U.S.N Countermark on Buffalo Nickel

Old January 25th 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Smith

Default U.S.N Countermark on Buffalo Nickel

Hi to the group

I have recently acquired a dateless Buffalo nickel with the
afformentioned U.S.N countermark. After some research I came to the
conclussion it stood for United States Navy. In an old copy of Rulau,
I saw a 1886 Morgan Dollar with the exact same Countermark.

Unfortunately, that is all it gives, and I can't find my copy of
Brunk. So does anyone know the origins of this Countermark

Where they a type of canteen token for US naval personel?

Thanks in advance

Pete
Old January 25th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

"Peter Smith" wrote in message

Hi to the group

I have recently acquired a dateless Buffalo nickel with the
afformentioned U.S.N countermark. After some research I came to the
conclussion it stood for United States Navy. In an old copy of Rulau,
I saw a 1886 Morgan Dollar with the exact same Countermark.

Unfortunately, that is all it gives, and I can't find my copy of
Brunk. So does anyone know the origins of this Countermark

Where they a type of canteen token for US naval personel?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Hello

The Indian Head (Buffalo) nickel was minted from
1913 thourgh 1938. Are you seeing this "USN" on
the back side of the coin on the upper right? I am
thinking your seeing the letters from the motto
"E PLURIBUS UMUN" that may be worn real badly
and only those letters are showing up.

You will find the year on the front face near the
bottom.

Old January 25th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Smith

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:20:07 -0700, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Hi

When I said dateless, I meant that the date had been worn off

The USN goes straight across the buffalo, not round the edge.

Here is an example of the Countermark upon a morgan dollar, it is the
exact type of script as well

http://fao-coins.info/ctstp/images/USN.JPG

Old January 25th 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

"Peter Smith" wrote in message

Hi to the group

I have recently acquired a dateless Buffalo nickel with the
afformentioned U.S.N countermark. After some research I came to the
conclussion it stood for United States Navy. In an old copy of Rulau,
I saw a 1886 Morgan Dollar with the exact same Countermark.

Unfortunately, that is all it gives, and I can't find my copy of
Brunk. So does anyone know the origins of this Countermark

Where they a type of canteen token for US naval personel?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Perhaps idle hands by a seaman with that punch which was normally used for
something else?

Steve

Old January 26th 09, 05:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Peter Smith wrote:
Hi to the group

I have recently acquired a dateless Buffalo nickel with the
afformentioned U.S.N countermark. After some research I came to the
conclussion it stood for United States Navy. In an old copy of Rulau,
I saw a 1886 Morgan Dollar with the exact same Countermark.

Unfortunately, that is all it gives, and I can't find my copy of
Brunk. So does anyone know the origins of this Countermark

It's not listed in Brunk (either first or second edition), so that
won't help even if you do find it ...

I've sold a few of these over the years, and always assumed that they
were simply created by a bored machinist at sea ...

Where they a type of canteen token for US naval personel?

Probably not ... nothing of this nature is listed in Cunningham.
Old February 7th 09, 09:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Smith

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:55:26 -0800 (PST), Ken Barr
wrote:

Peter Smith wrote:
Hi to the group

I have recently acquired a dateless Buffalo nickel with the
afformentioned U.S.N countermark. After some research I came to the
conclussion it stood for United States Navy. In an old copy of Rulau,
I saw a 1886 Morgan Dollar with the exact same Countermark.

Unfortunately, that is all it gives, and I can't find my copy of
Brunk. So does anyone know the origins of this Countermark

It's not listed in Brunk (either first or second edition), so that
won't help even if you do find it ...

I've sold a few of these over the years, and always assumed that they
were simply created by a bored machinist at sea ...

Thanks for looking for me, you are probably right about the bored
machinists, though there might be something more to it, we just never
know

Where they a type of canteen token for US naval personel?

Probably not ... nothing of this nature is listed in Cunningham.

That is a new one on me, what is the "Cunningham" book?

Old February 7th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Feb 7, 4:20*am, Peter Smith wrote:
That is a new one on me, what is the "Cunningham" book?- Hide quoted text -

Cunningham, Paul A. Military Tokens of the United States - Vol.I
(Domestic Issues). Tecumseh, MI. 1995. 440pp., illus. $50.00
Cunningham, Paul A. Same title as above. Vol.II (Overseas Issues).
Tecumseh, 1998. 461pp., illus. $49.95

Paul Cunningham is a longtime Michigan tokens dealer, perhaps best
known for his catalog, MICHIGAN TRADE TOKENS.

It is a shame that such efforts are not more widely distributed across
the hobby. Michigan is blessed as the home of the ANA. Even as the
hobby suffers from the demise of the local coin store and the local
coin club, we are doing fine here. Michigan exports numismatic
collectibles into the hobby and Michigan dealers are known as strong
buyers at conventions. If you live in Metro Detroit, there is a show
every weekend. You can make two coin club meetings a week. Well,
actually, you would have to make choices because you'd have scheduling
conflicts. There are that many from Southgate to Pontiac, from
Westland to Flint. The freeways make every place near or far the same
drive.

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Not to mention Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, Bob Seeger ...
... and
Motown."
Old February 9th 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Johnny Doe

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:26:14 +0000, Peter Smith
wrote:

When I said dateless, I meant that the date had been worn off

The USN goes straight across the buffalo, not round the edge.

Here is an example of the Countermark upon a morgan dollar, it is the
exact type of script as well

http://fao-coins.info/ctstp/images/USN.JPG

If you look closely at this image, it is pretty obvious that the "USN"
was stamped in AFTER it was worn to the point it is now, with no
circulation after that time. I vote for someone trying to make a
collectible out of something that was only of scrap value before
stamping.

Buffalo Nickel Mr. Jaggers Coins 7 April 13th 07 09:12 PM
A Must Have Buffalo Nickel!!!! (not) Scott Coins 12 October 24th 05 06:38 PM
New buffalo nickel Edwin Johnston Coins 12 July 16th 05 03:17 AM
New Buffalo Nickel Dale Hallmark Coins 0 April 23rd 05 03:32 AM
A New Buffalo nickel Mark A. Behrens Coins 0 September 16th 04 06:03 PM