Watermarks

Old February 13th 04, 05:41 PM
Mark Stett

Default Watermarks

What is the best way to determine watermarks? I don't want to use
hazardous chemicals and I have not been able to get the Morley-Bright
detector to work for me.

Old February 13th 04, 08:20 PM
Albumen

Watermarks are particularly difficult to see on printed surfaces when held
to the light. You could collect just the varieties with selvage to avoid
some of the hassles, but otherwise the best way to detect WM in stamps is
with approved watermarking fluid in a black glass tray. The fluid is the
same that cleaners use.

Lighter fluid is often used in the same way, it is cheaper, but I would
recommend against this due to impurities in the fluid that can be absorbed
by the paper causing premature aging.

I also recommend against using fluids to check for tears, thins and repairs.
If everyone who looks at a stamp checks it in fluid -- the paper will suffer
over the long haul. Simply examine the surface of the stamp on both sides
using a good light and/or a wide 5x power lens. There are any number of
tell-tale signs to look for. If the stamp has a flaw that cannot be detected
in this way its not worth worrying about anyway.

Case in point. A dealer once offered me a fine pair of rare classic
imperforate US stamps with the caveat of a thin that showed only in fluid.
Looking carefully at the stamps I found absolutely no disturbances on the
surface of the paper. Knowing that this paper is of the handmade type (not
listed in the catalog) it is not unusual to find slight depressions in it.
So, I took the discount and have been very pleased with the purchase ever
since.

-a

Old February 13th 04, 09:12 PM
Tom Loepp

Mark Stett wrote:

What is the best way to determine watermarks? I don't want to use
hazardous chemicals and I have not been able to get the Morley-Bright
detector to work for me.

Mark,
I haven't bought watermark fluid for years now (no one sells it here)
and determining watermarks of the 19th century is one of my favorite
pastimes in stamp collecting. When I used watermark fluid, I would get a
headache from looking closely at the stamp and breathing the vapor. One
could buy some OSHA approved breathing apparatus but I decided to
develop another way instead. Although the methods that I have used may
be controversial and not what you are looking for, I've been successful
in finding quite a few varieties on difficult stamps using them. At the
link are two methods and a page of varieties that I found:
http://tloepp.home.mindspring.com/stamps/antigua.html
cheers,
-- Tom Loepp
Email:
Website:
http://loepp.home.mindspring.com/tom/

Old February 14th 04, 12:34 AM
Rodney

G'day Mark,
There is/was an Australian gadget back in the 70's
called the "Philatector"
Not sure how good it was, am on the lookout for one myself

FYI
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=230

(Remove gum to reply)

Old February 14th 04, 03:23 AM
Rodney

| I wasn't so far off using color filters (colored plastic shopping bags). A selection of color
| filters can be had from a photo supply reasonably. I own polarised and polycontrast filters, maybe
| used all together I can come up with something as good or better than a philatector.
| -- Tom Loepp who will be eating crow at 8 o'clock

Given that it incorporates a revolving lens,
I'd say it has a graduated colour filter, (hard to imitate)
Seven Seas are still thriving, so I'll contact them
regards this gadget, inspector.
Good luck with your contrivance, who knows,
you may be able to sell yours within the group :0)

If you have trouble with your placcy bags,
I have some LP's purchased in Taiwan during
R&R from Vietnam, they are lovely shades of orange
green, red, and blue plastic.

Or, as you say, fare at dinner, shall be
Sing a song of sixpence, snip snip
four and twenty blackbirds, baked in a pie.......

(Aust readers shall be happy to note,
"four and twenty" meat pies of Victoria just received
an excellent rating for quality and beef percentage
good news for the pending footy season

Old February 15th 04, 05:13 AM
Rodney

| There is/was an Australian gadget back in the 70's
| called the "Philatector"
| Not sure how good it was, am on the lookout for one myself

Must be a reasonable product,
here it is assembled, with celebrated company.

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=233

Old February 15th 04, 01:27 PM
kevin

a black plastic watermark tray and lighterfluid... ronsons is most readilly
available... kk

"Mark Stett" wrote in message
What is the best way to determine watermarks? I don't want to use
hazardous chemicals and I have not been able to get the Morley-Bright
detector to work for me.

---

99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and watermarks Bob Ingraham General Discussion 7 November 10th 03 09:26 PM
Watermarks Grandpa General Discussion 20 November 2nd 03 11:22 PM
Watermarks J. A. Mc. General Discussion 7 July 21st 03 04:43 PM