film containers - okay for storage?

Old July 2nd 03, 03:53 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Dale Hallmark wrote:

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message
Dale Hallmark wrote:

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message

The best-looking copper orphans all receive luxury lodgings. I cut a
slot in the top of an (empty) spaghetti sauce jar.

Alan
'under glass'

They would be shine up some if it wasn't empty ;-)

Dale

I have a 1956 wheat taking an olive oil bath...does that count?

Alan
'clam sauce for Morgans, tomato for cents'

I had a very black buffalo nickel soaking for some months in olive oil.
It lightened it but I don't think it helped it. It is now a very dark grey.
Maybe another few months would help.

I have seen a few black buffalo nickels off and on
for over 30 years and don't understand what happened to them.

Dale

I'm not aware that the olive oil will help with toning. ;-)
The wheatie I started soaking on Monday night was so badly encrusted
that I missed it in a visual inspection of the roll. Only when I put a
4x lens on those coins did I realize there was no Memorial on the
reverse. It appears to be 'just plain dirt' that coats the coin,
although, from my experience, it could be anything at the surface, from
glue to bubblegum to oil to organic compounds best left unexamined.

As I understand it, the olive oil forces a loss of electrostatic
adherence by dirt, and the crusties eventually separate and fall off.

Yesterday I got a 2000-D whose reverse was covered with a big blob of
gold glitter embedded in some clear glue. I don't know of any easy way
to deal with that short of a pretty powerful solvent.

I have seen a lot of grey nickels from circulation, and I'm not certain
what environmental factors make them go that way. It's not limited to
any particular era, but must have something to do with what the 5¢ was
exposed to, IMJ.

Alan
'has two black proof nickels'
Old July 3rd 03, 03:12 AM
Phil DeMayo

Some Coin Jerk asked:

OK, how would one remove the black off of a 1883S Morgan
Dollar. It was recovered recently from the bay near "Putrid
Sound" near Seattle.

It had been soaking in Acetone until the acetone eventually
evaporated. the coin is still as black as ever.

In that case it is probably heavy tarnish from the silver reacting with a
sulfurous compound. This can be removed with a thiourea based dip such as Jewel
Luster or Tarn-X. However, if the tarnish is heavy, it's removal could reveal
surface damage below. Additionally, if the coin is circulated, it will not look
natural after a dip.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old July 3rd 03, 03:05 PM
AnswerMan2

Black Nickels

Years ago, I think it was 1956 they were selling uncirculated black nickels as
"Black Beauties." Apparently the Mint got a batch of nickel that hadn't had the
silicon removed.
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan
Old July 3rd 03, 03:36 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Dale Hallmark wrote:

"AnswerMan2" wrote in message

Black Nickels

Years ago, I think it was 1956 they were selling uncirculated black nickels as
"Black Beauties." Apparently the Mint got a batch of nickel that hadn't had the
silicon removed.
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan

I never saw it in Jeffersons but have seen it numerous time in Buffalos
over the last 36 years. I even posted a picture to a.b.p.n. quite a few months
back.
I am sure I just didn't pay that much attention to the Jeffersons. I have
collected a few uncirculated Jeffersons only recently. It is a series that is
overlooked quite often.

Dale

**THANK GOODNESS!**

Alan
'ignore the 5¢ pieces, they will never have value'
Old July 4th 03, 04:46 AM
BobbyShaw

I have a 1956 wheat taking an olive oil bath...does that count?

Alan
'clam sauce for Morgans, tomato for cents'

I had a very black buffalo nickel soaking for some months in olive oil.
It lightened it but I don't think it helped it. It is now a very dark grey.
Maybe another few months would help.

I've had my buffalo nickel in olive oil for quite a while now. I DID take
pictures last month, but forgot to update the site. Oh yeah, it's another
month... Time to do it again. Check out my sig line to see the progress,
except that I'm now TWO months behind in updating it...

Robert Shaw
--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html