how much iron in fountain pen blue-blacks?

Old July 20th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

Default how much iron in fountain pen blue-blacks?

On 2008-07-20, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
MatthewK writes:

Anybody have an idea on how much "gall" is in diamine registrar
ink, monte blanc's blue-black, lamy blue-black (bottle), or R&K
gall ink?

The body of your message says "gall", but the subject is "iron"; which
are you looking for?

I'm used "gall" as reference to iron gall ink, and not galls
that iron gall ink can be made from or anything else.

matthew
Old July 20th 08, 09:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Joshua Judson Rosen

On 2008-07-20, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
MatthewK writes:

Anybody have an idea on how much "gall" is in diamine registrar
ink, monte blanc's blue-black, lamy blue-black (bottle), or R&K
gall ink?

The body of your message says "gall", but the subject is "iron"; which
are you looking for?

I'm used "gall" as reference to iron gall ink, and not galls
that iron gall ink can be made from or anything else.

So, by "gall", you mean "iron", and not "gall" (i.e.: gallotannic
acid)? In other words, you're asking how much /iron/ is in the ink?

Or are you asking what the molarity of the of the ink is regarding /iron gall/?

Are you trying to figure the pH of an ink or something like that?

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).
Old July 23rd 08, 09:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
In article ,
Bluesea wrote:

That's what I thought from what I read and from the black and turquoise
inks
I bought. I was surprised to find the MB Royal Blue, Violet, and Racing
Green to be nice and slick. I don't consider Sepia to be dry, either,
although it isn't like the others.

I think I started with the Sepia ink in the Meisterstuck, and compared
to the black Waterman that I was using in a Waterman pen before, Sepia
was pretty dry. It wasn't unpleasant, to be sure, but it was definitely
drier. I thought at first that this was due to the Extra Fine nib I was
using. However, when I started to use the Blue Black, it became
apparent how much drier the Sepia was comparitively. Granted, it's very
useable nonetheless. Then again, I noticed the difference the most on
long writing sessions or on paper that is very fine (and hence not prone
to rapid ink absorption) such as 100% Cotton Crane paper. This paper
takes the Blue Black much more steadily than the Sepia, thought neither
is a "bad" writer on that paper by any means.

I never did try the B-B.

I've got the MB Sepia in a Kaweco Sport ED which is like a Fine and Waterman
Havana in a Pelikan M400 XF. I know these nibs aren't fair comparisons, but
the Sepia is doing as well for me as the Havana. It doesn't feel as dry as
the MB Turquoise which is uncomfortably dry.

As for Blue-black, the instructions say:

"Important note: it is particularly important to clean the fountain pen
regularly if permanent ink (blue-black) is used, as the high solids
content
of the ink can lead to deposits forming in the feed system."

Yes, but in addition to that, they recommend cleaning maybe once every
month or three months, which is about twice as often as they normally
recommend IIRC. That's pretty rare in my book, especially considering
that I usually clean my pens at the Month mark regardless.

That looks backwards to me. I put the sheet away and am too lazy to retrieve
it, but the way I remember is 3 months for the other MB inks and more
frequently for the Blue-black. It doesn't matter in the long run because
you're cleaning often enough to please anyone's concept of frequent cleaning
and I'm not using MB blue-black.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.