Sticking Hawid mounts

Old November 18th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A.J Todd

Default Sticking Hawid mounts

Sorry, another basic question...

How does one use and stick Hawid mounts or similar, a really
idiot/dummy/newbie guide is definitely required, a site will do.

TIA

tt
Old November 18th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

G'day TT,
Tip:there's no such thing as a silly question, apart from not asking it.

I have no idea on your question, however, perhaps you may
consider this resource along with the response you will also get here.

click on:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...l=en&lr=&ie=UT
F-8&oe=UTF-8

then in the second window down "search this group"
type in your search criteria eg: mounts

Then you will see, your topic is deeper than you thought
lots of opinions and suggestions.

Good luck.

Old November 18th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

A.J Todd wrote:
Sorry, another basic question...

How does one use and stick Hawid mounts or similar, a really
idiot/dummy/newbie guide is definitely required, a site will do.

TIA

I have used many Hawid mounts and my experience has taught me to aviod
them like the plague.
In order to do a decent job you must have a mount cutter, use carefully
to get a nice square cut.
Then you must use a Hawid glue pen to seal the top. Here is where the
problem lies. If you are not very, very careful you will get the glue
pen adhesieve on the edge of the stamp creating a boo-boo.
If you do not seal the top the stamps will not stay in place and may
even fall out of the mount.
I never lick-and-stick the mounts, this makes the mount permanently
affixed to the paper.
I use UHU glue. Warning, only use one light swipe so as not to disturb
the mount glue. The mount will adhere snugly to the paper and when
thoroughly dry you can slide a pair of tongs under the mount and it
will pop off with little or no damage to the paper.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old November 19th 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi A.J.,

basically it's cut, lick, stick.

I'm using the (black) mounts from Leuchtturm, because their black is
blacker than the one from Hawid:-)

I further use a Hawid mount cutter (maximum mount height 160 mm). I
don't seal the top of the mounts and I had no problem so far with
stamps falling out, but I started my album maybe one year ago, so
stamps falling out may well be a long-term issue. For souvenir sheets I
use the (top and bottom sealed) sheet mounts which I cut using ruler
and sharp knife.

My albums are intended to be permanent, so I lick the mounts. I'm using
thick-paper (250 g/sqm) album pages. If you don't want to stick the
mounts permanently, I suggest using non-permanent glue (such as the one
used for 3M's post it). I also add Michel catalogue text to each
stamp/sheet so that I know what the stamp issue was about.

If you want to see what it looks like, mail me off-board and I mail a
pic of an album page.

Best.
Klaus

Old November 21st 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton

In a recent message wrote:

Hi A.J.,

basically it's cut, lick, stick.

I'm using the (black) mounts from Leuchtturm, because their black is
blacker than the one from Hawid:-)

Personally Hawid is black enough for me! I use the transparent variety
for very scarce used stamps so that they do not stand out from conventionally
mounted used stamps.

I further use a Hawid mount cutter (maximum mount height 160 mm).

I use a normal Trimmer which can also be used for A4 paper etc.
I arrange the perforations to be just under the edge of the plastic
holding strip thus getting a nice border matching the other side.
For stamps with a standard size I will cut the mounts to match
first.

I don't seal the top of the mounts and I had no problem so far with
stamps falling out, but I started my album maybe one year ago, so
stamps falling out may well be a long-term issue.

I have used mounts for many years and have no problem with
the stamps falling out. I did use another make with the seal at
the top as well but moving stamps (is the new one less heavily mounted?)
was a real pain, and you cannot modify the mount size for those
issues for which Hawid do not have the correct mount size.

For souvenir sheets I
use the (top and bottom sealed) sheet mounts which I cut using ruler
and sharp knife.

I use large transparent photo corners.

My albums are intended to be permanent, so I lick the mounts. I'm using
thick-paper (250 g/sqm) album pages. If you don't want to stick the
mounts permanently, I suggest using non-permanent glue (such as the one
used for 3M's post it).

I lick the mounts, and if I need to rearrange the page I use a new set
(they are not THAT expensive)

--
Tony Clayton

Coins of the UK :
http://www.coinsoftheuk.info
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... One way to better your lot is to do a lot better...
Old November 28th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan

You're supposed to lick them, but I've started to use a small
piece of double sided tape in order make it easeier to re-use
the mounts when I revise a page.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article , says...