Special Reserve Ink

Old August 27th 08, 03:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Recife

Default Special Reserve Ink

Has anyone ever experience systematic ink flow problems with Special
Reserve ink, having to rinse the tip of the nib
with water to get the pen to start after a day or two?
Old August 28th 08, 04:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
JimL

On Aug 26, 9:12 pm, Recife wrote:
Has anyone ever experience systematic ink flow problems with Special
Reserve ink, having to rinse the tip of the nib
with water to get the pen to start after a day or two?

If you rather are referring to the brand "Private Reserve Ink,m" then
my experience is just the opposite. It is the most consistently smooth
flowing,never dries in thenib,and worksfirst time after a pen has been
sitting for weeks.

Are you asking this question because that has been your experience?
Or, are you asking to try to implant doubts in theminds ofpotential
customers to your competitors?

Old August 28th 08, 01:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Recife

No doubt implants here! I am trying to figure out why somebody is
experiencing such problem. Nib and nib sections were replaced several
times with different models and the issue is still persistent. Private
reserve ink have excellent reputation and generally work fine with the
nibs used for this person. Which is why I posted my question.

Old August 28th 08, 04:41 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan W. Dye

Recife wrote:
Has anyone ever experience systematic ink flow problems with Special
Reserve ink, having to rinse the tip of the nib
with water to get the pen to start after a day or two?

I'll throw in a suggestion here, empty the pen, then partially fill
(half a squeeze will do on the filler) with undiluted higgins pen
cleaner, then let sit for a few hours with the nib soaking in the
cleaner. I use several brands of cleaners and when the pen has flow
problems I use this cleaner and method with a prolonged rinsing
afterwards. Then, check the tines for proper adjustment, dry out the
water, and refill.

Truthfully, I've almost never had problems with a pen restarting,
regardless of the ink, if the pen is clean and correctly adjusted. If
people switch inks a lot, they can end up with residue of one ink in the
sac, blending with another ink and the result might be a gummy residue
that plugs the feed. This can be subtle enough that when a pen nib is
wet or licked, it restarts and appears to be the ink, but it seldom is.

I see this more in vintage pens, but also in modern pens. 51's are
notorious for having gunk built under the hood of the nib in the
collector. They'll flush clear water and look clean, but if you remove
the hood, the feed is filthy. After a cleaning they perform like new.

Good Luck,

Alan
Old August 28th 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Recife wrote:

I am trying to figure out why somebody is
experiencing such problem. Nib and nib sections were replaced several
times with different models and the issue is still persistent.

Have they tried other inks with the pen? If the point is drying out, I'd
suspect a sealing problem with the cap or inner cap.

Brian

Old August 28th 08, 06:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan W. Dye

Brian Ketterling wrote:
In ,
Recife wrote:

I am trying to figure out why somebody is
experiencing such problem. Nib and nib sections were replaced several
times with different models and the issue is still persistent.

Have they tried other inks with the pen? If the point is drying out, I'd
suspect a sealing problem with the cap or inner cap.

Brian

A great suggestion!

Two things to check here, one, put your fingers over the side holes in
the cap (if it is old pen like a Parker Vacumatic, if it is new, it
probably won't have them) and put your lips on the cap and blow. If it
moves air, there's a problem. The other is for the pen to correctly
seat against the inner cap. If you look inside, there should be a seat
that the section butts up against when the pen is screwed into the cap.
If the inner cap is set too deep it won't seat and you won't get an
airtight seal around the nib to keep it wet.

I bought a new Visconti Maxi Van Gogh several months ago and the nib
would dry in the cap. When I blew into the cap it moved some air. I
asked the dealer about it and he (mistakenly I think) said that all caps
were no longer air tight in case you swallowed one and needed to
breathe... This was pure bull hockey because you couldn't move enough
air through that hole to keep a human alive, but it was enough to dry
the nib.

I carefully disassembled the clip mechanism and sealed the hole with
rubber cement. It is safe stuff to use and can be easily removed if
needed at a later point. Then I reassembled the clip assembly once dry,
and now the pen performs as it should.

Alan

special pen Sue H Autographs 3 March 31st 06 01:27 AM
Special Thanks to Mr.H WJW Coins 0 March 29th 05 09:33 AM
>>>WAX BOX SPECIAL<<< Bruce Harris Sportscards Baseball 0 July 20th 04 12:48 AM
DIRK NOWITZKI ROOKIE NO RESERVE BV $15, NO RESERVE!! Badakas Basketball 0 September 27th 03 04:52 PM
Something special? Kevin B. Hockey 2 July 13th 03 06:28 PM