"Mint no gum" equal or not with "MNH"?...

Old November 27th 12, 01:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Default "Mint no gum" equal or not with "MNH"?...

Good morning gentlemen!
A terminology question:
some times I encounter on eBay an S/S described as "mint no gum" and when I
ask if it's MNH or MH, I receive the following answer: "it's not hinged but
has no gum"!
This answer does not enlighten me a lot, since an S/S can be issued
originally with...no gum but it can also have lost its original gum for
various reasons, so it can't be regarded as MNH!
What is your opinion?

tnx

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old November 28th 12, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 11/26/2012 7:46 PM, gogu wrote:
Good morning gentlemen!
A terminology question:
some times I encounter on eBay an S/S described as "mint no gum" and when I
ask if it's MNH or MH, I receive the following answer: "it's not hinged but
has no gum"!

With 'hinged' interpreted as a adjective describing the present state,
not hinged now, this seems as much as can be said accurately. The sheet
might have been hinged in the past and washed away, and the seller might
or might not know the complete history.

This answer does not enlighten me a lot, since an S/S can be issued
originally with...no gum but it can also have lost its original gum for
various reasons, so it can't be regarded as MNH!
What is your opinion?

To my knowledge, MNH is intended to mean unused with gum as issued,
undisturbed. MH means gum disturbed, by whatever means, with hinging
being the most common means. Gum completely washed off is maximum
disturbance and worse than merely being hinged. Reasons for being washed
include: the item was glued down to mount it; it became stuck to other
items due to moisture in storage; it had multiple hinges; or the gum was
of a type that would damage the stamp. It can also mean the item is
actually used but uncanceled or lightly canceled and the ink removed.

For items issued without gum, I hardly see hinging as an issue, as the
traces can be washed away*. Do catalogs mention when issued without gum?

*It is possible that there might be invisible gum traces detectable with
expensive lab equiqment.

TJR

Old November 29th 12, 11:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
On 11/26/2012 7:46 PM, gogu wrote:
Good morning gentlemen!
A terminology question:
some times I encounter on eBay an S/S described as "mint no gum" and when
ask if it's MNH or MH, I receive the following answer: "it's not hinged
but
has no gum"!

With 'hinged' interpreted as a adjective describing the present state, not
hinged now, this seems as much as can be said accurately. The sheet might
have been hinged in the past and washed away, and the seller might or
might not know the complete history.

Sure, but he never said it's Hinged or Never Hinged!
He just answered "Mint no gum"!
AFAIK there are some S/S that are issued with no gum from the factory!
So how can I understand if this S/S was issued with no gum or lost its gum
some time later?...
His answer seems to me evasive...

This answer does not enlighten me a lot, since an S/S can be issued
originally with...no gum but it can also have lost its original gum for
various reasons, so it can't be regarded as MNH!
What is your opinion?

To my knowledge, MNH is intended to mean unused with gum as issued,
undisturbed. MH means gum disturbed, by whatever means, with hinging being
the most common means. Gum completely washed off is maximum disturbance
and worse than merely being hinged. Reasons for being washed include: the
item was glued down to mount it; it became stuck to other items due to
moisture in storage; it had multiple hinges; or the gum was of a type that
would damage the stamp. It can also mean the item is actually used but
uncanceled or lightly canceled and the ink removed.

So...how do I understand the state of the S/S based on his answer?!
To me, his answer is not clear (maybe intentionally...).

For items issued without gum, I hardly see hinging as an issue, as the
traces can be washed away*. Do catalogs mention when issued without gum?

I have a local catalogue not mentioning such info, that's my problem...
If you have Scott or Michel catalogue, could you please check for me?
It's Scott# B260 and Michel# block 26.
Thanks!

Old November 29th 12, 05:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Ο "gogu" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
? "Alyn" ?????? ??? ??????
Good morning Gogu,
If you give me the country of issue I will look in my Scott if it notes
if the stamps were issued without gum.

Hello Alyn!
As I said it's Scott# B260 and Michel# 26.
The issuing country is Romania.

