Survey: 2,000 US Jefferson nickels

Old February 28th 05, 01:46 AM
Vector

Default Survey: 2,000 US Jefferson nickels

Five days ago I bought 50 rolls of nickels, 6 rolls from seven
different locations and 8 rolls from an eighth location. I've sorted
them out and tallied them up. Total coins came to 2,001. One of them
was a 1974-D Dime, I excluded it in my percentage calculations.
Other oddities found were a silver 1943-P and a 1972 Canadian.

I was prompted to do this when a number of people made comments that
2004 nickels were as common as dirt in their locations. While that
hadn't been my observation. The results showed me that the Peace
medal design was more common than I thought, and the Keelboat design
is indeed scarce (here). But, even the Peace nickel is far from
"common as dirt", coming in 20th and 21st on the list.

The following is a list of what I found, sorted in descending order by
quantity found. Do you Pros see anything unexpected in this result?

Year MM Qty Percent
2000 D 130 6.50
2001 P 116 5.80
1999 P 99 4.95
2002 D 90 4.50
1999 D 59 2.95
1996 D 58 2.90
2002 P 55 2.75
1994 D 53 2.65
1995 D 51 2.55
1998 P 50 2.50
1996 P 47 2.35
1998 D 46 2.30
1994 P 44 2.20
2003 D 43 2.15
1964 D 40 2.00
1989 P 36 1.80
1997 D 36 1.80
1991 P 33 1.65
2003 P 33 1.65
2004 D Peace 31 1.55
2004 P Peace 31 1.55
1992 P 30 1.50
2001 D 30 1.50
1988 D 29 1.45
1995 P 29 1.45
1989 D 28 1.40
1997 P 28 1.40
2000 P 27 1.35
1988 P 26 1.30
1981 P 25 1.25
1984 D 22 1.10
1984 P 22 1.10
1983 P 21 1.05
1990 P 21 1.05
1992 D 21 1.05
1964 20 1.00
1993 D 20 1.00
1976 D 18 0.90
1980 P 18 0.90
1986 P 18 0.90
1987 D 17 0.85
1991 D 17 0.85
1980 D 16 0.80
1990 D 16 0.80
1993 P 15 0.75
1970 D 14 0.70
1985 D 14 0.70
1978 13 0.65
1976 12 0.60
1975 D 11 0.55
1979 11 0.55
1985 P 11 0.55
1973 10 0.50
1977 10 0.50
1978 D 10 0.50
1973 D 9 0.45
1974 D 9 0.45
1974 9 0.45
1977 D 9 0.45
1970 S 8 0.40
1983 D 8 0.40
1986 D 8 0.40
1971 D 7 0.35
1972 D 7 0.35
1979 D 7 0.35
1981 D 7 0.35
1987 P 7 0.35
1961 D 5 0.25
1963 D 5 0.25
1965 5 0.25
1982 D 5 0.25
2004 P Keel 5 0.25
1963 4 0.20
1971 4 0.20
1975 4 0.20
1962 D 3 0.15
1969 D 3 0.15
1969 S 3 0.15
1953 D 2 0.10
1957 D 2 0.10
1958 D 2 0.10
1966 2 0.10
1972 2 0.10
1982 P 2 0.10
1940 S 1 0.05
1941 D 1 0.05
1943 P 1 0.05
1946 1 0.05
1947 1 0.05
1948 1 0.05
1952 D 1 0.05
1954 D 1 0.05
1956 D 1 0.05
1960 D 1 0.05
1960 1 0.05
1961 1 0.05
1967 1 0.05
1968 S 1 0.05
1972 Canada 1 0.05
1974 D DIME 1 0.05
2004 D Keel 1 0.05
1956 0 0.00
1957 0 0.00
1958 0 0.00
1959 D 0 0.00
1959 0 0.00
1962 0 0.00
1968 D 0 0.00

Old February 28th 05, 02:13 AM

Very interesting. Thanks.

