Does one really need "bullet proof" inks

Old January 30th 08, 01:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

Default Does one really need "bullet proof" inks

Some recent expierences have made me question the need for permanent
inks. The inks that made me think of this recently are noodlers bp
black and platinum black.

An ink that smears is worse than one that washes away to me. I only have
two paper types noodlers does not smear on. Funnily enough the platinum
ink seems permanet on a text-book noodlers will not dry on. On most
paper, platinum black ink will wash off a bit but it is still legible.

Here's the thing: even my un-protected notebook will not get thrown in
the washing machine. If I need to sign something legal I use the other
guys pen, so I think permanent inks are almost useless for me.

I'm going to give some of the iron-gaul inks a try, maybe those will
will my needs. Who doesn't want a permanent ink?

What kind of ink is the platinum black? Is it your typical analine dye
based ink?

I would like an ink that is drip proof and can even be
submerged (it can smear when wet but most remain legible), but I don't
need something that can go through the washing machine.

What are my options? The only inks I have used are platinum black (from
a preppy cartridge), some noodlers, and private reserve black.

matthew
ohio

P.S. I have no problem sacraficing color or brightness for a better ink.

Old January 30th 08, 04:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Barutan Seijin

Nothing is foolproof.

Go with an ink that you like and accept the consequences of your choice.

I've become a MB blueblack fan. I just like the colour. It will eat
through the paper sometime after i'm gone. I can't get too worked up
about that, so i scribble away.

Old January 30th 08, 06:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

Barutan Seijin wrote:

Nothing is foolproof.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...howtopic=50397
(Great ink torture tests)

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old January 30th 08, 09:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_2_]

"MatthewK" wrote in message
[...]

As with most everything, YMMV. For me, waterproof inks are a boon for
writing where water may land such as envelopes and my tea journal.

IIRC, I haven't tried Platinum black. Since I have yet to have any problems
whatsoever with Noodler's on the various papers I use ranging from newspaper
(crossword puzzles)to Ampad pads to Mead's notebook filler paper to Crane's,
my focus on your smearing issue is on the paper you're using and your
post-writing practices. Do you blot? Are you allowing sufficient drying
time?

I don't see why anyone would purposely put a notebook into a washing
machine, but what about rain or spills or flood? If there's anything to be
preserved, whether for work or sentimental reasons like a letter or a
journal, waterproof ink is a distinct advantage.

Then, there's the issue of check-washing...

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old January 31st 08, 03:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

* Bluesea wrote:

As with most everything, YMMV. For me, waterproof inks are a boon for
writing where water may land such as envelopes and my tea journal.

I'm going to write a friend a letter and I think I will cover the
writing with wax, just to be safe.

What kind of tea do you drink? Tai guan yin is my personal
favorite...sometimes an earl grey. I usually order through upton.

IIRC, I haven't tried Platinum black. Since I have yet to have any problems
whatsoever with Noodler's on the various papers I use ranging from newspaper
(crossword puzzles)to Ampad pads to Mead's notebook filler paper to Crane's,
my focus on your smearing issue is on the paper you're using and your
post-writing practices. Do you blot? Are you allowing sufficient drying
time?

I write with fine or medium nibbed pens on a variety of wood based
papers. I have notes that are written on printer paper months ago with a
fine pen and it's still not dry. It is pretty easy to smear with my
finger.

The paper ranges from hp32, hp28, hammermill 20 lb, and whatever
moleskine decided to use.

Mead notecards and composistion notebooks love noodlers bp black - no
smearing at all.

I've never blotted because I don't think I need to with the nibs I use.
Things are easy to smear with my finger days or more after the ink drys.
It seems like the noodlers bp black is leaves ink on top of ink. It
bonds with the paper and the left-overs sit on top of the ink.

I went back through my journal and I can smudge/smear bp black, but not
eel blue or hunter green. Maybe I need a new black like swishmix?

I can't smear the platinum black after it dries like I can the noodlers
black.

I don't see why anyone would purposely put a notebook into a washing
machine, but what about rain or spills or flood? If there's anything to be
preserved, whether for work or sentimental reasons like a letter or a
journal, waterproof ink is a distinct advantage.

I used that example because the platinum black can be submerged once it
is dry....it "runs" a little but the paper will dry crinkly anyways. I
could dip my notebook in lake erie and the noodlers black would probably
make more of a mess than the platinum black because of the unabsorbed
dye.

I have no doubts that the bp black is bullet proof....it is just not
working for much my use.

