Comment on trip to the USA

Old September 22nd 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Default Comment on trip to the USA

I have just returned from a visit to California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona.

Great fun, visiting 15 National Parks or equivalent in 20 days.

While at Moab I went to a bank to cash a traveller's cheque, and asked for
$20 in $2 bills, $25 in $1 coins and $10 in halves. The cashier was
extremely helpful, rustling up 23 half dollars as well as readily supplying
the other items.

The half dollars were mostly different, but no silver ones were found. I
received one half dollar in change at a deli in Yosemite.
When spent I got a few comments, mainly to the effect that they should be
used more.

The dollar coins had a lot of duplication so I had several to spend, and I
got more in change at Grand Canyon. No surprise when offered at any time.

The $2 bills were accepted mainly without comment, although at LA
International airport my last one did cause a slight stir. Again, the
general comment was that they should be used far more. I did not receive
any in change.

As to those I received in change, I got more than 50% of the State quarters.
The oldest coin was a 1943P 'silver' nickel. The most obvious characteristic
was that over 90% of all coins received in change were from Denver.

I had such a large mass of coin to bring back my cabin luggage was only just
in the 6kg limit; that problem was insignificant compared with my daughter
who brought back a 10 lb lump of petrified tree!

--
Tony Clayton

Old September 23rd 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Tony Clayton wrote:

[...]

You have more half dollar and dollar coins than most U.S. citizens will see in a lifetime!

JAM
Old September 26th 10, 11:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:44:49 +0100, "Tony Clayton"
wrote:

[...]

When you were in California, did you go through Sequoia National
Park? If you did, you probably drove through my hometown.

take care,
Scott

Old September 27th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes. Which town was that? We came in from the SW, the night a bishop
got shot in Visalia - we stayed in Three Rivers

I tried to reply personally, but your reply address failed...

Tony Clayton

Old September 27th 10, 05:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
rwalker

Zorro and the Blue Footballs Rated BlueOn Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:44:49 +0100, "Tony Clayton" wrote:

The $2 bills were accepted mainly without comment, although at LA
International airport my last one did cause a slight stir. Again, the
general comment was that they should be used far more. I did not receive
any in change.

I've been in the U.S. all my life (52 years) and have never received a
$2 bill in change. I've spent a few hundred dollars worth. The
cashiers who receive them are always amazed.
Old September 30th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

On Sep 22, 5:44*pm, "Tony Clayton" wrote:

The half dollars were mostly different, but no silver ones were found. I
received one half dollar in change at a deli in Yosemite.
When spent I got a few comments, mainly to the effect that they should be
used more.

I readily get half dollars from the bank and they go into the 'odd
money' portion of the till but whether they get passed out in change I
have no idea.

The dollar coins had a lot of duplication so I had several to spend, and I
got more in change at Grand Canyon. *No surprise when offered at any time.

One Walgreen's near me always seems to have a few pres in the till but
never offered me one back in change. Then again I never asked to get
it over a single.

The $2 bills were accepted mainly without comment, although at LA
International airport my last one did cause a slight stir. Again, the
general comment was that they should be used far more. *I did not receive
any in change.

99% of the time they go straight under the till. I've only had one
cashier ever mention she likes to give them back in change and alas I
never saw the cashier at the store again LOL.

As to those I received in change, I got more than 50% of the State quarters.
The oldest coin was a 1943P 'silver' nickel. The most obvious characteristic
was that over 90% of all coins received in change were from Denver.

Nice score on the war nickle!

I had such a large mass of coin to bring back my cabin luggage was only just
in the 6kg limit; that problem was insignificant compared with my daughter
who brought back a 10 lb lump of petrified tree!

No wheat-ears huh? I've only gotten one wheat-ear back in change
this year.

Thanks for the moolah report.

--
Tony Clayton

A comment for you all {BEV} Coins 13 May 28th 07 04:02 AM
A comment... [email protected] Autographs 12 December 16th 06 07:19 PM
Anybody want to comment? Bob Hairgrove Coins 14 February 7th 05 12:28 PM
No comment. Bob Flaminio Coins 30 June 1st 04 03:26 PM
Why?? Just a comment or two Kenneth465 Autographs 9 December 9th 03 12:41 AM