Can I still redeem pre-1996 $100 US Dollar Bill?

Old November 15th 03, 12:35 AM
Krow

Default Can I still redeem pre-1996 $100 US Dollar Bill?

Hi

I came across some pre-1996 $100 US Dollar Bills the other day, and
wondered if I could still redeem them for current ones? If so, how
would I go about doing it? They aren't collector's items etc.

Thanks
KP

Old November 15th 03, 01:01 AM
Coin Saver

From: krow_park

I came across some pre-1996 $100 US Dollar Bills the other day, and wondered

if I could still redeem them for current ones?
Yes.

how would I go about doing it?

1) Spend them;
2) deposit them into the bank.

They aren't collector's items

Are you certain of that? I wouldn't be too certain about that...

8-/

Coin Saver
Old November 15th 03, 02:01 AM
Scottishmoney

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message What would
make you think you can't spend or deposit such a note? Do
you have troubles when you find older fivers or tenners? It's not like
in some countries where you get new money every decade or so.

The short answer to your question is: every piece of money ever
produced by the USA for use in the USA is and always will be good. So
long as there is a USA, obviously.

Padraic.

For emergency money, I have a small hoard of old well worn gold
certificates, early FRN's etc that I have just in case. The oldest note I
have gotten in change was a 1934-A $20, I kept it. The dealer here in town
sells VG-F examples of the 1934 $10's for $10.50 each.

Dave

---

Old November 15th 03, 03:39 AM
Padraic Brown

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:01:14 -0500, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message What would
make you think you can't spend or deposit such a note? Do
you have troubles when you find older fivers or tenners? It's not like
in some countries where you get new money every decade or so.

The short answer to your question is: every piece of money ever
produced by the USA for use in the USA is and always will be good. So
long as there is a USA, obviously.

Padraic.

For emergency money, I have a small hoard of old well worn gold
certificates, early FRN's etc that I have just in case. The oldest note I
have gotten in change was a 1934-A $20, I kept it. The dealer here in town
sells VG-F examples of the 1934 $10's for $10.50 each.

Good price! I don't think they sell that cheaply around here. What
I don't have are any early FRNs or gold notes. Will have to rectify
that at some point... Nothing fancy or CU, just some used examples
will do. It's not necessarily for emergencies (I can't think of an
emergency that would make worn SCs or whatever any more spendable than
new money), but I have a little hoard of USNs and SCs, mostly gotten
from the bank. Best haul ever being 19 deuces (lightly folded, mostly,
some consecutive and a couple stars) and 8 $1 SCs (uncirculated, but
crinkly, all consecutive stars - too bad about the crinkles!).

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old November 15th 03, 11:43 AM
Scottishmoney

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
Best haul ever being 19 deuces (lightly folded, mostly,
some consecutive and a couple stars) and 8 $1 SCs (uncirculated, but
crinkly, all consecutive stars - too bad about the crinkles!).

Padraic.

On Wednesday I went into my bank to cash a cheque, asked the teller if they
had any deuces. I expected the customary no reply. But then.... she
replied yes they did, $74 worth. I asked for $20 in deuces, and much to my
incredulous delight.... drumroll puhleeezz...

They were all CU and consecutive serial series 1995 notes.

Dave
"Miracles never cease"

---

Old November 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Krow

Thanks for all your replies They are much appreciated!

p/s: I don't live in the US and some countries don't accept pre-1996
US $100 bills!
Old November 16th 03, 12:34 AM
A.E. Gelat

It depends to whom the note is offered. I doubt if any bank will not know
that they are still valid.

Tony

om...

Old November 16th 03, 02:48 AM
Padraic Brown

Agreed. Banks and exchange offices keep notebooks with pictures of
current notes (and probably coins) of different countries. They may
not have Lower Upper Transutopia in there, but you can be sure they'll
have the US. I very much doubt there is ány "country" on this planet
that will not accept a US C-note.

Padraic.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:34:30 -0600, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

It depends to whom the note is offered. I doubt if any bank will not know
that they are still valid.

Tony

. com...