Austria Perforations

Old May 15th 05, 12:27 PM
Tony Clayton

Default Austria Perforations

I have always been interested in the many perforation varieties
in the Austrian series from 1874 to 1907. A recent acquisition
of a large quantity of these items has got me trying to sort them
all out.

Gibbons lists all the sets from 1899 to 1906/7 as having Perf 13 x 12.5 or
Perf 13 x 13.5 (plus a few scarce perforations of other sizes)

While I have found both varieties for most of these stamps,
I have found NONE that are 13 x 13.5 for the 1906-7
set (5h yellow-green and 10h to 30h with coloured numerals).

Does anyone have access to a more detailed Austrian catalogue
which can confirm whether or not I have to leave spaces for
the 13 x 13.5 of that set, and whether or not there any
of the stamps in earlier sets which do NOT occur in one
of these two perforations.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old May 15th 05, 02:49 PM
Gerhard Reichert

Hi Tony,

I have a 1994 Michel spezialised catalogue for Austria.

The issue of 1905 is listed with K 13 : 13 1/2 and K 13 : 13 1/2 and L 9
1/4 and L 10 1/2 and L 9 174 : 12 1/2 and L 12 1/2 : 9 1/4.

"L" means Line-perforation, "K" means "Kamm-Perforation".

The 1906/1907 issue is listed with K 13 : 12 1/2 and L 9 1/4 : 12 1/2 and
L 12 1/2 : 9 1/4 and L 9 1/4 and L 10 1/2 .

hope it will help.

best regards

Gerhard

Old May 15th 05, 07:03 PM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 12:27:26 +0100, Tony Clayton
wrote:

I have always been interested in the many perforation varieties
in the Austrian series from 1874 to 1907. A recent acquisition
of a large quantity of these items has got me trying to sort them
all out.

Gibbons lists all the sets from 1899 to 1906/7 as having Perf 13 x 12.5 or
Perf 13 x 13.5 (plus a few scarce perforations of other sizes)

Few? They've overlooked countless numbers of them.

While I have found both varieties for most of these stamps,
I have found NONE that are 13 x 13.5 for the 1906-7
set (5h yellow-green and 10h to 30h with coloured numerals).

Does anyone have access to a more detailed Austrian catalogue
which can confirm whether or not I have to leave spaces for
the 13 x 13.5 of that set, and whether or not there any
of the stamps in earlier sets which do NOT occur in one
of these two perforations.

Well, having mentioned this in the past, but always willing to
revisit, here goes:

It seems that on any given day, the perforations were changed,
depending on how much schnapps the printers were drinking. :^)

Seriously, though, there are perf. changes that even the stoutest of
heart and firmest of foundations would rock.

So, in short, there are so many varieties that even Michel may be
slightly stumped. This goes for postage stamps and revenue stamps of
that era. I collect both. I speak of the "leaf" series. And the
Franz Josef "heads".

If you are collecting perfs, then I would suggest a page for just
about every combination, because there's almost a set for each.
That's how I plan on doing these "horrors". I have 1000s of them to
look over, a true nightmare...

Here's the rub, though - many of them can be had on the cheap, because
not many people know of these perf varieties.

.... as well as the paper types and gum types. Although it may not
look like they have them, they most certainly do. 1 stamp will be
perfectly clear on the back and another have a gum that would take a
knife to scrape off. Pelure paper or "onionskin?" vs. a nice smooth
paper -or- even rough paper. Sheesh...

These are what I call MY Machins.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 15th 05, 07:06 PM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:49:06 +0200, "Gerhard Reichert"
wrote:

Hi Tony,

I have a 1994 Michel spezialised catalogue for Austria.

The issue of 1905 is listed with K 13 : 13 1/2 and K 13 : 13 1/2 and L 9
1/4 and L 10 1/2 and L 9 174 : 12 1/2 and L 12 1/2 : 9 1/4.

"L" means Line-perforation, "K" means "Kamm-Perforation".

The 1906/1907 issue is listed with K 13 : 12 1/2 and L 9 1/4 : 12 1/2 and
L 12 1/2 : 9 1/4 and L 9 1/4 and L 10 1/2 .

hope it will help.

Same results here... Michel 2003. I think Scott got the 1905 confused
with the 1906/1907 issue. Wouldn't put it past 'em.

Now - the biggest question is simply: WHY DID THEY DO THAT?

I'd most certainly like to know, other than coming up with the beer
drinking excuse I always have. :^)

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 17th 05, 01:48 AM

Tony Clayton wrote:
I have always been interested in the many perforation varieties
in the Austrian series from 1874 to 1907. A recent acquisition
of a large quantity of these items has got me trying to sort them
all out.

Gibbons lists all the sets from 1899 to 1906/7 as having Perf 13 x

12.5 or
Perf 13 x 13.5 (plus a few scarce perforations of other sizes)

While I have found both varieties for most of these stamps,
I have found NONE that are 13 x 13.5 for the 1906-7
set (5h yellow-green and 10h to 30h with coloured numerals).

My venerable 1986 SG Part 2 shows only 13 x 12.5 for the 1906-7 set
(Nos 183-188).

Does anyone have access to a more detailed Austrian catalogue
which can confirm whether or not I have to leave spaces for
the 13 x 13.5 of that set, and whether or not there any
of the stamps in earlier sets which do NOT occur in one
of these two perforations.

A pair of detailed articles by Andrew Furst entitled "Perforation
Varieties of the 19th Century" appeared in "Austria", the Journal of
The Austrian Stamp Club of Great Britain, No 50, Oct 1979, pp28-38,
covering Austria up to 1890 and Bosnia to 1900. Part 2, in No 52,
Summer 1980, p30 ff covers the later ones. Articles in several other
issues deal with Bosnia & Herzegovina. I haven't read the No 50 article
thoroughly, but it all looks great fun, including stamps with different
numbers of teeth on left and right. E-mail me if you want a scan.
Unfortunately I don't have issue No 52, though I do have a fairly good
article, "The Definitive Issue of 1904"(-7) by J F Giblin, "Austria" No
39 Oct 1976, pp29-35, which confirms that 13 x 13.5 is _not_ used in
1906-7. I probably have other "Austria" articles on the subject if I
look harder.

Chris

Old May 17th 05, 04:31 AM
Jay T. Carrigan

To see what exists, you need to get one of the specialized
Austria catalogs - Michel, Netto, Ferchenbauer, etc. For
your purposes, an older edition will be fine.

The perforations not listed in SG are known as Friedl perfs,
after the dealer who caused them to be produced. These are
mostly, but not all, the oddball mixed gauges. They exist
mint and occasionally on philatelic covers.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
says...