This shows one of the most interesting changes that has occured in
pocket change in the last half a century. Back in the 1950's all of
the tough coins would have been removed by the large numbers of
collectors. Today even those you didn't find would show up if you had
a suficiently large sample.

Another thing that would be seen in a larger sample is that the
pre-1965 coins show up in high grades like XF and AU while the later
coins are rarely seen in better condition. This is because collectors
have saved the older coins out of circulation for long periods while
they have basically ignored the later issues.

Old February 28th 05, 02:45 AM
Ron

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:46:18 -0600, Vector
wrote:

Five days ago I bought 50 rolls of nickels, 6 rolls from seven
different locations and 8 rolls from an eighth location. I've sorted
them out and tallied them up. Total coins came to 2,001. One of them
was a 1974-D Dime, I excluded it in my percentage calculations.
Other oddities found were a silver 1943-P and a 1972 Canadian.

I was prompted to do this when a number of people made comments that
2004 nickels were as common as dirt in their locations. While that
hadn't been my observation. The results showed me that the Peace
medal design was more common than I thought, and the Keelboat design
is indeed scarce (here). But, even the Peace nickel is far from
"common as dirt", coming in 20th and 21st on the list.

The following is a list of what I found, sorted in descending order by
quantity found. Do you Pros see anything unexpected in this result?

---snip---

Nice data, this might just get me working on a set of these. Been
thinking about it for a while. Was actually putting Jeffersons aside
for a while to look at later.

I don't do nearly as much collecting from the pocket as I should.

Ron

Old February 28th 05, 03:08 AM
Alan Williams

Vector wrote:

Five days ago I bought 50 rolls of nickels, 6 rolls from seven
different locations and 8 rolls from an eighth location. I've sorted
them out and tallied them up. Total coins came to 2,001. One of them
was a 1974-D Dime, I excluded it in my percentage calculations.
Other oddities found were a silver 1943-P and a 1972 Canadian.

You did see my find of a 1930 Buffalo on Saturday, right? gloating

I was prompted to do this when a number of people made comments that
2004 nickels were as common as dirt in their locations. While that
hadn't been my observation. The results showed me that the Peace
medal design was more common than I thought, and the Keelboat design
is indeed scarce (here). But, even the Peace nickel is far from
"common as dirt", coming in 20th and 21st on the list.

Without furnishing a street address, what is your location? ;-)

The following is a list of what I found, sorted in descending order by
quantity found. Do you Pros see anything unexpected in this result?

Year MM Qty Percent
2000 D 130 6.50
2001 P 116 5.80
1999 P 99 4.95
2002 D 90 4.50
1999 D 59 2.95
1996 D 58 2.90
2002 P 55 2.75
1994 D 53 2.65
1995 D 51 2.55
1998 P 50 2.50

For me, the 1998 places higher than this. Many of the ones I see have
machine doubling on the date.

1996 P 47 2.35
1998 D 46 2.30
1994 P 44 2.20
2003 D 43 2.15
1964 D 40 2.00
1989 P 36 1.80
1997 D 36 1.80
1991 P 33 1.65
2003 P 33 1.65
2004 D Peace 31 1.55
2004 P Peace 31 1.55

Equal P+D? Now I really want to know where you live! P outnumbers D
here in Cumberland, MD roughly 10 to 1.

1992 P 30 1.50
2001 D 30 1.50
1988 D 29 1.45
1995 P 29 1.45
1989 D 28 1.40
1997 P 28 1.40
2000 P 27 1.35
1988 P 26 1.30
1981 P 25 1.25
1984 D 22 1.10
1984 P 22 1.10
1983 P 21 1.05
1990 P 21 1.05
1992 D 21 1.05
1964 20 1.00

Except for the 1964's. I get them in nearly equal numbers. I could
have built a scale replica of Notre Dame with all the 1964's I've
discarded in the past 3 and half years. ;-) (Carl Barks, Phantom of
Notre Duck, Duck fans will understand!)

