Just a point of clarification from Ira

Old July 5th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

Default Just a point of clarification from Ira

On June 30th, "ned" promoted, on this newsgroup, an obviously
counterfeit 1955/55 1c tha had been described in an eBay auction as
MS-64/65 Gem Red.

Several of us commented on teh bogus coin, as did i, and I included a
photo of a GENUINE 1955/55 DDO 1c that I had sold several months ago.
I commented that even a low-end MS-64 Rd of that
famous Doubled Die would sell for at least $8000 and a nice one would
sell for well over that.

Oly then responsed with the following post:

Ned wrote:

eBay:http://easyurl.net/55_double_die

Sold for $2,425

What does THAT prove, Ned? Some fool with little background in how a
genuine one should look paid over $2400 for a bogus coin worth
nothing!

What's surprising at that you proudly report the sales price as if
that's something "special." A genuine red 1955/55 in mediocre
condition and I mean mediocre sells for about $8000.00
at a minimum! Why would the seller leave $5600 potential profit on the
table? Maybe because the coin is NOT as described?

Oly writes:

Yeah Ned, dammit, who the hell are you to pass judgement on a coin
when we have the great and totally Magnifi-CENT OZ to THINK FOR
US!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF IT'S NOT AN IRA COIN, Ned, IT's Poopey!!!!!!!! DROSS!!!!!!!

OH IRA I AGREE WITH EVERY THING YOU HAVE EVER THOUGHT, DONE OR
SAID!!!!!!!!!

YOU ALONE ARE WORHTY!!!!!!!!

oly

This post was uncalled for as I was responding to the original
poster's attempt to promote a bogus coin and criticized "Ned" for
ponting out that the "coin" sold for $2400 plus, as if it proved
something!

So, a few days later, I listed for a sale a nice 1955 DDO that I
bought for resale at the Baltimore show, I did indeed state in my
subject line in RCC "Oly..this one's for you." Tongue in cheek and
not derogatory as Oly's posts have been.

Yet Oly persists in his vindictive posts about this coin, about my
integrity, the folly of spending over $13,000 for any coin when one
could buy over twenty $20 St Gaudens for that money, ad nauseum. and
that after all "Ira started it by refrring to Oly in his subject
line."

I think it's woorthwhile to show the differences between a counterfeit
coin and a genuine one, and if I have a photo of a genuine one, I tend
to post it to illustrate these differences.

But, with Oly, who appears to have lots of time on his hands, believes
no good deed deserves to go unpunished.

Well, I'm done discussing this any more. It's boring and non-
productive.

Ira

Old July 5th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alan Marshall[_2_]

Ira, I dont know why you let the gibberings of that clown get to you.

He obviously has NO IDEA that a coin collector can choose what to collect.

To me a 55 DD is MORE of a coin than a $20 gold piece that saw little
circulation
Both are hundreds of years too modern for me, but I can appreciate them for
what they are, and that indeed others like them.

I have nothing but professional respect for you Ira as a dealer even though
I will never meet you.

Oly is nothing more than a jelously driven troll.

Alan Marshall

ps.com...

Old July 5th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 5, 11:56 am, "Alan Marshall"
wrote:
Ira, I dont know why you let the gibberings of that clown get to you.

He obviously has NO IDEA that a coin collector can choose what to collect.

To me a 55 DD is MORE of a coin than a $20 gold piece that saw little
circulation
Both are hundreds of years too modern for me, but I can appreciate them for
what they are, and that indeed others like them.

I have nothing but professional respect for you Ira as a dealer even though
I will never meet you.

Oly is nothing more than a jelously driven troll.

Alan Marshall

ps.com...

Oly writes:

[...]

Ira- Hide quoted text -

Rather more an pronouncement "ex cathedra" from Lord God and Penny
Pope Ira? "Ex cathedra" and we have no recourse?

Fall to your knees, oh cult members...worship...worship...

oly

Old July 5th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

Well, I'm done discussing this any more. It's boring and non-
productive.

Ira

Amazingly RCC can be rather civil with the old Plonk feature.

Old July 5th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle

I missed most of this exchange because of the "block" feature. It's a sure
bet that anyone who has a problem with Ira, gets "Kill Filed" from me.

Wes

Old July 6th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 5, 4:34 pm, "Wes Chormicle" wrote:
I missed most of this exchange because of the "block" feature. It's a sure
bet that anyone who has a problem with Ira, gets "Kill Filed" from me.

Wes

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

Well, I'm done discussing this any more. It's boring and non-
productive.

Ira

Amazingly RCC can be rather civil with the old Plonk feature.- Hide quoted text -

I don't kill file people from Utah; but I put my hand over my wallet
before I read their messages.

oly

Old July 6th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jan

I don't understand why anyone feels justifaction in trying to respond to the
bogus coins in this newsgroup and therefore giving the cretons some kind of
justification in responding.

I don't understand when someone posts something degoratory in the newsgroup
and one of you
nice people respond to them giving them fodder.

DON'T start a chain for the bad guys....

Let them know it's fake and report them and that's it..

that will slow them down jeez

Jan

All that is right with the world is twisted.

eat your pretzel

Old July 6th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 02:02:27 +0100 (BST), Ned ] wrote:
In article
"jan" wrote:

Let them know it's fake and report them and that's it..

http://301url.com/coins_contact_eBay (login required)

What kind of login, Ned, our eBay login?

Old July 6th 07, 07:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Ng

Wes Chormicle wrote:
I missed most of this exchange because of the "block" feature. It's a sure
bet that anyone who has a problem with Ira, gets "Kill Filed" from me.

Wes

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

Well, I'm done discussing this any more. It's boring and non-
productive.

Ira

Amazingly RCC can be rather civil with the old Plonk feature.

Is it that people who have problems with Ira get "Kill Filed", or those
who disagree with Ira get "Kill Filed"?

For the most part, I don't see much wrong with Oly's posts. Sometimes
acerbic, but mostly to the point.

Oly's sometimes sarcastic posts bring an important point. Many of us
believe that just because someone posts in this newsgroup and is at
least semi-respectable, that whatever he says must be right. If my
memory serves me correct, someone wrote that we must be careful of not
being lemmings.

We must further remember that Ira is a dealer. While one of his goals
may be to contribute educational information to the newsgroup, another
of his goals is to sell items to those interested.

Furthermore, many of us like to praise Ira for his quality coins. I
have purchased from Ira in the past, and I find the coins and other
items I purchased from him to be most outstanding.

However, having said this, I will further state that Ira is not perfect.
For coppers, rare types, and key dates of other types (e.g. 1916-D
Mercury Dime), I would find him to be very useful. However, I do find
that I have differing opinions with him on "type coins" based on his
eBay auctions. In fact, for the most part, I would most likely purchase
the less expensive (i.e. under $1000) type coins from others, primarily
because with some effort, I can find coins that are both of better
quality and of better price than what Ira provides.

As for my perception of the non-dealers in the newsgroup. I have
purchased coins from some. They are all good, and their grading skills
are reasonably accurate. Just be careful not to let your personal
feelings affect your pocketbook judgment.

Mike
Old July 7th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Farley

Yes, just your regular eBay log in. Takes you to the page for reporting
a problem with a coin auction.
Bruce