I think the bullet proof is more of an affection than a reality for most
writing.

Then, there's the issue of check-washing...

Did you see the link Dierdre posted in this thread? I hate to send usnet
to forums but it is a good write up. BTW, nothing against forums...\

So, to clarify, I'm only have trouble with bp black and not the other
noodlers I own.

matthew
ohio
Old January 31st 08, 03:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

* Barutan Seijin wrote:

I've become a MB blueblack fan. I just like the colour. It will eat
through the paper sometime after i'm gone. I can't get too worked up
about that, so i scribble away.

I'm going to try some of that mb I think. Have you used the lamy
blue-black?
Old January 31st 08, 09:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_2_]

"MatthewK" wrote in message
* Bluesea wrote:

As with most everything, YMMV. For me, waterproof inks are a boon for
writing where water may land such as envelopes and my tea journal.

I'm going to write a friend a letter and I think I will cover the
writing with wax, just to be safe.

What kind of tea do you drink? Tai guan yin is my personal
favorite...sometimes an earl grey. I usually order through upton.

Me, too. I enjoy a variety from Snow Buds to Lung Ching to Earl Grey. I got
a sample of EG Creme Vanilla #TE01 that's my latest favorite. I'm going to
order a 125g packet pro'lly today after I check my list of What I Want To
Order Next.

IIRC, I haven't tried Platinum black. Since I have yet to have any

problems
whatsoever with Noodler's on the various papers I use ranging from

newspaper
(crossword puzzles)to Ampad pads to Mead's notebook filler paper to

Crane's,
my focus on your smearing issue is on the paper you're using and your
post-writing practices. Do you blot? Are you allowing sufficient drying
time?

I write with fine or medium nibbed pens on a variety of wood based
papers. I have notes that are written on printer paper months ago with a
fine pen and it's still not dry. It is pretty easy to smear with my
finger.

I use fines or mediums that write like fines.

The paper ranges from hp32, hp28, hammermill 20 lb, and whatever
moleskine decided to use.

Mead notecards and composistion notebooks love noodlers bp black - no
smearing at all.

I've never blotted because I don't think I need to with the nibs I use.
Things are easy to smear with my finger days or more after the ink drys.
It seems like the noodlers bp black is leaves ink on top of ink. It
bonds with the paper and the left-overs sit on top of the ink.

That's why people blot, to get rid of excess ink like that.

[...]

Try blotting.

I think the bullet proof is more of an affection than a reality for most
writing.

Then, there's the issue of check-washing...

Did you see the link Dierdre posted in this thread? I hate to send usnet
to forums but it is a good write up. BTW, nothing against forums...\

Yes, I like reading her contributions to this ng.

So, to clarify, I'm only have trouble with bp black and not the other
noodlers I own.

If blotting works, it'll enable you to use up the bottle and you won't lose
the cost of it.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old February 4th 08, 10:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

Bluesea wrote:

Then, there's the issue of check-washing...

Yes. I am going to try with one of my cancelled cheques. My cheques say
all over them they have some security safeguards built in. I think to
prevent chequewashing. Has anybody tried to wash one and see what happend?

John

Old February 6th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_2_]

"The Visitor" wrote in message

Bluesea wrote:

Then, there's the issue of check-washing...

Yes. I am going to try with one of my cancelled cheques. My cheques say
all over them they have some security safeguards built in. I think to
prevent chequewashing. Has anybody tried to wash one and see what happend?

I haven't. From what I read, the security safeguards embedded in checks are
to help keep banks and such from cashing counterfeit checks.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old March 8th 08, 06:35 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
phk[_6_]

In article , "Bluesea" wrote:
[snip]
What kind of tea do you drink? Tai guan yin is my personal
favorite...sometimes an earl grey. I usually order through upton.

Me, too. I enjoy a variety from Snow Buds to Lung Ching to Earl Grey. I got
a sample of EG Creme Vanilla #TE01 that's my latest favorite. I'm going to
order a 125g packet pro'lly today after I check my list of What I Want To

this is a late in this thread.

but, duh, that week, i just spill tea over a folder @ work.
it was Conway Stewart purple ink. lovely color but washes away. it is not even
H2O resistent.

there seem lot's of tea drinkers here. :-)

what is EG creme vanilla & prolly? i like Mao Feng & lightly oxidized oolong
(green oolong) & Keemum, golden needle right now.

regards,

pam

Pam's Ode to Spammers & Telemarketers

May all spammers & telemarketers die an agonizing death; have no
burial places; their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one
room to another for 1000 years.