1987 Quarter

Old September 22nd 04, 04:07 AM
Johnny

Default 1987 Quarter

Hello all, I had a question about a quarter that I found. It is a
1987P U.S. Quarter and it has no dentils. Is this worthy anything?
It looks like dentils were never created on this coin, I found it in
some spare change I had. It appears to have been in general
circulation, does a quarter like this have any value with the dentils
missing?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Sincerely,
Johnny
Old September 22nd 04, 01:58 PM
Edwin Johnston

"Johnny" wrote in message
m...
Hello all, I had a question about a quarter that I found. It is a
1987P U.S. Quarter and it has no dentils. Is this worthy anything?
It looks like dentils were never created on this coin, I found it in
some spare change I had. It appears to have been in general
circulation, does a quarter like this have any value with the dentils
missing?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Sincerely,
Johnny

Dentils???
Perhaps you mean reeding? (& a lack thereof)

But George Washington did have dentures.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:15 PM
Brian

There are errors of this type, although your coin could just be the result
of a lot of motion in slot machines. Rolling down all of those slots can
evenly wear off the reeding, leaving the rim looking intact:

http://conecaonline.org/content/OhNo0027.htm

m...

Old September 22nd 04, 04:14 PM
Michael G. Koerner

Brian wrote:

There are errors of this type, although your coin could just be the result
of a lot of motion in slot machines. Rolling down all of those slots can
evenly wear off the reeding, leaving the rim looking intact:

http://conecaonline.org/content/OhNo0027.htm

Slot machines are NOTORIOUSLY hard on coins. By design, the machines
drive the coins into the tray at the bottom as hard as they can in order
to make as much noise as possible. This quickly pounds out any reeding
on their edges and gives the rest of the coins' surfaces a bumpy,
burnished look. I see 'slot machined' coins all the time that are worn
nearly to a level of unrecognizability, even though they are less than
10 years old.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old September 23rd 04, 12:18 AM
Papito

On 22-Sep-2004, "Edwin Johnston" wrote:

Dentils???
Perhaps you mean reeding? (& a lack thereof)

But George Washington did have dentures.

Perhaps he was decrying the lack of denticles on quarters, although this sad
state has existed for 88 years now, and has spread to the rest of our coins
as well.
Old September 23rd 04, 02:55 AM
joecoin

"Edwin Johnston" wrote in news:415176fa$0$444
:

"Johnny" wrote in message
m...
Hello all, I had a question about a quarter that I found. It is a
1987P U.S. Quarter and it has no dentils. Is this worthy anything?
It looks like dentils were never created on this coin, I found it in
some spare change I had. It appears to have been in general
circulation, does a quarter like this have any value with the dentils
missing?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Sincerely,
Johnny

Dentils???
Perhaps you mean reeding? (& a lack thereof)

But George Washington did have dentures.

Wooden dentils?

--
Joecoin

Copper is as copper does.

Old September 23rd 04, 02:56 AM
joecoin

Mark wrote in
:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:14:46 -0500, "Michael G. Koerner"
wrote:

Brian wrote:

There are errors of this type, although your coin could just be the
result of a lot of motion in slot machines. Rolling down all of
those slots can evenly wear off the reeding, leaving the rim looking
intact:

http://conecaonline.org/content/OhNo0027.htm

Slot machines are NOTORIOUSLY hard on coins. By design, the machines
drive the coins into the tray at the bottom as hard as they can in
order to make as much noise as possible. This quickly pounds out any
reeding on their edges and gives the rest of the coins' surfaces a
bumpy, burnished look. I see 'slot machined' coins all the time that
are worn nearly to a level of unrecognizability, even though they are
less than 10 years old.

I wonder how many passes through it takes to completely smooth the
edges ?

238

--
Joecoin

Copper is as copper does.

Houston Chronicle promotes Texas state quarter Edwin Johnston Coins 1 June 16th 04 03:15 PM
Gold quarter eagles Mark Behrens Coins 2 May 4th 04 06:18 PM
FA: Barber Quarter keys, Seated Dimes & Quarter, rare Bust Dime Barry Coins 2 March 16th 04 02:20 AM
FS: 1987 OPC "Wrestlemania III" Un-Cut Press Sheet 1 & 2 J.R. Sinclair General 0 February 27th 04 04:50 AM
FS: 1987 OPC "Wrestlemania III" Un-Cut Press Sheet 1 & 2 J.R. Sinclair Cards:- non-sport 0 February 26th 04 07:02 AM