Australia~Stamps not in the catalogue.

Old December 15th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Australia~Stamps not in the catalogue.

We landed a rare fish yesterday.
Australia Post's "Across Town" Parcel stamp.

First I have ever seen, similar to the rare "Box Link" Sydney labels of the early 90's

I have written to Aust Post as this service does not appear on their website,
or it is very well hidden.
I have a feeling this particular label comes with a service (probably repetitive)
on delivering magazines to Anglican Churches throughout our city.

http://cjoint.com/data/mqbFZxDJhz.htm

The label comes diecut to prevent removal and re-use.
http://cjoint.com/data/mqbLUljkNI.htm

Old December 16th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

You are most welcome Tony,
all my scans / images are free to anyone to download and
retaining on their computers.
If there is anything that comes with a known copyright, I try to indicate
by "acknowledgement"

It is difficult to adequately describe these labels,
It is used to prepay postage so I should think "stamp" [perf1]?

I'll keep an eye out for you in our Church in-box, and
send you one if they appear.
I'll post any response I get from Australia Post.

Gibbons Stamp Monthly address these "Across Town" labels in their March 1999 issue
a *.pdf is worth viewing here....
http://tiny.cc/S9C6p

HTH
rodney

"Tony Vella" wrote in message ...
Hi Rodney.
With your permission to copy and include in my virtual postal stickers collection? TIA.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old December 16th 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Tony Vella wrote :
Hi Rodney.
With your permission to copy and include in my virtual postal stickers
collection? TIA.

He he he ...
Without asking permission to Rodney (I do apologize for that !) I placed
a post on the French speaking philatelic newsgroup :
in order to ask for a good translation of 'die cut' in French :

BTW, Rodney : I would be interested by a picture of this new 'stamp'
showing a little more distinctly the cuts that you have symbolised here
http://cjoint.com/data/mqbLUljkNI.htm

Perhaps instead of a scan, taking a picture with a camera and a grazing
lighting (a lamp nearly in the plane of the stamp) ???

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old December 16th 09, 05:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Pierre, Tony, Hi Guys,
My father was a "tool and die maker" for Westlands aircraft in Somerset, UK,
so the vernacular is a common one for me

Fairly easy to understand if you consider a "cookie cutter"
Usually the term is referred to in tandem, as a "Punch and Die"

The punch (in our example) comes down on the (sandwiched stamp paper and backing sheet)
it cuts the paper, leaving the backing paper untouched, hence when you peel the stamp from the backing
it leaves the serrated edged selvage paper behind (in normal peel and stick issues).

In our case here the punch is design as an oval cutter to give the dimensions of the label,
and slit pins to puncture the paper in the design I roughly drew.

These same "slits" are evidenced on the Spanish Postal Labels in a half moon shape ...C

Hope this goes some way to explanation.

I consider all "peel and stick" stamps to be "die cut", I find it a more sophisticated
designation, some refer to them as "kiss cut" as you may imagine, with the very low tolerances required.
rodney

..

in order to ask for a good translation of 'die cut' in French :

Hello Pierre.

I don't know what they call "die cut" on BoulMiche but around here we call it "timbre découpé à l'emporte-pièce"
usually with "dentelu aucune" in parentheses. En espérant que ca t'aide.
Amicalement.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old December 16th 09, 05:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Sorry Pierre,
my camera is with my wife and son, probably snapping
pics of the family, or a stupa as we speak.
(or taking pictures of silly faces from my son, he's at that age you know ;-)

Here is a scan at 600 dpi untouched, you can see the slits
http://cjoint.com/data/mqhF5QmJla.htm

or a computer drawn slit example
http://cjoint.com/data/mqhIJE3UiS.htm

download and toggle between the two perhaps.

HTH
rodney

Old December 16th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Pierre,

there is "die cut" and "kiss die cut", the stickers on backing paper had
been "kissed die cut" or "kiss died cut" or "kiss die cut"

groetjes, Rein

Op Wed, 16 Dec 2009 04:56:21 +0100 schreef Pierre COURTIADE
:

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old December 17th 09, 12:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in message
You are most welcome Tony,
all my scans / images are free to anyone to download and
retaining on their computers.
If there is anything that comes with a known copyright, I try to indicate
by "acknowledgement"

That's very nice of you, Rodney. I've always appreciated as well the large
spectrum of your philatelic interests as the quality of your scans.

Victor

Old December 18th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thank you Victor,
your words come as a nice feel-good Christmas present.
Thank you for showing appreciation.
Merry Christmas to you.

As an aside, I have had counsel from you before with "Lei" and its derivatives,
now I have 3 stamps with the following value tablets
care to explain how they differ please?

1 Bani
1 Ban
1 Banu