Check out this Half Dollar Redesign proposal

Old January 13th 09, 12:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Check out this Half Dollar Redesign proposal

http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

To: President George W. Bush
Theodore Roosevelt was one of the greatest men to ever hold the office
of President of the United States. He is the only President to have
won both the Nobel Peace Prize, and the Congressional Medal of Honor.
His legislative reforms at the dawn of the 20th Century, paved the way
for America to take her rightful place as a world power, and gave us
the stability and sensibility to survive as a Constitutional
Republic.

There is no telling what the world would have been like, had not
Theodore Roosevelt been President, and we are fortunate to live in a
world where he did. As such, it is a great injustice to deny this
great man his rightful place on American coinage. For far too long, he
has gone without monetary tribute, and we implore you to change this.

It is also true that the once popular Half Dollar coin has fallen into
disuse. Few people spend this denomination, despite the growing need
for such a coin. With many small priced items now standing at 50
cents, it would not take much to popularize the Half Dollar as a coin
to once again be spent and used as pocket change. Why carry 2
quarters, when you can carry 1 half? However, the current drab
appearance of the half leaves it an undesirable coin, destined to
elimination.

For these reasons stated above, we, the undersigned, ask that you
seriously consider commissioning a redesign for the Half Dollar by
executive order, with Theodore Roosevelt as the figure to appear on
the obverse. Putting Theodore Roosevelt on the Half Dollar would both
honor one of America's greatest Presidents, and bring back into use a
nearly forgotten denomination.

Please, do not let Theodore Roosevelt, nor the half dollar of the
United States, fade into darkness. Let them shine together!

Sincerely,

END

I copied and pasted it, in case the link didn't work for you people.

This person thinks that the half would once again circulated if
Theodore Roosevelt were placed on the coin (which I don't buy. I think
it would take more than that, such as, self-checkouts, and vending
machines retooled to accept and dispense halves, as I said in a

I should email this guy about my dog proposal, just to see what he
thinks. And I should also mention that I wanted Theodore Roosevelt on
a new circuating $200 bill.
Old January 13th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

wrote in message

http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

Bush will no longer be President as of January 20, 2009 so
the petition is a waist of time. Today is Tuesday 01/13/2009.

Theodore Roosevelt will be on the one-dollar coin in 2013.
Source: http://www.usmint.gov/$1coin

The change is not going to happen on the 50-cent piece.

To: President George W. Bush

Old January 13th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message
http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

To: President George W. Bush

You'd better hurry!

Theodore Roosevelt was one of the greatest men to ever hold the office
of President of the United States. He is the only President to have
won both the Nobel Peace Prize, and the Congressional Medal of Honor.
His legislative reforms at the dawn of the 20th Century, paved the way
for America to take her rightful place as a world power, and gave us
the stability and sensibility to survive as a Constitutional
Republic.

Right about here, President Bush scratches his head and tosses this message
aside to return to his Style section of the Washington Post. Your specific
point should have been proposed up front. Journalism 101 or some such
thing.

There is no telling what the world would have been like, had not
Theodore Roosevelt been President, and we are fortunate to live in a
world where he did. As such, it is a great injustice to deny this
great man his rightful place on American coinage. For far too long, he
has gone without monetary tribute, and we implore you to change this.

So you're suggesting we remove either Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, Washington,
Kennedy, or Sacagewea (hmmm) from one of our coins to be replaced with TR?
Why not simply a TR medal, the president's corresponding secretary asks?

It is also true that the once popular Half Dollar coin has fallen into
disuse. Few people spend this denomination, despite the growing need
for such a coin. With many small priced items now standing at 50
cents, it would not take much to popularize the Half Dollar as a coin
to once again be spent and used as pocket change. Why carry 2
quarters, when you can carry 1 half? However, the current drab
appearance of the half leaves it an undesirable coin, destined to
elimination.

er....President John F. Kennedy currently is portrayed on our half dollar.
Drab? Undesireable?

For these reasons stated above, we, the undersigned, ask that you
seriously consider commissioning a redesign for the Half Dollar by
executive order, with Theodore Roosevelt as the figure to appear on
the obverse. Putting Theodore Roosevelt on the Half Dollar would both
honor one of America's greatest Presidents, and bring back into use a
nearly forgotten denomination.

