music nib vs broad nib

Old December 16th 05, 08:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default music nib vs broad nib

what is the difference between a music nib and a broad nib?

Old December 16th 05, 03:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

jeffdanz wrote:

what is the difference between a music nib and a broad nib?

Most of the music nibs have 2 slits (3 tines) and tend to be shaped more
like a stub nib (almost an italic with the outside edges of the nib rounded
off slightly). The only companies I know of that offer "true" music nibs
are Namiki and Platinum (though I'm not positive that either company is
currently manufacturing these nibs). Sailor also offers a nib they call a
"music" nib but in my opinion it is more of a broad "stub" than a music nib
as it only has one slit in the nib (2 tines). I have tried all 3 of these
nibs and they all do write quite similar, offer some line variation when
used for general writing, only the Namiki and the Sailor tend to be a little
more flexible because of the extra cut in the nib. Every once in awhile you
can find a vintage music nib for sale. I lucked out on getting one off
e-Bay several years ago that was advertised as a broad nib. Hope this
helps.

Best wishes,

Old December 16th 05, 05:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

thanks for the information. So, for writing music, does the music nib work
better than a broad nib or stub nib? Not sure I undestand why this would be
or why a more "flexible" nib would be desired.

Jeff

Old December 16th 05, 05:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Jeff wrote:

thanks for the information. So, for writing music, does the music nib
work better than a broad nib or stub nib? Not sure I undestand why this
would be or why a more "flexible" nib would be desired.

Sorry but I don't write music. Hopefully someone else can explain why they
made these nibs were originally flexible and had 3 tines instead of 2.

Old December 16th 05, 06:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Chuck Swisher wrote:
Jeff wrote:

thanks for the information. So, for writing music, does the music
nib work better than a
broad nib or stub nib? Not sure I undestand why
this would be or why a more "flexible" nib would
be desired.

Sorry but I don't write music. Hopefully someone
else can explain why they made these nibs were
originally flexible and had 3 tines instead of 2.

Hi Jeff/Chuck... Music nibs should be very broad and ground flat at the
tip to allow for very broad and very thin stokes. Think about what music
notes look like... I don't think flexibility is something music nib
makers were ever shooting for... They make 'em with two (or more) slits
to provide greater ink flow not increase flexibility. The music nib
designation says something about the pen's intended function. Stub and
broad say nothing about the pen's intended function. Thus you can buy
stubs and broads with narrower or rounder tips that really don't provide
the line variation needed to write music. -- B

Old December 16th 05, 06:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Thanks B! Makes sense to me, I use mine for writing cards and addressing
envelopes.

Chuck

Old December 16th 05, 09:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Chuck Swisher wrote:
Thanks B! Makes sense to me, I use mine for
writing cards and addressing envelopes.

Chuck

And I use mine to write boring ol' chart notes.
I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket let alone write one... music pen or
no music pen. -- B

Old December 19th 05, 12:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default music nib vs broad nib / Platinum Music pen review

Hi Jeff and other aficionados,

You asked about Music pens vis a vis reg broads. It's like chalk and cheese.

Here's a very instructive Stylophiles article review by Dyas Anna Lawson on
the platinum music culled from the sadly defunct Penlovers and Stylophiles.
Fyi and edification. Click on the link, download the word file which you
can open or save to comp.

http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...sicstyloph.doc

I use the wonderful 3 tined Platinum music pen as my daily user with Nathan
Noodler's ink in a Burgundy Ottoman Rose mix. The others rotate regularly
but the plat is a regular! I like parker 51 and Sailor zoom, which also
nice but no comparison. Delta Israel 50 and Animals, Pilot Murex, Nakaya
tortoise which is basically Platinum but sells at a hefty premium.

I am selling Platinum Musics and others if you and/or anyone on the pen
board are interested at super low year end prices. Please write for details
Dov If you hit reply to above you must delete the
NOSPAM from the email address. Before I put this in I was inundated with
filth and spam.

This is a pen you will enjoy and have no regrets. Not many left as Chuck
pointed out. There is an 83 year old nib meister in the Platinum HQ hand
making these unique nibs. Smooth, broad and line variation.

Have a happy Christmas Hanukah and New Year all !
Dov