't need it for your studies?

This year, maybe nothing unless I see Ampads on sale.

Ooh AMpads. Haven't seen them around here in a while at any price.

I've been buying mine from Wal-Mart. I got an Evidence pad and a 3-pack of
plain, undrilled, sheets last month, so they'll last me a few months.

I stock up on:

-- Those b/w marbelized school books. They make nice travel journals,

That's a good idea. Do you use one side of a page or both?

-- Sipral bound notebook paper. Those are my "legal pads," 'cuz I
don't like turning the pages over the top, where they get curled up
before being torn off.

That's true. Maybe I should try one, again. Back when I was in high school,
I started using a bp because my friends did and because I was tired of my
Sheaffer's threads making my finger sore. I also tried spiral bound
notebooks but never did like them because the wire got in my way when I
wrote on the back side of the page. I used loose leaf paper because I could
remove and replace the sheets in the binder and with a bp or pencil, I could
use both sides of the paper.

snip

No 2 wood pencils. Ah, the nostalgia. Battery sharpener on the
desk, Enough packs so I only use the new long ones, give away to the
dept supply when they become shorter. A snob thing, I know

Not to me, it isn't. Longer pencils are better balanced. IMO, short pencils
are better for smaller hands. The varying length and feel, and having to
constantly turn while writing to get a sharp line or else having to sharpen
frequently is what drove me to mps with .5 lead.

And use
them on the aforementioned notebooks that don't take to fountain pens,
anyway.

Have you tried using a fine nib with Noodler's Black or other BP colors? Did
you get show-through or bleed-through or both?

Self-inking rubber stamp that says, "COPY." Still looking for
another one that might say, "Rejected B.S."

Have one made.

Old July 25th 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-07-23, Bluesea wrote:

It's now the latter half of July and stores will be stocking back-to-school
supplies soon if they aren't already.

This month's question is a two-parter:

1. Do you shop for yourself to take advantage of the specials?

I used to cruise those sections all the time but the merchants
I have locally are a let down in every way. That being said, I
will probably take advantage of the up-coming specials for
school. I've been looking for some hammermill laser paper
locally but can't seem to find any.

2. Provided that you're not needing school supplies because you're in
school, what do you like to get? If you are in school, what do you like to
get that you'd buy anyway, even if you didn't need it for your studies?

I used to buy notecards all the time but the last batch of
lined mead I had didn't like fp ink at all. I usually like
blank cards. Lately I've been using cardstock and the
papercutter at work to make my own.

Might get some notebooks if I see any I like. Between noodlers
bp on cheap mead paper and a fine pen I don't see myself worry
about anything but what the notebook looks like. That is the
only ink/paper combo I like with bp black so far. I think it
will be fine on similar papers for me.

This year, maybe nothing unless I see Ampads on sale.

I'm going to give these a try. I've heard good things about
them.

I'm going to try a new notetaking process this semester. Take
notes on a pad and store the notes in a thin accordian file. A
folder per course and and one to be an inbox. After class I
will transcribe the notes from the inbox to a wiki I installed
on my pc. When they are transcribed I will put the hard copy in
its course folder.

I think with this system I will have the benefits of allowing
myself messy notes, review is built into system, and I can
search/archive things easier.

matthew

p.s. might post a review of some higgins "fountain pen" inks
later. I'm in the camp that says food coloring and water is the
only safe ink but I've had some good results with cheap pens
and higgins eternal, fountain pen india, and calligrapy sepia.

p.p.s. pretty sure all three are pigmented, which is probably
fine for non fin-type feeds you can clean easily if bad things
happen.
Old July 25th 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-07-24, JimL wrote:

Found ten-packs of papermate bp's a while back. bue-red-black.
Dunno why I bought three packs. Either since then or from the start,
their tips are dried up and won't write. Well, that was a waste of 50
cents per pack. The noive!

That seems to happen to a lot of people, yet one can usually
pick up a random bp and write without too much trouble. I once
bought some BIC bp's in a large pack and almost all of them
were worthless. I could probably trace the ascent to FP usage
from there.

These days all my bp's come from work and are spoils of the IT
center helpdesk at a university.

matthew
Old July 26th 08, 02:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
wolfy

I stock up on notebooks, above all.
No need to buy pens because I got fountain pens at a dollar shop and
the ink for them through www.yafaoutlet.com. The YAFA outlet store is
the best place fior that stuff.
Beyond that, some loose leaf paper and a few folders.
The rest I already have,
That is all...the rest is not needed.
Wolfy

Old July 26th 08, 04:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Barutan Seijin

Am 23 Jul 2008, Bluesea schrieb:

1. Do you shop for yourself to take advantage of the specials?

No. I generally don't like the school supply type stuff. Also,
having worked as a teacher, i've been around it long enough to be
immune to whatever charms it has.

Now, when i was in Japan, it was a different story. Their school
supplies are just better. There the back-to-school season is in the
spring.