PCGS Grading Experiment Results and Comments

Old September 27th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Ng

Default PCGS Grading Experiment Results and Comments

Hi all,

A few months ago, I mentioned that I was going to send some "other"
slabs in for Crossovers to PCGS. Here are the results.

The Good

PCI 1898-O Morgan MS65 -- PCGS MS65
PCI 1880-O Morgan MS62 -- PCGS MS62
PCI 1923 Peace -- PCGS MS64

The OK

PCI 1922 Peace MS60 -- PCGS AU58
PCI 1925 Peace MS64 -- PCGS MS63

The Bad

PCI 1900 Lafayette AU55 -- PCGS Cleaned
PCI 1893-O Morgan AU50 -- PCGS Cleaned

The Ugly

NNC 1909 VDB MS67RD -- Artifical Color
NTC 1927 $1 MS63 -- Rim Dent

Here are my comments.

I basically got what I paid for. The PCI's were all old-style first
generation green holders, with the double dashes, 10 digit serial
numbers, etc. The Lafayette and the 1893-O, I paid about 20% below
greysheet bid for each of them. The NNC and the NTC I paid about $75
and $50 respectively. The NTC was a disappointment. You can't see the
rim dent on the holder.

That's all.

Mike
Old September 27th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

A question - for the coins considered ungradable by PCGS, do they
remove the coins from the original holders and return them in a body
bag, or do they leave them as is? Thanks ...

On Sep 27, 8:42 am, Michael Ng wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
says...

Hi all,

A few months ago, I mentioned that I was going to send some "other"
slabs in for Crossovers to PCGS. Here are the results.

Errr, could you clarify if you mean that you sent them in, while
still in the previous holder? Or did you take them out first?

They were still in their holders.