Please, do not let Theodore Roosevelt, nor the half dollar of the
United States, fade into darkness. Let them shine together!

What if the president is perfectly content without the half dollar?

Sincerely,

END

I copied and pasted it, in case the link didn't work for you people.

This person thinks that the half would once again circulated if
Theodore Roosevelt were placed on the coin (which I don't buy. I think
it would take more than that, such as, self-checkouts, and vending
machines retooled to accept and dispense halves, as I said in a

Once again, you seem to be of the impression that people will spend coins
based on who is pictured on them. Well, if Lincoln can't get the cent
moving and JFK no longer inspires excitement over the half dollar, it's
obvious to me that nothing short of Obama and his family and their new dog
on a half dollar will open peoples' eyes. And even then they probably would
just save a few and forget about the half dollar as a coin when they didn't
receive any in change.

I should email this guy about my dog proposal, just to see what he
thinks. And I should also mention that I wanted Theodore Roosevelt on
a new circuating $200 bill.

This guy? You're still talking about President Bush here? You have his
email address? Just between you and me.....nobody else has to
know...........

Old January 13th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Well, if Lincoln can't get the cent moving and JFK no longer inspires
excitement over the half dollar, it's obvious to me that nothing short
of Obama and his family and their new dog on a half dollar will open
peoples' eyes.

Barack IS on the half dollar.
At least the ones Montel Williams is huckstering.

Old January 13th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

To: President George W. Bush

You'd better hurry!

[...]

in a previous post)

Once again, you seem to be of the impression that people will spend
coins based on who is pictured on them. Well, if Lincoln can't get
the cent moving and JFK no longer inspires excitement over the half
dollar, it's obvious to me that nothing short of Obama and his family
and their new dog on a half dollar will open peoples' eyes. And even
then they probably would just save a few and forget about the half
dollar as a coin when they didn't receive any in change.

I presume a series of coins with designs appealing to the prurient interest
might circulate. And, with IGWT in boldcaps, prominently placed, there
would be something for everyone. Who would dare complain?

James

Old January 14th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jan 13, 9:13*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

To: *President George W. Bush

You'd better hurry!

[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

WHOA! guys,

I know that Bush will only be in the office after the 20th. I have no
plans to send anything addressed to Bush.

This is NOT my proposal. I just found it on Google, and posted it
here. Does that clear things up for you?
Old January 14th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

To: *President George W. Bush

You'd better hurry!

[...]

Sorry, I meant that I know that Bush will only be in office UNTIL the
20th of January. Damn, I hate making mistakes.
Old January 14th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.petitiononline.com/trhalfd/petition.html

To: President George W. Bush

You'd better hurry!

[...]

Reeding threw watt yew right befour yew hitt CEND offen reveels yer
missteaks an chanjes yew knead two mayke.

Jemas

Old January 14th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message

[Snips]

WHOA! guys,

I know that Bush will only be in the office after the 20th. I have no
plans to send anything addressed to Bush.

This is NOT my proposal. I just found it on Google, and posted it
here. Does that clear things up for you?
______________

We don't want to see copies of other peoples' stuff. We want to see yours.
Every one of your posts seem to contain another of your proposals, so I for
one thought this was another one.

Old January 14th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured[_3_]

To: President George W. Bush
[...]

I checked out the link. I did not see any way to vote "no". I do not
have anything much against ole Teddy, except he was a bit too fond of
blasting away at the creatures of the wild.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TR...fany_Knife.jpg

My problem is with the coin. It's bad economic policy to keep making
half dollars. Their usefulness has been surpassed by inflation. Half
dollars became unpopular decades ago, presumably for their size, right
after the government took the silver out of them. The vending machine
industry stopped supporting them too, even though the same industry
keeps promoting the smaller sized dollar coin.

Use of half dollar coins harms the promotion of the much needed dollar
coin by competing with limited coin slots in US cash registers, and by
contributing to the popular notion that coins are too large and heavy.

The U.S. needs to drop the paper $1 and $2 bills, and the penny, nickel,
and half dollar coins. Just use dimes, quarters, dollar coins, and $5
coins; and I am no longer sure about the dimes.

Your best chance for sled dogs on circulating money would be to ask
congress to make a quarter series for them. They really go for that
sort of thing, you know. Heck, I am sure that woofies would make better
engraving subjects and be more popular than, er, obscure parks and
territories.

--Dave