Current opinion on grading/slabbing?

Old April 7th 13, 07:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ruben safir

Default Current opinion on grading/slabbing?

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 01:12:38 -0700, oly wrote:

I hope I avoided too many spelling errors here...

It is your penmenship that ****es me off...

Ruben
--
http://www.coinhangout.com/cgi-bin/Y...?action=recent
Old April 7th 13, 01:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Apr 7, 1:50*am, ruben safir wrote:
On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 01:12:38 -0700, oly wrote:
I hope I avoided too many spelling errors here...

It is your penmenship that ****es me off...

Ruben
--http://www.coinhangout.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?action=recent

Oooh, have I done any damage to your $175 worth of slabbed coins??? I
certainly hope so.

But we could probably actually agree that a "70" is (or was) only a
kind of theoretical construct, thought up by one of the great science
quacks (and numismatic quacks) of the 20th century...

oly
Old April 7th 13, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ruben safir

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 05:23:17 -0700, oly wrote:

Oooh, have I done any damage to your $175 worth of slabbed coins??? I
certainly hope so.

I'll let you know if you ever bother me.

--
The Coin Hangout: http://www.coinhangout.com/home
Old April 7th 13, 03:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Apr 7, 9:22*am, ruben safir wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 05:23:17 -0700, oly wrote:
Oooh, have I done any damage to your $175 worth of slabbed coins??? *I
certainly hope so.

I'll let you know if you ever bother me.

--
The Coin Hangout:http://www.coinhangout.com/home

You are probably one of the most visible persons that I've ever found
on the internet. Actually, it's silly to let the whole world know
that much about you.

oly
Old April 8th 13, 07:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ruben[_2_]

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 07:26:34 -0700, oly wrote:

You are probably one of the most visible persons that I've ever found on
the internet. Actually, it's silly to let the whole world know that
much about you.

Yes - that is true. And before that on Compuserve. And before that at
the Park in Canarsie. I don't see why it is silly. Nobody gives a damn
anyway. At least you know your talking to a real person. I've made a
lot of friends over the years, and ticked others off... so what?

Ruben
Old April 9th 13, 08:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

Is a "70" really worth 3 to 20 times as much as a "69"? Since a "70"
is either "perfect" or "as struck" or "no visible flaws under 5x
magnification" -- I think a hand-selected "69" or original raw coin
is a much better value. And PCGS is CHANGING their guarantee on modern
silver coins...When an MS70 2002 Silver Eagle, for example, that was
graded MS70 and supposedly worth $2000 develops spots or haze after
grading, PCGS would regrade it -- perhaps MS68 -- and pay the owner
the difference in value ...$1970 -- as MS68 is listed at $30.
Obviously these are ticking time bombs, as PCGS has graded $27 billion
worth of coins, but they have no insurance, no segregated reserve
funds -- they simply pay losses out of current cash flow. and their
parent company's $99 million market capitalization could quicky
vanish with an extended run of claims.

So let's see how "70s" will hold their value when PCGS quits
downgrading spotted coins -- and will let the "market" decide how to
value "perfect 70s" "spotted 70s" and "tried to clean it but it
didn't work, so we are putting it back in a 70 slab"

PCGS Modern Silver Coin Spot Policy

When initially grading modern silver issues, PCGS will deduct for
spots that are already evident. If coins spot after they are graded by
PCGS, they are not covered by the terms of the PCGS grading guarantee.
If you would like us to try to remove spots from your coins by
"dipping" them, we may be able to do that. It is our experience that
spots on proof Silver Eagles can be removed in about 80% of the cases,
but spots on Mint State Silver Eagles will only come off approximately
10% to 25% of the time. We launched a Restoration Service on January
2, 2013 and for a fee (grading fee plus 4% of the value) we will
remove spots, unattractive toning and other imperfections. However,
this fee would be excessive for most modern silver issues so as a
service to our customers, we will have a spot removal service for
modern silver coins available beginning April 1, 2013. We are only
charging a flat fee of $5 for spot removal on modern silver coins.
Note that we cannot guarantee whether our spot removal attempt will be
successful. If the spots do not come out, we will still reholder you
coin in its original grade. It will just be a spotted coin of that
grade. We anticipate that a two tier market (spot-free and spotted)
will develop, much as it has in the past 10 years or so in the U.S.
generic gold market. For further information about our spot removal
service, contact PCGS Customer Service after April 1, 2013.
Old April 9th 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Apr 9, 2:37*am, Frank Provasek wrote:
[...]

Your example of the $2000 MS "70" 2002 American Silver Eagle and the
$30 MS "68" ASE coin of the same date is the best argument for the
unreality of all this.

Again (not talking about spotted coins here), most people couldn't
tell the difference between an ASE or Libertad "70" and a "69" and
most likely a "68" if the labels were covered up.

Yes, there are a lot of stupid people in this world, but the number of
stupid people with $2000 to spend on any coin at all is really really
limited. The number of stupid people with $150 to spend on any coin
is also very very limited.

