Need Help (Identifying) Korean Stamps

Old September 7th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sapphyre

Default Need Help (Identifying) Korean Stamps

Hi everyone,

I think I'm going to join your group for a while. I have a stamp
collection of many thousands (of stamps), and I need some help with
some history and countries and stuff that I haven't learnt (or am not
old enough to know or remember).

Right now, I need to know about North and South Korea. Is there an easy
way to tell which stamps are from North, and which are from South? I
don't own a Scott catalog for these countries... I only have Vol 1 and
3 from 1998, but that only helps with A-B and G-I. I'm hoping some of
you more experienced collectors can explain some things so I can sort
the rest of these stamps out.

Thanks,
Sapphyre

Old September 7th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

hope this helps
http://cjoint.com/data/jhhVQecLML.htm

Old September 7th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Edward A. Locke

"Sapphyre" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I think I'm going to join your group for a while. I have a stamp
collection of many thousands (of stamps), and I need some help with
some history and countries and stuff that I haven't learnt (or am not
old enough to know or remember).

Right now, I need to know about North and South Korea. Is there an easy
way to tell which stamps are from North, and which are from South? I
don't own a Scott catalog for these countries... I only have Vol 1 and
3 from 1998, but that only helps with A-B and G-I. I'm hoping some of
you more experienced collectors can explain some things so I can sort
the rest of these stamps out.

Thanks,
Sapphyre

Here's what you should see on each one.

South Korea:
http://spacestamps.amhosting.com/sta...ty.php?ent=kor
Unicode: 대한민국우표

South Korea usually has a yin-yang symbol by this string of characters also.

North Korea:
http://spacestamps.amhosting.com/sta...ty.php?ent=prk
Unicode: 조선우표

|---------------------------------------------------|
| Edward A. Locke |
| huygens1962ATyahoo.com |
Old September 7th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Sapphyre wrote:
Hi everyone,

I think I'm going to join your group for a while. I have a stamp
collection of many thousands (of stamps), and I need some help with
some history and countries and stuff that I haven't learnt (or am not
old enough to know or remember).

Right now, I need to know about North and South Korea. Is there an easy
way to tell which stamps are from North, and which are from South? I
don't own a Scott catalog for these countries... I only have Vol 1 and
3 from 1998, but that only helps with A-B and G-I. I'm hoping some of
you more experienced collectors can explain some things so I can sort
the rest of these stamps out.

Thanks,
Sapphyre

Hello Sapphy

Welcome to the group.

(A) For stamps of North Korea there are several things to look for.

http://volleyballphilately.com/start...a_Nord_09b.jpg

This sheet shows the flag of North Korea
which appears on many of their stamps

====================================

http://volleyballphilately.com/start...2003b%20vs.jpg

This stamp shows the name of the country in Korean.
(4 letters at bottom right.)

=====================================

http://volleyballphilately.com/start...ea_Nord_06.jpg

This stamp shows the name as DPR KOREA (sometimes just DPRK)

======================================

(B) SOUTH KOREA

http://www.geo.uw.edu.pl/HOBBY/STAMP.../chonjeyon.gif

Stamps are usually inscribed REPUBLIC OF KOREA.
They have the circle symbol for Ying + Yang (see top left corner)

http://www.atlantic-cable.com/stamps...80w%201990.JPG

On this stamp, the country name is just KOREA.

http://pennfamily.org/KSS-USA/images...mp-sheet-5.gif

This sheet shows stamps wshowing the flag of South Korea.

(C) EMPIRE OF KOREA

http://www.scottphilatelics2.co.uk/fffil184.jpg
http://www.scottphilatelics2.co.uk/fffilllllL941.jpg
http://www.scottphilatelics2.co.uk/fffilllllL942.jpg

These stamps come from the Empire of Korea.
In 1910, the Empire of Korea was annexed by Japan
with the Japan-Korea Annexation Treaty, beginning
a 35-year period of Japanese rule. (1910-1945)

I hope that this helps you and that you stay around
here a long time. Hopefully you will have a lot of fun
and learn many things about stamps.

Blair

Old September 7th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sapphyre

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help with the Koreas. I got some Vario pages today,
and I'm ready to try and sort things out. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot
more questions in the future. I found a vintage sheet of "flags of the
world" and there's some flags that have been long since used, for
places like Viet Nam, Laos, Yemen, etc. I'm sure I'm going to need some
history lessons to find out the differences of these countries (or
perhaps I could start a thread on that). The stamp dealer told me the
library has a Scott Catalog I can use when I get stuck, but my issue
is, that's a ton of pages if I don't know what I'm looking for.
Hopefully when I get down to the stuff I have no clue on, it will only
be a dozen or so images. I tend to get lost on a series, like when the
Finnish stamps had Russian on them. Fortunately my friend from Finland
was able to help me on that one. Those stamps are cool!

Cheers,
Sapphyre

Old September 8th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Hi Sapphyre

I'm glad that we could help you. The vario pages are a good
way to go. I use them myself.

New catalogues are expensive. A full set of Scott's will cost
hundreds of dollars. There are 6 volumes.

However, if you want to get catalogues inexpensively,
I suggest that you look at local stamp shows for used
catalogues that may be a few years old.

At stamp shows, I have purchased catalogues that
are maybe 5 years old for as little as $5 or less. I have
bought catalogues that are 20 years old for under $1,

The internet has many resources that can help
stamp collectors. Just ask here and many of us
will try and point you in the right direction.

Above all, have fun with your stamps. Over the
years I have met many collectors and have
become good friends with quite a few.

Happy Collecting - it's a fun way to continually
learn and meet new people.

Blair

Old September 14th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Hi Sapphyre

There used to be a publication called "Stamp Atlas" or similar which
contained all the stamp- collecting "entities" and their geographical
locations and historical context.

For instance Harare ( formerly Salisbury ) has at different times used
stamps of. British South Africa Company, Rhodesia, Southern
Rhodesia,Rhodesia and Nyasaland,Southern Rhodesia (again),Rhodesia (
again ) and now Zimbabwe.

Many other countries/areas have similarly confusing histories, and the
above book can help sort it out.

Also if you have a stamp you have a query about you can google the
inscription or part thereof + stamp - you would be surprised at what
information will come crawling out of the woodwork. Or just ask on this
or one of the other stamp forums - most of us just love to show off
what bits of knowledge we have - collectively the knowledge is awesome
- there is usually someone who knows or has access to knowledge about
absolutely everything philatelic ( and any other subject too sometimes
).

Don't be shy of asking - the only stupid question is the one you are
afraid to ask!

Malcolm