1993 D 20 1.00
1976 D 18 0.90
1980 P 18 0.90
1986 P 18 0.90
1987 D 17 0.85
1991 D 17 0.85
1980 D 16 0.80
1990 D 16 0.80
1993 P 15 0.75
1970 D 14 0.70
1985 D 14 0.70
1978 13 0.65
1976 12 0.60
1975 D 11 0.55
1979 11 0.55
1985 P 11 0.55
1973 10 0.50
1977 10 0.50
1978 D 10 0.50
1973 D 9 0.45
1974 D 9 0.45
1974 9 0.45
1977 D 9 0.45
1970 S 8 0.40
1983 D 8 0.40
1986 D 8 0.40
1971 D 7 0.35

'71-D seems much more frequent to me, but as a discard, I can't suggest
a frequency for which I find it.

1972 D 7 0.35
1979 D 7 0.35
1981 D 7 0.35
1987 P 7 0.35

Wow! Way under-represented. Not only do I get scads and scads of 1987
P, a substantial number show strong luster, no circulation and
especially strong strikes!

1961 D 5 0.25
1963 D 5 0.25
1965 5 0.25
1982 D 5 0.25
2004 P Keel 5 0.25

I can't argue with a truth. ;-/ Keelboats here are at least as common
as Peace, now.

1963 4 0.20
1971 4 0.20
1975 4 0.20
1962 D 3 0.15
1969 D 3 0.15
1969 S 3 0.15
1953 D 2 0.10
1957 D 2 0.10
1958 D 2 0.10
1966 2 0.10
1972 2 0.10

While 1972 is one of the issues that I hoard, it's far more common for
me to find than 1/1,000. More like 1/100.

1982 P 2 0.10
1940 S 1 0.05

Really cool!

1941 D 1 0.05
1943 P 1 0.05

Cool!

1946 1 0.05
1947 1 0.05
1948 1 0.05
1952 D 1 0.05
1954 D 1 0.05
1956 D 1 0.05
1960 D 1 0.05
1960 1 0.05

Definitely a tough date. '60-D is common though, here. D outnumbers P
for 1960 in my hoard at least 15 or 20 to 1.

1961 1 0.05
1967 1 0.05

So there is no longer an argument with my assertion that this Jeff is
'hard to find' in circulation? Sometimes I go a month without finding
one.

1968 S 1 0.05
1972 Canada 1 0.05
1974 D DIME 1 0.05
2004 D Keel 1 0.05
1956 0 0.00
1957 0 0.00
1958 0 0.00
1959 D 0 0.00

Nowhere near as tough as the 1958 and 1959 P issues. I've got a roll of
1959-D's done now.

1959 0 0.00
1962 0 0.00
1968 D 0 0.00

A sleeper. But in $50 I'd expect to see 4 or 5.

Where are the 1939, 1940 and 1941 P's? I get 1940 and 1941 at least as
often as 1966 and 1967...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your findings! It's fun and
nice to have a second sampling site to compare to my experience!

Alan
'congratulations on your profit, too!'
Old February 28th 05, 03:40 AM
Vector

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:08:45 -0500, Alan Williams
wrote:

snip

You did see my find of a 1930 Buffalo on Saturday, right? gloating

Yeah, I saw that, I haven't found a Buffalo in decades!

snip

Without furnishing a street address, what is your location? ;-)

Panama City -- central panhandle of Florida

The following is a list of what I found, sorted in descending order by

snip
1998 P 50 2.50

For me, the 1998 places higher than this. Many of the ones I see have
machine doubling on the date.

All I've done so far is sort and tally. Now, I'll go back and pick
some to keep. I'll check that.
1996 P 47 2.35

snip
2004 D Peace 31 1.55
2004 P Peace 31 1.55

Equal P+D? Now I really want to know where you live! P outnumbers D
here in Cumberland, MD roughly 10 to 1.

