Too much ink...

Old December 16th 05, 06:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default Too much ink...

I have a Pelikan 805 that I purchased new in September, and I had the
manufacturer re-nib it with an Extra Fine nib after finding the Fine nib
creates a very broad stroke for me. My ink problem doesn't relate to
flow while writing, but rather with ink buildup and, ultimately, drips
because too much ink is in the feed.

Right now the ink is completely filling the first three "tines" that are
visible on the feed, and I believe this is the problem. I write and
enter numbers on my keyboard throughout the day. With my original nib
there wasn't any problem with that, but with the current nib drops of
ink shake loose and fall on my keyboard due to the pen's motion in my hand.

I found information on the web explaining Pelikan nibs are easily
removed and inserted: they're threaded with standard right-hand threads.
I removed the assembly and inspected it, then reinstalled it. Not being
familiar with the detailed workings of a fountain pen, I don't know how
to resolve this problem.

If anyone knows the solution is simple, I'd love to hear it. If not,
I'll send it back to Chartpak for adjustment. Oh, since it's probably
relevant I'm using a mix of Noodler's Black and Contract Blue ink.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old December 16th 05, 06:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Hi Mike,

You might want to check to make sure the nib is screwed in to the feed
tightly. If this doesn't do it, then send it back to Chartpak. Hope this
helps.

Best wishes,

Chuck

rvers.com...

Old December 16th 05, 08:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

The simplest question to ask is whether you are clearing the feed
after filling the pen. If not, this might be the source of the excess
ink in the feed. Dab the feed with a bit of soft towel or tissue
after filling; quite a bit of ink will be absorbed.

http://www.chartpak.com/news/pelikan_fill.html

Old December 22nd 05, 11:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Wow! Chartpak is amazing. I already have the pen back from them and
they replaced the nib with another: an 18k nib (which I believe they
only include standard on the 1000 model).

They certainly recovered gracefully on this problem.

Mike