The U.S. economy hits another bad patch, this stuff becomes totally
illiquid really quick. And those "hard times" don't even have to
happen for the speculators/promoters to simply move on to another
product and another bunch of "marks".

oly
Old April 9th 13, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ruben safir

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_udlo...Sold=1&rt= nc

Very much more than bullion costs

Over US $130.00
2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 Bullion Low Pop Registry No "W" Rare
Apr-08 09:39
$199.00 Best offer accepted

2007 american silver eagle PCGS MS 70 rare low pop of 603 free lucky pouch
Apr-06 18:13
$276.00 Best offer accepted

2007 AMERICAN SILVER EAGLE $1 MS 70 PCGS JOHN M. MERCANTI SIGNATURE
Apr-05 19:02
$175.00 Buy It Now
2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 Bullion Low Pop Registry No "W" Rare
Apr-05 04:40
$199.00 Best offer accepted

2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 Bullion Low Pop Registry No "W" Rare
Mar-26 04:26
$199.00 Best offer accepted

2007 AMERICAN SILVER EAGLE $1 MS 70 PCGS JOHN M. MERCANTI SIGNATURE
Mar-25 19:00
$170.50 5 bids
2007 W, 2008 W, 2011 W, & 2012 W BURNISHED SILVER EAGLE'S PCGS MS70 FIRST STRIKE
Mar-24 20:05
$550.00 1 bid

2008-W $1 SILVER EAGLE, REVERSE OF 2007 FIRST STRIKE PCGS MS70 ULTRA RARE!!!!!!!
Mar-12 10:37
$2,412.00 34 bids

2007-W SILVER EAGLE PCGS MS 70 FIRST STRIKE!!!!! Nice Coin!!!
Mar-07 12:16
$130.00 Buy It Now
2007 american silver eagle PCGS MS 70 rare low pop of 532 free lucky pouch
Mar-06 08:25
$288.00 Best offer accepted

2007 silver eagle PCGS MS 70 rare low pop of 532 free lucky pouch
Mar-04 06:44
$250.00 Best offer accepted

2006W,2007W, 2008W Burnished Silver Eagles "W" ALL PCGS MS70
Mar-03 18:00
$859.95 1 bid
2007 silver eagle PCGS MS 70 rare low pop of 532 free lucky pouch
Mar-01 04:03
$196.00 Best offer accepted

2007 2008 P Australia Perth Silver Lunar Rat Mouse PCGS MS 70 1 OZ 1 Dollar
Feb-26 04:56
$179.00 Best offer accepted

2008-W PCGS - MS70 REVERSE OF 2007 SILVER EAGLE PCGS MS-70 Hard to find in PCGS
Feb-25 18:49
$1,425.00 1 bid
2008 W Reverse of 2007 American Silver Eagle PCGS MS 70 PERFECT COIN MS70 OGP
Feb-18 21:27
$1,534.99 20 bids

2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 Bullion Low Pop Registry No "W" Rare
Feb-17 20:32
$199.00 Best offer accepted

2007 First Strike Silver Eagle PCGS MS70 LOW POP AND RARE for this Grade no W
Feb-17 16:43
$1,750.00 1 bid
2007-W $1 AMERICAN SILVER EAGLE "FIRST STRIKE" PCGS MS70 ~ WOW! NICE! FLASHY!
Feb-14 18:05
$130.38 9 bids

(4) 2007-W PCGS MS70 SILVER EAGLE DOLLAR
Feb-14 11:31
$325.00 Buy It Now

2007 $1 AUSTRALIA KOOKABURRA 1 Oz. SILVER BULLION COIN PCGS MS70
Feb-10 21:35
$245.00 Buy It Now
2007 silver eagle PCGS MS 70 rare low pop of 532 free lucky pouch
Feb-10 20:01
$196.00 Best offer accepted

2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 Bullion Low Pop Registry No "W" Rare
Feb-08 10:06
$199.00 Best offer accepted

2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 *hucky*
Feb-05 08:51
$141.00 13 bids
2008 W Reverse of 2007 MS70 Silver Eagle PCGS MS 70 First Strike
Feb-03 14:52
$1,826.00 21 bids

2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 Bullion Low Pop Registry No "W" Rare
Jan-29 00:19
$199.00 Best offer accepted

2008-W Reverse of 2007 MS70 First Strike Silver Eagle PCGS MS 70 2008 W
Jan-28 17:30
$2,701.00 41 bids
2007 silver eagle PCGS MS 70 rare low pop of 532 free lucky pouch
Jan-24 04:20
$196.00 Best offer accepted

2007 W Silver Eagle Dollar $1 Graded by PCGS MS70 First Strike!!
Jan-22 20:56
$149.99 Buy It Now

2007 SILVER EAGLE PCGS MS-70
Jan-22 13:42
$147.50 15 bids
2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 Bullion Low Pop Registry No "W" Rare
Jan-19 00:18
$199.00 Best offer accepted

2007 Silver American Eagle PCGS MS70 Bullion Low Pop Registry No "W" Rare
Jan-16 08:54
$199.00 Buy It Now

2007 MS70 PCGS NOT(NGC) Chinese Silver Panda Coin limited extreme low pop!!!
Jan-14 08:51
$349.00 Buy It Now
2007 W - Jeffersons Liberty PCGS MS70 First Strike!!!!!
Jan-13 18:03
$916.00 9 bids

--
The Coin Hangout: http://www.coinhangout.com/home
Old April 9th 13, 05:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Apr 9, 10:31*am, ruben safir wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_udlo...mPrRngCbx=1&_a...

[...]

Always pretty floating in the blue sky, but try and touch the soap-
bubble for yourself.

oly
Old April 9th 13, 06:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Trevor

I have a silver Eagle that literally turned black. What is that called?
I'm guessing it's not a "spot."

- Trevor

On 4/9/2013 1:37 AM, Frank Provasek wrote:
[...]

Best current grading service Sara Brown Coins 6 March 20th 09 03:14 AM
Grading Opinion Jorg Lueke Coins 6 August 18th 08 05:16 PM
ICG Grading Opinion Son of the Beach Coins 0 August 13th 05 04:43 AM
Grading Opinion Brian Hartman Coins 7 June 5th 04 10:35 PM
New slabbing service- "R&L Grading" Scott Drummond Coins 0 November 27th 03 07:38 AM