The French Engraver Pierre Albuisson

Old August 12th 05, 03:05 PM
amesh

Default The French Engraver Pierre Albuisson

The French stamp engraver Pierre Albuisson is among the rising stars in the
art of philatelic engravings, and ever since I first saw his works many
years ago I have been "in love" with them. Not only is Albuisson an
excellent artist, stamp designer and engraver, there is also an air of
freshness in both design and engravings that is practically unknown for the
small stamp format and traditional engravings.

I was delighted when Pierre Courtiade sent me a copy of Timbres Magazine
November 2004, totally dedicated to Albuisson and his works, and wanted
immediately to make a website about this artist. I had most of his stamps,
but I needed a contact with him for further questions, but the stamp
magazine provided no contact-address, so how and where did I find him ...
The project was put aside for a while.

Luck was with me. A couple of months ago I received unexpectedly an email
from Albuisson in relation to my Slania-site, so I grabbed the chance and
asked him directly if he would be interested in a website about his works,
set up the same way as my Slania-site, which was already well known to him.

Was he interested! Since that first contact we have worked closely together
in setting up a website, and here is the result
http://albuissonstamps.heindorffhus.dk

Slania and Albuisson knew each other well. Although two of a kind there is a
significant difference in their works. While Slania mostly worked on steel,
Albuisson mostly does his engravings on copper plate (taille-douce), which
gives a much softer look to the final work. Further Albuisson has
introduced the concept of "Philatelic Documents", i.e. non-philatelic
illustrations to complement the official stamp issues. You will meet some of
these works when browsing the site.

The site is bi-lingual. There is biographical information, info about how to
make mezzotinto prints (should you want to try for yourself), a wide range
of stunning stamps from France and the francophone world covering many
themes and topics, art included, and a downloadable, searchable checklist
with catalogue numbers after YT with cross references to Scott.

Enjoy :-)
Mette
http://www.heindorffhus.dk
------
Outgoing messages.checked with Norton AV

Old August 12th 05, 03:29 PM
Victor Manta

"amesh" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

A nice and original site, congratulations!!

Just a proposal: in the Navigation window you could make the links to point
to the _same_ window (by giving it an unique name). Now after each click a
new window opens.
--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old August 12th 05, 04:00 PM
amesh

"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse

- snip -

A nice and original site, congratulations!!

Just a proposal: in the Navigation window you could make the links to
point to the _same_ window (by giving it an unique name). Now after each
click a new window opens.

Thank you for your comment. I am not sure I understand you. If the links
in the navigation point to the *same* window, they will open in the rather
narrow navigation-window. To do it your proposed way, you have to click on
the link to welcome page, from where all links open in the same frame.

Mette

Old August 12th 05, 07:11 PM
Roger Smith

"amesh" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

A lovely section of your website, and one that I hope does not cause you any
grief from Copy-Dan.

On a very pedantic point, in the UK we would refer to the artist as M
Albuisson, not Mr. Albuisson. Perhaps the latter acords more with American
practice.

Regards, Roger

Old August 12th 05, 07:52 PM
amesh

"Roger Smith" skrev i en meddelelse

Mette

A lovely section of your website, and one that I hope does not cause you
any grief from Copy-Dan.

Thanks Roger :-) Given that the artist / designer / engraver has personally
approved all pages, and even "nourished" the site with images and
information that has not previously been published, there will be no
problems at all.

On a very pedantic point, in the UK we would refer to the artist as M
Albuisson, not Mr. Albuisson. Perhaps the latter acords more with
American practice.

Rather pedantic :-)) I have been told by a French reader that in France M.
Albuisson would not be good manners; it is either Pierre Albuisson, or
simply the name Albuisson ;-) So different ideas of politeness ;-)

Regards
Mette

Old August 12th 05, 08:52 PM
Roger Smith

"amesh" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thank you and most interesting, Mette. Even within a single country such
as the UK the preferred form of address has changed even in my time.

It also reminds me of when the German tour leader of a trekking holiday I
took part in recently commented that she always found that the British
groups were more relaxed than the German ones, where the members spent most
of the holiday wondering whether to call one another "du" or "Sie".

Best regards, Roger

Old August 12th 05, 09:12 PM
amesh

"Roger Smith" skrev i en meddelelse

- snip -

Thank you and most interesting, Mette. Even within a single country such
as the UK the preferred form of address has changed even in my time.

It also reminds me of when the German tour leader of a trekking holiday I
took part in recently commented that she always found that the British
groups were more relaxed than the German ones, where the members spent
most of the holiday wondering whether to call one another "du" or "Sie".

Roger, so has it in Denmark. In my young youth it was considered a "mortal
sin" to address people, other than the closest family and friends, by "du".
"Sie" was imperative. That has changed, and now *everybody* addresses each
other by "du" (I suppose imitating the Anglo-American "you"). Frankly, why
not? One can easily still be respectful by
using so-to-say "You" (not "you") when speaking ;-)

Regards
Mette

Old August 12th 05, 10:17 PM
Roger Smith

"amesh" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Mette, getting a bit OT but I think it is worth commenting that the speed at
which these changes are taking place differs greatly, both by country and by
social position within the relevant society.

By the way, if the trend is in imitation of the English "you", then it is
the "Sie" form that would become universal. However, in English the word
"thou" will remain definitely biblical! I take your point though.

Best regards, Roger

Old August 12th 05, 10:30 PM
amesh

"Roger Smith" skrev i en meddelelse

Mette, getting a bit OT but I think it is worth commenting that the speed
at which these changes are taking place differs greatly, both by country
and by social position within the relevant society.

By the way, if the trend is in imitation of the English "you", then it is
the "Sie" form that would become universal. However, in English the word
"thou" will remain definitely biblical! I take your point though.

Roger, OT or not, in that case you will never be one of my gods ;-)

Regards
Mette

Old August 13th 05, 01:10 AM
Rodney

Whew! a 24 course meal.
I haven't navigated it all as yet, but what I have seen is marvellous,
like a good buffet, I shall put a little on my plate,
retire for a wander and a chit chat,
then return on odd occasions for a new experience.
A tour de force.
Well done Madame