Forgot to mention, on my catalogue its title is "Fundatia Regelui Carol I"
value of 200 Lei, and it was issued on February 10th, 1945.

tnx

Old November 29th 12, 10:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 11/29/2012 5:16 AM, gogu wrote:

Sure, but he never said it's Hinged or Never Hinged!

'He' might not know.

He just answered "Mint no gum"!

For that to be true, the item would have to have been issued without
gum, as Alyn now says it was, and unused.

AFAIK there are some S/S that are issued with no gum from the factory!
So how can I understand if this S/S was issued with no gum or lost its gum
some time later?...
His answer seems to me evasive...

Perhaps, or perhaps he is ignorant, or is not completely fluent in English.

So...how do I understand the state of the S/S based on his answer?!
To me, his answer is not clear (maybe intentionally...).

I checked what Scott says on the general issue. Except for certain types
of items, they have two columns of values for 'unused' and 'used' items.
Note that they do *not* use 'mint'. From US Specialized, Understanding
the Listings p.12A, 2001:

"Unused values refer to items that have not seen postal ... duty... .
For pre-1890 issues, unused stamps must have at least most of their
original gum; for later issues, complete gum is expected. Stamps issued
without gum are noted." It is also noted within sections the date at
which 'complete gum' means 'unhinged' (and, by implication, without
other disturbance).

Also interesting, in recognition of the difficultly of removing used
self-adhesives from underlying paper: "Scott values for used
self-adhesive stamps are for examples either on piece or off piece."

Old November 29th 12, 11:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
On 11/29/2012 5:16 AM, gogu wrote:

Sure, but he never said it's Hinged or Never Hinged!

'He' might not know.

Well, he has a stamps' shop and although he says he's based in Switzerland,
my stamps come from...Turkey!
(I'm a returning customer...).
So if he doesn't know but he's a dealer, well....that sounds no good to
me....

He just answered "Mint no gum"!

For that to be true, the item would have to have been issued without gum,
as Alyn now says it was, and unused.

Yes, now I know, thanks Alyn if you are reading this;-)

AFAIK there are some S/S that are issued with no gum from the factory!
So how can I understand if this S/S was issued with no gum or lost its
gum
some time later?...
His answer seems to me evasive...

Perhaps, or perhaps he is ignorant, or is not completely fluent in
English.

You are probably right, his english is quite poor, his first answer was
"...hallo mr the blok is no muni best regards ****...."!
And his next answer was "...hallo mr the blok is not gumi best regards..."!
What should I understand of this?!

[...]

Anyway, I hope I'll have it in my hands next week so I'll let you know if it
was MH or MNH or whatever:-)
Thanks for the insight on Scott and glossary Terry!

Tnx!

Old December 1st 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Padraigh ProAmerica

"Mint no gum" equal or not with "MNH"?...

Group: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss Date: Thu, Nov 29, 2012, 12:16pm
(EST+7) From: (gogu)
Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο
μήνυμα ...
[...]

======================

IIRC Scott does; i.e. the "Farley specials" of the early 1930's.
--------------------------------------

I have a local catalogue not mentioning such info, that's my problem...
If you have Scott or Michel catalogue, could you please check for me?
It's Scott# B260 and Michel# block 26.
Thanks!
--
E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane! * F.d.A
Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

--
"Some things take a set amount of time. You can't get a baby in one
month by getting nine women pregnant."--

Unknown

Old December 16th 12, 04:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Ο "gogu" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Good morning gentlemen!
A terminology question:
some times I encounter on eBay an S/S described as "mint no gum" and when
I ask if it's MNH or MH, I receive the following answer: "it's not hinged
but has no gum"!
This answer does not enlighten me a lot, since an S/S can be issued
originally with...no gum but it can also have lost its original gum for
various reasons, so it can't be regarded as MNH!
What is your opinion?

Good afternoon!
I received my S/S (actually two identical S/Ss) but still can't say if there
is something fishy with them...
Bear in mind I'm in stamps collecting for just about 8 months, so my
experience in the field is almost zero (I'm an old coin collector
though...).
I was wondering if you could say from a scanning if those two S/Ss are
genuine, MNH or not, etc...
I mean, is it easy for someone to judge by a picture only?....
If someone is confident he can do that, please let me know and I'll put a
scanning on net so he can give me his opinion.

Tnx