Owners eyes

Old July 3rd 03, 03:25 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Default Owners eyes

Lyntoy1 wrote:

I just finished reading Bruce's comment about having "Owners eyes" and thought
it would make for interesting discussion. Back when I could actually search
bags of coins without getting headaches, I would frequently find "rare" coins!
Heck, I found 6 or more 1916-D Mercury dimes with very, VERY faint mintmarks.
Others with less acute vision never saw those Ds. I have found many overdates
and doubled dies and OMMs! Upon reinspection, many of these coins were saved
for apparently mysterious reasons. Total "great" finds- no 1916-D, 1 1944-D/S,
1 1955-D/D, 1 1942 doubled die quarter out of 5000 or more coins.
Any of you ever suffer from coin transmogrification like me? I have lost
thousands just in Mercury dimes! Mike

My problem appears to be less varietal and more grade-oriented. I find
AU's that become VF-35 if in your hands. Sometimes I can stretch a G-4
all the way to a Fine if it's an early Washington Quarter. ;-/ I'm
more accurate with Lincolns than any other series, but am highly
susceptible to 'Owner's Eyes' on nickels from circulation and mid-20th
Century silver.

Alan
'I guess no one will buy my EF quarters, now'
Old July 3rd 03, 03:38 PM
Lyntoy1

My problem appears to be less varietal and more grade-oriented.
Of course! I had forgotten the how my net worth has suffered due to the way
other people cannot grade my coins correctly! The world appears to have an
outbreak of coin blindness regarding both variety attribution and the fine
subtleties that constitute my AU over your VF (or lower). Although I have tried
to educate some of these fools, their eyes remain closed to the real beauty and
choice quality of my collection.
Mike
AU59.6325
Old July 3rd 03, 04:17 PM
Bruce Remick

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On 03 Jul 2003 13:51:28 GMT, (Lyntoy1) is alleged to have
written:

I just finished reading Bruce's comment about having "Owners eyes" and thought
it would make for interesting discussion. Back when I could actually search
bags of coins without getting headaches, I would frequently find "rare" coins!
Heck, I found 6 or more 1916-D Mercury dimes with very, VERY faint mintmarks.
Others with less acute vision never saw those Ds. I have found many overdates
and doubled dies and OMMs! Upon reinspection, many of these coins were saved
for apparently mysterious reasons. Total "great" finds- no 1916-D, 1 1944-D/S,
1 1955-D/D, 1 1942 doubled die quarter out of 5000 or more coins.
Any of you ever suffer from coin transmogrification like me? I have lost
thousands just in Mercury dimes! Mike

Owners eyes are a problem in Numismatics. Other examples (that I remember) of
owners eyes I comitted.

My AG 1912-D liberty 5c is really a 1912-S.

I DO see a VDB on the reverse of my 1910-S.

My 1932-D quarter was Unc.

My 1955 double die is NOT just a cool example of Machine doubling.

I could almost not see the D on my 1922 1c.

My 1916 Mercury dime is a Matte proof.

I could list others, but you get the idea. In a kid, hope springs eternal.

Bruce (My 1831 half cent is undergraded, too)

My AU large cents turned into VF/EF's during my brief stay with EAC and
it's strict grading standards, so I got out of there FAST!!

Bruce
Old July 3rd 03, 08:42 PM
Coin Saver

From: lyntoy1

I found 6 or more 1916-D Mercury dimes with very, VERY faint mintmarks.

I happen to possess an arguable 1916 "maybe D" Dime. The Grade is probably a G
at best. Mintmark is discernable only by one slight edge of a serif. I've had
several Dealer's opinions, half (meaning a true 50%) say the serif shows it to
be a "D" and the other half says it isn't a "D".

I'm not thinking of selling, unless I can get an affirmed attribution (but not
by ACG).

8-/
Coin Saver
Old July 4th 03, 01:58 AM
John Carney

From: lyntoy1

I found 6 or more 1916-D Mercury dimes with very, VERY faint mintmarks.

I happen to possess an arguable 1916 "maybe D" Dime. The Grade is probably a G
at best. Mintmark is discernable only by one slight edge of a serif. I've had
several Dealer's opinions, half (meaning a true 50%) say the serif shows it to
be a "D" and the other half says it isn't a "D".

I'm not thinking of selling, unless I can get an affirmed attribution (but not
by ACG).

8-/
Coin Saver

I'd love to see a picture of that.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old July 4th 03, 04:41 AM
Mike

I have one of those too. A 1916 Mercury, with a mintmark. The mintmark is
one big blob though and is not discernable. I'll see if I can find which box
it is stashed in and scan it.

I do have a legit FR2 Mecury on Ebay as of tonight. Lots of wear but it is
graded by ANACS. For a look, go to: