Supporting the ripped and torn.

Old March 19th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Supporting the ripped and torn.

Reserve prices.

http://cjoint.com/data/dvqFng0R2s.htm

$150.00
1922 10/- grey & pale aniline pink kangaroo in unused condition (mint
without gum). The lower left corner section of perforation has been neatly
reattached by a sliver of stamp hinge on reverse. Very cleverly done & not
apparent from the front unless highlighted. Save $100's with this fresh
example. SG 43b

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://cjoint.com/data/dvqHCTeMwT.htm

$250.00

1916 ?1 chocolate & dull blue kangaroo with the 8mm Telegraph Puncture
variety. Fine used with

lovely colour. SG 44var.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://cjoint.com/data/dvqJgIQLS2.htm

$550.00

1919 ?1 bistre-brown & bright blue kangaroo very fine used by neat 18 Oct 20
Queensland cds. An expertly added perforation on the lower left corner is
difficult to see, but gives the benefit of a low starting estimate on a
stamp that would retail at $2200+. SG 44b

Old March 20th 09, 10:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Mar 19, 6:53*pm, "rodney" wrote:
[...]

Yes, that might apply to stamps that regularly sell for over $2000 ,
but how many of those are in your, my, or anyone else here's
collection?
Not too many, I would venture.

The point is that every rule there are some exceptions.

Of all the stamps ever issued, the majority catalogue in at minimum
value.
In the case of Scott, that is 20 cents and replacement copies can be
had
for 5 or 10 cents each.

In such cases, replacing torn and otherwise damaged specimens, would
cost very little money and make the collection look a lot better.

What I have advised beginning collectors is to collect the best
condition
possible at a price they can afford. It is fine to include a "space
filler"
until a better copy comes along. Today, a scan of a good copy can
also
be used as a space filler until the appropriate stamp is found.

Blair

Old March 20th 09, 11:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

A fair argument,
however, one needs to attach the advice to the time of issue.
If the collectors in 1913 had thrown out the ripped and torn
we would have been deprived of these beauties.

"Blair"

Old March 20th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

Blair schrieb:
On Mar 19, 6:53 pm, "rodney" wrote:
[...]

I would rather say NOT to vaste any money on "spacefillers", but to save
the money until you can afford to buy a sound coppy in affordable condition.

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!
Old March 20th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Blair wrote:

What I have advised beginning collectors is to collect the best
condition
possible at a price they can afford. It is fine to include a "space
filler"
until a better copy comes along. Today, a scan of a good copy can
also
be used as a space filler until the appropriate stamp is found.

It offends me to even think about putting a scanned stamp image on my
album page. Damaged or poorly centered space fillers are fine, just as
long as they are really stamps.

Bill
Old March 21st 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Interesting to observe the passion about behaviour.
I don't think I could put a scanned image on an album page either,
however I certainly have them in my stockbooks.
Some people collect stamps as a physical discipline, and put huge
importance on centreing and so on, I collect more with the interest
on social history.
Of course I would prefer a better centred stamp to fit a set, but would
opt to spend the money on a poorer stamp of a country I was still
collecting.
It's just the ying and yang of collecting.

I find it a tremendous assistance to have scans in my stockbooks, mainly
of auction catalogued issues with their reserves, of stamps that I may or
may not
come across, it keeps information "at hand".

"Bill Sharpe"

Old March 22nd 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Bill Sharpe found these unused words:

Blair wrote:

What I have advised beginning collectors is to collect the best
condition
possible at a price they can afford. It is fine to include a "space
filler"
until a better copy comes along. Today, a scan of a good copy can
also
be used as a space filler until the appropriate stamp is found.

It offends me to even think about putting a scanned stamp image on my
album page. Damaged or poorly centered space fillers are fine, just as
long as they are really stamps.

That's OK, Bill ... it offended Earl A. to think that we could have virtual
collections and show our stamps on computers.

Perhaps it's luddite time again.

I'd rather place a scan with overprinted information of the ID of the stamp
needed, than a dog meat copy!

But then, with the early GB there's so much to check to tell a similar
looking stamp from another - Easier to put a scan from the imprimatur with
the ID, than something you really have to double check.

Whatever floats your boat is fine with me. Collect what you want and how
you want -- that's what collecting is all about.

The neat thing about scanned stamp images, either your own stamps or
those found on the Internet, is that you can zoom in on them to examine
details without having to squint through a magnifying glass.

Bill
Old March 23rd 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Blair wrote:

[...]

Who 'squints through a magnifying glass'? Haven you read the many posts here
about small USB microscopes that allow instant viewing of small objects on
your huge 19" monitor?

You are the same B.S. that was writing about computer advancement in
Luddins, aren't you?

No, I write for Linn's, and it's "is writing" not "was writing," thank
you. vbg

And I'm not sure I'd label it "computer advancement."

And many, many years ago I reviewed a product called Looking Glass's
Electronic Magnifying Glass. The article was published May 14, 1990. The
program cost $395 back then and didn't even included the required scanner.

Bill
Old March 24th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

I did not waste money on the San Marino stamp illustrated
at http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/stamps/sm20l.jpg
but I think despite the missing corner 8-( it makes a better
class of spacefiller!

The stamp (Sassone 158) catalogues at 450 euro...
what a pity the post office clerk tore the stamp before
attaching it to the letter.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old March 24th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Nice stamp Tony,
why did you opt not to soak off the paper?
for my electronic album, I would need to
add the corner via manipulation.
Victor Manta is the expert at that.

"Tony Clayton" wrote in message
I did not waste money on the San Marino stamp illustrated
at http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/stamps/sm20l.jpg
but I think despite the missing corner 8-( it makes a better
class of spacefiller!

The stamp (Sassone 158) catalogues at 450 euro...
what a pity the post office clerk tore the stamp before
attaching it to the letter.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
... No man is an island. But some of us have long peninsulas.

Ripped and torn stamps. rodney General Discussion 3 March 10th 09 02:24 PM
Rip Torn. Rod General Discussion 2 December 24th 06 01:05 AM
Used stamps attached to torn envelopes Smith General Discussion 15 December 19th 06 03:48 PM
You have to see it to believe it-somebody is getting RIPPED OFF Rick Braden Coins 15 September 22nd 04 12:48 AM
I'm torn... Paul Coins 3 September 4th 03 10:42 PM