1908 THE HOBBY CLUB An International Exchange Executive OfficesWinnipeg Canada

Old April 18th 09, 09:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
CASACUDOR

Default 1908 THE HOBBY CLUB An International Exchange Executive OfficesWinnipeg Canada

some questions about the poster stamp (label; vignete) THE HOBBY CLUB
An International Exchange Executive Offices Winnipeg Canada ... face
value was $ 1 CND !!!

http://casacudor.googlepages.com/1%2...nipeghobbyclub

I check in the SG postal issues from 1908 and face value of them was
around 62 cents. Today the SG value for Quebec Tercentenary series is
£ 325.00. THE HOBBY CLUB poster stamp was $ 1! in 1908. Today? Any
body know what was possible to buy in 1908 with $ 1?
Old April 18th 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Were in "Some Curious Weeds" and Linn's 1964
See Richard C Witt Collection
http://www.cinderellas.info/wittcoll/images/106530.jpg

Nice to see some Cinderellas appearing now and then................

Old April 18th 09, 10:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

One copy is for auction on ebay for $5
http://buy.ebay.vn/buying/vn/display...ipeg-Canada-ps

Old April 18th 09, 10:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
CASACUDOR

On Apr 18, 12:16*pm, "rodney" wrote:
One copy is for auction on ebay for $5http://buy.ebay.vn/buying/vn/display/170191821341_Hobby-Club-Internat...

"CASACUDOR" wrote in message
some questions about the poster stamp (label; vignete) THE HOBBY CLUB
An International Exchange Executive Offices Winnipeg Canada *... face
value was $ 1 CND !!!

http://casacudor.googlepages.com/1%2...nipeghobbyclub

I check in the SG postal issues from 1908 and face value of them was
around 62 cents. Today the SG value for Quebec Tercentenary series is
£ 325.00. THE HOBBY CLUB poster stamp was $ 1! in 1908. Today? Any
body know what was possible to buy in 1908 with $ 1?

Is not the same stamp !!! please see my stamp + the block shown in
your fist link
http://www.cinderellas.info/wittcoll/images/106530.jpg
and compare with ebay pics. I think that on ebay is a fake or a
reprint?
Old April 18th 09, 10:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

That's a tough call,
a minor valued label, and gummed.
Maybe a reprint, doubt a fake.
shall we say a "variety"

"CASACUDOR"

Old April 18th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Apr 18, 5:47*am, "rodney" wrote:
That's a tough call,
a minor valued label, and gummed.
Maybe a reprint, doubt a fake.
shall we say a "variety"

"CASACUDOR"
Is not the same stamp !!! please see my stamp + the block shown in
your fist link
*http://www.cinderellas.info/wittcoll/images/106530.jpg
and compare with ebay pics. I think that on ebay is a fake or a
reprint?

Both of you are correct.

"The Hobby Club" was a club that existed to help collectors
exchange items. It was a department of "The Hobbyist"
a monthly magazine of 32 pages, that was published in
Winnipeg, Canada in the early 1900s.

It was affiliated with the Winnipeg Stamp Club of the
Canadian Philatelic Society.

Any references to The Hobbyist, that I have seen, date up
to World War I (1914), but it may have continued later.

C. A. Hives was in charge of the Hobby Club Department
of the "Hobbyist" in Winnipeg back in 1909 and 1910

A copy of The Hobbyist from 1910 was recently offered
on eBay at $8.95 US.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/28/93/d634_1.JPG

Some advertisers included Louis Bartel, H F Bowker,
and A C Roessler. A $4 Columbian was offered at $3.60

A PDF file of the Hobbyist (27 MBytes) is online at:
http://ia300119.us.archive.org/0/ite...02hobbuoft.pdf

As for the "stamps" , these were advetising stamps
(poster stamps) and undoubtedly there was more
than one variety, as they would have been reprinted
as supplies ran low. These did no postal service,
so they are not in any catalogues.

The $1 value was probably the later annual
membership / subscription fee for The Hobbyist.
It was originally 50c a year.

As Rodney says, a variety this poster stamp was
recently offered on eBay for $5 US. It went unsold.

Since the seller was a dealer who sells pretty well
all of his advertising stamps for $5, except for mass
printed ones from the US, which he sells at $1 or $2,
I would say that your variety of the "stamp" would
also retail for $5 US.

Blair