Accugrade

Old February 25th 05, 09:59 PM
gogu

Default Accugrade

Accugrade is suing people who presumably have put their company under a
negative light.
Yesterday I came across one of their auctions and read this:
----------
CATALOGS FOR $**.**.......ACCUGRADE WAS RATED #1 AS THE MOST CONSISTENT
GRADING SERVICE BASED ON THE NOVEMBER 17, 2003 ISSUE OF COIN WORLD REGARDING
THEIR RECENT SURVEY. SEE PAGES 62 THRU 66. PCGS WAS RATED LAST WITH THE MOST
SCATTERED GRADING........PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER AUCTIONS...
---------------
Do you think that PCGS could sue them for the same reasons ?;-)

PS
Needless to say the coin is graded MS60 but it's really horrible, an XF
at most.

--
E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

Old February 25th 05, 10:14 PM
James Brautigan

"gogu" wrote in
:

Accugrade is suing people who presumably have put their company under
a negative light.
Yesterday I came across one of their auctions and read this:
----------
CATALOGS FOR $**.**.......ACCUGRADE WAS RATED #1 AS THE MOST
CONSISTENT GRADING SERVICE BASED ON THE NOVEMBER 17, 2003 ISSUE OF
COIN WORLD REGARDING THEIR RECENT SURVEY. SEE PAGES 62 THRU 66. PCGS
WAS RATED LAST WITH THE MOST SCATTERED GRADING........PLEASE VISIT OUR
OTHER AUCTIONS... ---------------
Do you think that PCGS could sue them for the same reasons ?;-)

PS
Needless to say the coin is graded MS60 but it's really horrible,
an XF
at most.

How can they brag that they are most consistently wrong?
Old February 25th 05, 10:46 PM
linxlvr

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:14:51 +0000, James Brautigan wrote:

"gogu" wrote in
:

Accugrade is suing people who presumably have put their company under a
negative light.
Yesterday I came across one of their auctions and read this: ----------
CATALOGS FOR $**.**.......ACCUGRADE WAS RATED #1 AS THE MOST CONSISTENT
GRADING SERVICE BASED ON THE NOVEMBER 17, 2003 ISSUE OF COIN WORLD
REGARDING THEIR RECENT SURVEY. SEE PAGES 62 THRU 66. PCGS WAS RATED LAST
WITH THE MOST SCATTERED GRADING........PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER
AUCTIONS... ---------------
Do you think that PCGS could sue them for the same reasons ?;-)

PS
Needless to say the coin is graded MS60 but it's really horrible, an
XF
at most.

How can they brag that they are most consistently wrong?

In marketing, and propaganda, the technique has a name; "The Big Lie".

The technique is a simple one. Tell something so outrageous that "They
wouldn't say THAT if it wasn't true!" is the natural response of those
hearing it. Here they rely on us not researching their "FACTS", but rather
being insured they couldn't say they were number one unless it were true.
-- DW

Old February 25th 05, 11:24 PM
Ken Knapp

You beat me to the punch!

Ken

"James Brautigan" wrote in message
. com...

How can they brag that they are most consistently wrong?

Old February 25th 05, 11:28 PM
Bob Peterson

I seem to recall that what they are saying about the survey is reasonably
accurate. maybe PCGS could sue the people that answered the survey.

Old February 26th 05, 02:50 AM
Anita

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:59:44 +0200, "gogu"
wrote:

Accugrade is suing people who presumably have put their company under a
negative light.
Yesterday I came across one of their auctions and read this:

Maybe we should present some data. In the last two weeks I have
auctioned about 15 certified coins. All the PCGS and NGC went for good
prices. The only coin left standing was a ACG graded MS 64 1897-S
Morgan. It is a beautiful coin offered at a low opening bid. Something
must have made it ugly.

I have three coins I looked at crossing over, since buyers trust some
grading companies more than others. The problem is that PCGS has a
minimum of 5 coins for their $30 or $18 services and crossovers have
to be submitted separately from raw coins. So I would have to pay $50
per coin. The coins aren't worth enough to justify the crossover. I
guess I'll just consider these coins to be unadoptable and make them a
good home here, which is okay. One can never have too many Morgans
around.

Anita
Old February 26th 05, 12:03 PM
Bob Peterson

wrote:

Accugrade is suing people who presumably have put their company under a
negative light.
Yesterday I came across one of their auctions and read this:

Maybe we should present some data. In the last two weeks I have
auctioned about 15 certified coins. All the PCGS and NGC went for good
prices. The only coin left standing was a ACG graded MS 64 1897-S
Morgan. It is a beautiful coin offered at a low opening bid. Something
must have made it ugly.

I don't know if the holder makes much difference. If the coin really is a
nice coin and at a fair price, someone would have probably bought it. What
may be happening is that there is not enough information in your listing for
potential buyers to feel comfortable buying the coin.

Even if the coin really would be an MS64 by whatever standards you choose,
the bad publicity surrounding ACG makes people wonder if it really is. The
only thing you can do is rely on your own reputation, or break it out, and
either sell it raw, or slabbed in another brand of plastic.

Old February 26th 05, 12:23 PM
Anita

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:03:11 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
Even if the coin really would be an MS64 by whatever standards you choose,
the bad publicity surrounding ACG makes people wonder if it really is. The
only thing you can do is rely on your own reputation, or break it out, and
either sell it raw, or slabbed in another brand of plastic.

I have been considering cracking the coins out and just submitting
them as raw coins. I've not opened one of the cases before. I'll have
to take a deep breath and give it a try. A prayer for the coins may be
in order :-)

Anita
Old February 26th 05, 06:02 PM
Fletch

lnxlvr, I just noticed your handle. Several of my colleagues saw two male
lynx in a hissing and urination fight last week while Downeast. My
colleagues were only a few yards away, but the cats were so into the
domination thing they didn't care who was nearby. What an experience!
We've only ever seen them before from helicopters, and as recently as four
years ago thought they were extirpated from Maine.

On topic, I would think that statement by ACG is actionable myself. (But
then so is our typical political ad these days!)

--Keith

news

Old February 26th 05, 06:59 PM
Fletch

Anita--

My advice: A good pair of tin snips helps alot. And lots of loving care
and patience.

--Keith