memories-Capehart dual-8 track AM/FM/phono recorder

Old June 11th 06, 04:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default memories-Capehart dual-8 track AM/FM/phono recorder

On 10 Jun 2006 19:30:56 -0700, wrote:

I prefer DC motors with tachyservo speed control, as in the
Wollensaks. Lesser decks with DC motors just use a current regulator.
The motor has no bearing on frequency response or quality of the
electronics whatsoever.

Bob-

I've not been lucky enough to even see a Wallensak. Each time I've
seen one, I've been outbid. :-( Do they have plastic or metal head
mounts? snip

Metal with spring loading. Decks was plastic head mounts are usually
go into my trash bin.

I meant to say in my other posts that the general design and quality of
the early decks seem to bee much better than the later ones. With the
exception of the Sony "Toaster" unit- wouldn't play Columbia House
tapes at all- poor capstan-to-pinch-roller contact, at least in the one
I had. snip

They were garbage...regardless of what Fraudboy Nudo says.

In y'alls opinions, which is the absolute best recorder deck? Make and
model numbers? snip

Marantz 830D
Wollensak 8075
Pioneer H-R100

All of the above have Dolby B circuits. If Dolby's not a
consideration:

Akai GX-82D

The other Akais are somewhat overrated. The 82 has the best top end
in the format, but sacrifices bottom end to get it, an inevitable
tradeoff at 3¾ IPS.

Two real sleepers:

Lafayette RK-89A
Some JVCs w/ transformer coupled head

Both of these can just about keep pace with the better decks in
response and headroom.

The Lafayette was OEM built by Mitsubishi before they entered the US
consumer electronics biz under their own name (MGA) while the
Wollensaks were OEM built by Sanyo to a 3M/Mercon design. The lesser
Wollensaks (8050, 8055 and 8056) don't use the same head or amp design
as the 8075, and aren't quite as good in performance, but still better
than most. 8050 uses an AC motor; 8055 and later use a tachyservo
controlled DC Matsu****a can motor with a tach pickup on the back of
the motor. For best regulation, use a new belt with these.
Old June 11th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 11 Jun 2006 05:44:52 -0700, "The Paris Gun"
wrote:

good points.snip

Shut the hell up, Noodles. You've been outed yet again as a fraudster
and lair. Go breathe some of that toxic NE Penna air...maybe you'll
fall over this summer, and we'll be rid of you.
Old June 11th 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 11 Jun 2006 05:51:30 -0700, "The Paris Gun"
wrote:

Rusty,

once again snip

....Charlie Nudo is full of crap.
Old June 11th 06, 05:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

wrote:

good points.snip

Shut the hell up, Noodles. You've been outed yet again as a fraudster
and lair. Go breathe some of that toxic NE Penna air...maybe you'll
fall over this summer, and we'll be rid of you.

Looks who's talking about air- you live in the smog capital of the
world !

(laughter...)

Old June 11th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

DeserTBoB wrote:
On 11 Jun 2006 05:51:30 -0700, "The Paris Gun"
wrote:

Rusty,

once again snip

...Charlie Nudo is full of crap.

You were the one that posted Akai 8's did not have 2 tape heads,
remember ?

(laughter...)

Old June 11th 06, 05:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

DeserTBoB wrote:
On 11 Jun 2006 05:51:30 -0700, "The Paris Gun"
wrote:

Rusty,

once again snip

...Charlie Nudo is full of crap.

How would you know anything about 8-tracks ? You got suckered into
****-ass CASSETTES all through the 1970's- it took you until NOW to
realize, 8's are better.

You never even OWNED an 8 during the 70's, that how ****ing GEEKY and
dumb you are ! I've been listening to 8's since the 1970's, you
started about 2 years ago.

There's a difference.

Some lame-ass audio company can put out used tampax machines as the
next best audio component, and you'd ****ing be ON LINE to buy one.
Based on some California liberal marketing ad...

Old June 11th 06, 05:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

DeserTBoB wrote:
[...]

my, my, my- how you change your pea-sized mind almost monthly...you
rave about Lafayette, because you stumbled upon one at a yard sale for
$2, all of a sudden it's the sleeper of choice. Suddenly Akai 82D's
are hot tickets too, since you bought one recently, but until then, you
were saying they are "shop queens".

Here's your OLD post on Akai decks, remember ??

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...c5441ac4816097

DoucheBoob said (quote):

"The more I see of these Akais, the less I like them. I also notice
they're somewhat deficient in deep bass by their own published
specifications, as are most 8 track machines. Since most pop music
doesn't contain any deep bass to speak of with very rare exceptions,
it's not a problem on that genre. By "deep," I mean the region from
20 to 60 cycles. Most gee-tawr basses never get below 82 Hz on their
fundamental on the open E string anyway, and there's precious little
of that to begin with. Even orchestral music rarely gets any
significant power in that area unless the contrabasses are at their
lowest note and the timpanis are roaring. This area's basically the
province of the pipe organ and electronic sound sources, as well as
nature recordings of thunder...hardly the kind of fare you'll kind in
the average 8 track in a car! My testing shows conclusively that the
Wollensak 8075 (not necessarily the 8056 and other lower models with
the 775 head) can get down to at least 30 Hz with no effort on record
or playback, and to 25 on the alignment tape almost flat, once you
correct for "fringing effect" of running a full track tape."

so who can believe a single post you put up ? you change your opinion,
like your doctor changes your psychotropic meds- weekly

Old June 11th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 11 Jun 2006 09:38:33 -0700, "The Paris Gun"
wrote:

my, my, my- how you change your pea-sized mind almost monthly...you
rave about Lafayette, because you stumbled upon one at a yard sale for
$2, all of a sudden it's the sleeper of choice. snip

I just said it was unexpectedly good, not great....moron.

You obviously have nothing to do since your fraudBay empire has
collapsed.

Go shoot yourself.
Old June 11th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 11 Jun 2006 09:16:11 -0700, "The Paris Gun"
wrote:

Looks who's talking about air- you live in the smog capital of the
world ! snip

You obviously failed geography in school.