That's what I found : \
1992 P 30 1.50

snip
1987 P 7 0.35

Wow! Way under-represented. Not only do I get scads and scads of 1987
P, a substantial number show strong luster, no circulation and
especially strong strikes!

That IS odd. I can't imagine the reason for this discrepancy.

snip
1940 S 1 0.05

Really cool!

Yup, and the '43-P too ;-)
1941 D 1 0.05

snip
1968 D 0 0.00

A sleeper. But in $50 I'd expect to see 4 or 5.

$100, actually, LOL, should've been 8 to 10?

Where are the 1939, 1940 and 1941 P's? I get 1940 and 1941 at least as
often as 1966 and 1967...

I dunno. No doubt the larger the sample the higher the accuracy ...
but $100 was all I could swing. Besides, 20,000 would've taken me
more than a month to sort through. Thirty years ago I used to take on
that many Cents ... somehow I seemed to have more leisure time back
then.

I appreciate your feedback. But, I have no clue about the apparent
discrepancies. I guess the "Redneck Riviera" effect might have
something to do with it.
Old February 28th 05, 04:43 AM
Alan Williams

Vector wrote:

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:08:45 -0500, Alan Williams
wrote:

snip

You did see my find of a 1930 Buffalo on Saturday, right? gloating

Yeah, I saw that, I haven't found a Buffalo in decades!

Two in the past two years, over here. Nickels earn my personal nod as
the most productive denomination for searching, at least at the present
time. ;-)

snip

Without furnishing a street address, what is your location? ;-)

Panama City -- central panhandle of Florida

Thanks!

1992 P 30 1.50

snip
1987 P 7 0.35

Wow! Way under-represented. Not only do I get scads and scads of 1987
P, a substantial number show strong luster, no circulation and
especially strong strikes!

That IS odd. I can't imagine the reason for this discrepancy.

I think some one must have 'over-ordered' 18 years ago. It's the volume
of these I find in high states of preservation that amazes me most!

1968 D 0 0.00

A sleeper. But in $50 I'd expect to see 4 or 5.

$100, actually, LOL, should've been 8 to 10?

Yes, that would be about equal to the frequency I see.

Where are the 1939, 1940 and 1941 P's? I get 1940 and 1941 at least as
often as 1966 and 1967...

I dunno. No doubt the larger the sample the higher the accuracy ...
but $100 was all I could swing. Besides, 20,000 would've taken me
more than a month to sort through. Thirty years ago I used to take on
that many Cents ... somehow I seemed to have more leisure time back
then.

I appreciate your feedback. But, I have no clue about the apparent
discrepancies. I guess the "Redneck Riviera" effect might have
something to do with it.

There are definitely local variations in SQ distribution. Apparently it
holds true with the five cent piece, too!

Alan
'hopes the 2005's aren't scarce here'
Old February 28th 05, 11:02 PM
bri

"Vector" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:08:45 -0500, Alan Williams
wrote:

snip

[...]

It took me about 5 months to go through 60,000 cents. I know I missed
something good.
There was an article a few months back where a landfill removed all of the
coins from just one day's worth of garbage pick up. It was around 7 grand at
just that one site.
That's where most older coins are ending up.

I appreciate your feedback. But, I have no clue about the apparent
discrepancies. I guess the "Redneck Riviera" effect might have
something to do with it.

The advent of Coinstars all over the place have made it so many banks never
have to order coins to meet demand. They are swimming in coinage from what
I've read.
This is why some areas have never seen any of the '04 designs because their
area might not need to get any more nickels to meet demand.
My area doesn't get any new SHQ's until around 3 weeks after they come out.
It used to be you could get those as soon as they were released. So it takes
about 3 weeks to a month for banks around me to get to where they need more
quarters. Pretty soon if things keep going like this I'm going to have to
start buying them because I won't wait for months until I can even see one
around here.
I've only seen three Texas quarters and 4 Floridas. But there are a ton of
Iowa's and Wisconsins around.