Is this the Death or Rebirth of Cracked?

Old March 20th 05, 08:30 AM
DaBergman

Interesting. Thanks for the history. As I recall from the news, the
building was not just for WWN. The anthrax letter was sent to the
company that owns/ operates the Enquirer, Globe and WWN.

My question is this- if the building was hit by anthrax, how come every
OTHER publication based there was able to continue publishing EXCEPT
for Cracked? They must have been having problems before that in terms
of lack of funding or something.

I think we still need to dub Kulpa the "Stone-Cold CRACKED Killah"!!!

Old March 20th 05, 08:37 AM
DaBergman

BTW, I tried to post this article regarding Dick Kulpa- aka SCCK (the
Stone-Cold Cracked Killah)- earlier today, but it didn't appear.
Here's the info on the sale of Cracked and the financial problems. It
all makes sense now!

Also, I guarantee that SCCK is downplaying how low he took circulation.
He's downplaying the mag's peak (bet it was more than 50,000 before
SCCK got his kooky hands on it), and I guarantee that the Stone-Cold
CRACKED Killah took it to such a level that the mag is probably
offcially dead- especially for this A-rab dude.

Kulpa (aka SCCK) is like a trained magazine assassin!!
And he now wants to move on and kill a Maxim-like publication!!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/busines...cked_0212.html

Boynton owner sells 'Cracked' magazine

By Stephen Pounds
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 12, 2005

Cracked magazine owner Dick Kulpa of Boynton Beach has sold the
publication and its stable of wisecracking characters to an Arab
publishing firm.

Kulpa sold the magazine through an attorney representing the buyer, he
said Friday. The Gulf Daily News in Bahrain identified the buyer as
Teshkeel Media Group KSC in Kuwait City. The price of the sale wasn't
disclosed.

Cracked was founded in 1958 as an illustrated, satirical magazine
similar to Mad. Like Mad, it formed a national following based on its
sassy and wacky comic characters.

Kulpa bought it four years ago for less than $5 million from Boca
Raton-based American Media Inc., where he worked as a senior editor. He
published Cracked bimonthly with a cover price of $2.95 an issue.

The magazine's circulation dropped to 30,000 from 50,000, and Kulpa
struggled to finance its publication. He also had problems distributing
the magazine.

"We'd get a run going. Maybe we'd get three or four issues out, and
then the funds would run out," he said. "It's like taking off in an
airplane and having too heavy a load and having to set down."

The new owner, Teshkeel, was founded last year. The publishing company
plans to develop original children's content, with a focus on the Arab
world. It will move Cracked from Boynton Beach to New York.

"It's now in the hands of people capable of publishing and marketing
Cracked," Kulpa said.

Kulpa, 52, now wants to start a magazine such as Maxim aimed at young
males.

"After four years of marketing this and 15 years working in the
national mainstream arena, my resources are better off publishing a
mainstream magazine that would go hand in hand with the Internet,"
Kulpa said. "Comic books are a totally different animal."

Old March 20th 05, 08:57 AM
Jeremy Henderson

On 20 Mar 2005 00:30:10 -0800, "DaBergman" wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the history. As I recall from the news, the
building was not just for WWN. The anthrax letter was sent to the
company that owns/ operates the Enquirer, Globe and WWN.

My question is this- if the building was hit by anthrax, how come every
OTHER publication based there was able to continue publishing EXCEPT
for Cracked? They must have been having problems before that in terms
of lack of funding or something.

It's also possible that the other publications had backup files and
materials in other offices. Cracked, being a relatively small
operation, probably wouldn't have had any such contingencies.
__________________________________
Life's a lot like a freak show,
Nobody laughs when they leave.
-The Residents, "Freak Show"
Old March 20th 05, 03:38 PM
Michael Alan Chary

In article . com,
MadFan wrote:
My freind subscribes to Cracked and got a letter in the mail a few
weeks ago saying that the magazine was sold to a new bunch of owners
and that they were going to bring it back as a MONTHLY by the fall of
2005.

Does anyone have any info on this?

I talked to the new owner (as of then) last summer at Wizard World. Same
guy or not, I don't know. The website is still up.

--

The All-New, All-Different Howling Curmudgeons!
http://www.whiterose.org/howlingcurmudgeons
Old March 21st 05, 09:41 AM
MadFan

Thanks for posting this.

Old March 21st 05, 06:38 PM
Rob Wynne

In rec.arts.comics.strips DaBergman wrote:
I think we still need to dub Kulpa the "Stone-Cold CRACKED Killah"!!!

You keep saying that. Is it supposed to be funny?

-R

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat /
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/
Old March 21st 05, 09:31 PM
Ted Kerin

"D. D. Degg" wrote in message
oups.com...
My understanding is they had a tough go of it after
the World Weekly News building had an anthrax attack.

And yet, thank God, the WWN continues in its good work in solid
investigative journalism.

As a longtime WWN subscriber, I don't recall any significant interruption of
service after the anthrax scare -- although I do recall, for a few week
there, making my wife read it before I would touch it.

Old March 22nd 05, 12:57 AM
DaBergman

Well, it's funnier and better written than the stuff on your site.

But keep trying!