odd volumes from a set

Old December 6th 12, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default odd volumes from a set

On 12/5/2012 6:48 PM, Jean B. wrote:
Francis A. Miniter wrote:
On 12/1/2012 7:11 PM, Jean B. wrote:
Francis A. Miniter wrote:
On 11/25/2012 7:16 PM, Jean B. wrote:
I was gazing once again at two volumes that I have. From the exterior
they look unexciting, and I wondered why I got them. I was going to
give them away but happened to open them only to be reminded that they
were published in 1799 and had been rebound. They are volumes 2 and
3 of
a set. That started me wondering whether there is some way to find out
whether people are looking for particular volumes of sets. If there is
not such site, there should be. (I have been on the seeking end of the
equation too.)

Thoughts?

Jean B.

Hi Jean,

There are on-line markets that may be of use to you. ABEBooks.com is
one of the best. used.ADDAll.com is a terrific search engine. (There
are other markets as well, but this will get you started.) But they
will give you books for sale, not books wanted. That is probably
because the huge international market for listing books has diminished
to a very few books that are not listed for sale by someone somewhere.
However, there are a significant few that are not listed for sale at
any particular time.

Before the internet, there was a wonderful resource known as AB
Bookman, whose weekly publication listed huge numbers of books wanted
by dealers. Now, the dealers, when - and if - they get a request from
a customer, go on line and find the book. It does seem that Sheppard's
World has recently opened a "books wanted" section, but I don't know
how successful it is.

Out of curiosity, what are the books in question?

Francis A. Miniter

Hi Francis,

Thanks, I will look into "books wanted" at Sheppard's World, which I had
not heard of. It would make sense if there was some way for folks to
make their wants known, so others could supply those wants.

Turns out that they are not from the same sets. These two volumes are

Memoirs, Illustrating History of Jacobism. A Translation From The French
of the Abbe Barruel. Part II.--vol. II. The Antimonarchical Conspiracy.
Hartford: Hudson & Goodwin For Cornelius Davis, No. 94, Water-street,
1799.

Memoirs, Illustrating History of Jacobism. A Translation From The French
of the Abbe Barruel. Part III.--vol. III. The Antisocial Conspiracy.
New-York: Printed by Isaac Collins, For Cornelius Davis, No. 94,
Water-street, 1799.

Punctuation as in the originals, capitalization not as in the originals.

Thanks,

Jean B.

Saturday I picked up an odd volume myself: volume 4 of 4 of Samuel
Johnson, The Lives of the Most Eminent English Poets with Critical
Observations on Their Works, Montrose: Printed by D. Buchanan, Sold by
him & by W. Creech, P. Hill, W. Mudie & A. Constable, Edinburgh, 1800.
Unfortunately, it is rather fragile, which both boards detached.

Francis A. Miniter

But still cool. I would have had to get that too. Sometimes I think of
myself as a book rescuer.

That remind mes. I also got a first ed of a dictionary for children by
Noah Webster. IT'S front board was partially missing. Still...

Excellent. Hudson and Goodwin, Webster . . . Do you live in Connecticut?

Francis A. Miniter

Old December 7th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
[...]

No, Massachusetts. And this was a most likely one-time thing--got
14 books at 2.99 each, several from the 1700s, some from the early
1800s, some with no hits when searching....

This was especially nice, because I exercised monumental willpower
and didn't go to my favorite book and paper shows this year.