new to the group but very interested

Old April 19th 09, 07:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default new to the group but very interested

I was encouraged by my parents to collect stamps "as it is
educational" and guess what - it was and still is! At the age of about
11 I could recite the capital city of almost every country in the
world.Admitted I have never quite got my head round the new names of
all the non-Commonwealth African countries, and other new nations.

My majors at school were Geography and History, and I have never quite
worked out whether that was the root or the result of being a stamp
collector !My boys now both grown up, never cease to amaze me at their
ignorance of the world around them ( regrettably they never collected
stamps ), and my wife tolerates rather than encourages me - she is
somewhat more sympathetic when I explained to her that it keeps me out
of pubs and stops me chasing other men's wives !!

Another aspect which should not be overlooked is that as you get older
the intellectual effort required to pursue this hobby at whatever
level you want to collect is very healthy brain-exercise !

As has been said before people here are happy to help with information
- and we have one member here who is a one-man Google substitute
( only even more efficient at digging out obscure net references ). I
would love to know how he does it !

Malcolm

On Apr 6, 8:32*am, joshuamcgee wrote:
On Mar 19, 4:57*pm, Jim wrote:

Ralphael1 wrote:
On Mar 19, 6:50 pm, jim wrote:
Hello:

Welcome to the group JIM. Many of are also OLD stampers with varied
interests.

I will have to agree with Raphael, stamp collecting is one of those
hobbies that you either love or have no use for. *My ex-wife and kids

Hello Jim,

Welcome, as has been said, to the group.

This may startle my cohorts, but I am thirty years old. *I began
collecting stamps in 1987. *The first pane I purchased was the North
American Wildlife issue.

My son is five years old. *He has a stamp album. *He earns stamps for
particularly "good" behavior. *He does not strictly differentiate them
from "stickers", but he loves them all the same. *He is a through-and-
through thematic collector. *He is a devotee of coal-fired rail
engines, and when he has been PARTICULARLY good, demands a new train
stamp in his album. *His album? *An empty approvals booklet from the
1950s.

I started, briefly, collecting stamps when I was still in Japan, where
I spent some formative years. *At age 8.5, I moved to the United
States, and when a stamp collecting adult came to "hook" the class on
the passion (in -- I guess -- 1988) I was grabbed forever. *Blah blah
blah, putting it aside for girls later on. *But I picked it up again
quickly when I was married. *At age 22 I was back in the thick,
getting letters published in Linn's and starting to specialize.

I am not a child, per se. *But I am not sure my 1988 self is entirely
different from children today. *Yes, we didn't have the Internet, we
didn't have computers, blah blah. *But it is a captivating venture,
and may "stick" in more kids than you might think, if for nothing else
than immediacy and tactile engagement. *I don't think the CIA Factbook
and Wikipedia have obselitized stamps. *My ex-wife -- four or five
years ago! -- watched a film and said she had never heard anything
about the Spanish civil war! *Egads. *But, of course: I knew of this
from age seven or eight. *Hearing of a bombing in Harare, and being
able to find a cover in a more experienced collector's trove?
Priceless. *Stamps bring it home as nothing else does.

I've had people say to me things like, "But how did you know AT ALL
that a trident stood for Ukraine". *The answer: yes, you guessed it.

So, welcome. *We'll be here, young and old alike. *Looking forward to
seeing your posts.

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, MBPC