Any Advice on sorting through coins

Old August 14th 04, 06:08 PM
Mike

Default Any Advice on sorting through coins

I recently came across a resonable size collection or ordinary coins from a
elderly family memebr. These coins were saved from many years (40's 50's,
60's, 70's, 80's). Most seem very normal but I suspect there are some real
gems. I was planning to look through them but I was looking for some high
level advice on what to look for.

Is there a top ten list of things to look for as you scan a pile of older
coins?

Old August 14th 04, 06:18 PM
A.Gent

news

http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins/faq.html#WORTH

Old August 15th 04, 01:26 AM
bri

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I recently came across a resonable size collection or ordinary coins from

elderly family memebr. These coins were saved from many years (40's 50's,
60's, 70's, 80's). Most seem very normal but I suspect there are some

real
gems. I was planning to look through them but I was looking for some high
level advice on what to look for.

Is there a top ten list of things to look for as you scan a pile of older
coins?

Get a loupe from a dealer or a hobby store. You will want to look at each
one under magnification and getting a loupe is the way to go. You want to
look for double dies, RPM's, die cracks, die varieties, strike, luster and
surface preservation. Just for starters anyhow.
Somewhere here there will be posts from George D with a huge list of
websites--have fun ;-)

Old August 15th 04, 03:51 AM
George D

bri wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
news
I recently came across a resonable size collection or ordinary coins from

elderly family memebr. These coins were saved from many years (40's 50's,
60's, 70's, 80's). Most seem very normal but I suspect there are some

real

gems. I was planning to look through them but I was looking for some high
level advice on what to look for.

Is there a top ten list of things to look for as you scan a pile of older
coins?

Get a loupe from a dealer or a hobby store. You will want to look at each
one under magnification and getting a loupe is the way to go. You want to
look for double dies, RPM's, die cracks, die varieties, strike, luster and
surface preservation. Just for starters anyhow.
Somewhere here there will be posts from George D with a huge list of
websites--have fun ;-)

Sorry but Wheeler took that over I am doing the Value and abbreviations. If I can find a
copy of the URLs I will start reposting them until he gets back on line.

Hurry back Wheeler.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old August 15th 04, 04:05 AM
George D

I hope Roscoe does not mind if I post these in his absence.

**** Web Sites of Interest (Part # 1) ****

African coins information
http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/africa.htm
African Tokens
http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/aftokens.htm

Ancient Coins
http://www.albany.net/~fr/index.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/scottish...s/prescot.html
http://www.atlantis-ltd.net/
http://www.blarg.net/~brad/coins.htm
http://www.coolcoins.com/
http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Collecting/Coins/Ancient/
http://www.parthia.com/
http://www.vosper4coins.co.uk/
http://www.vcoins.com/civitas/store/dynamicIndex.asp
Search auction and sale results of ancient coins
http://www.wildwinds.com

Australian coins
http://www.austriancoins.com
http://www.coins-stamps.com.au/
http://eboutique.ramint.gov.au/
http://www.triton.vg
Australian Definition of Coin Grading
http://www.australianstamp.com/Coin-...ry/grading.htm

Coins and history of Asia
http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/coins.html

Belgium, Switzerland, Flanders and Brabant minted under
Albrecht and Isabella (1598-1621)
http://www.marcnollet.com.

Canadian sites
http://www.jandm.com/defaultsecure.htm
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/index.htm
http://www.canadiancoinnews.ca/
http://www.julaine.ca/canbiblio/
http://www.canadiancoin.com/
http://www.canadian-numismatic.org/
http://www.coinoisseur.com/index.html
http://www.colonialacres.com/home.shtml
http://www.nunetcan.net/
http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/cp/
Canadian Paper Money FAQ
http://webhome.idirect.com/~mjp/mjpqna.html
Canadian coin prices
http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/cp/

Dutch royal mint:
http://www.koninklijkenederlandsemunt.nl

The Euro
*NOTE* Two problems here. There is no "official" site
that lists all the euro coins since the collectors pieces
are country specific. [Contrary to the circulating coins,
they are legal tender in the issuing country only.] Then
we have the language obstacle.
http://www.cacoins.com
http://www.eurocollections.com/
http://www.euro-coincollection.nl/main.html
http://www.ecb.int/index.html
http://www.just-in-case.tmfweb.nl/eurosite.htm
http://europa.eu.int/euro/html/home5.html?lang=5
http://www.muenzehamburg.de/deutsch8...body_news1.htm
http://www.eurogedenkmuenzen.net/frames/left_euro.htm
http://europa.eu.int/euro/html/entry.html
http://www.euromuenzensammeln.de/
http://www.larsfinster.de/euro/beschaffung.htm
http://www.eurogedenkmuenzen.net/
http://www.euromuenzeninfo.de/
http://www.euroswapper.com
Where to buy Euros at
http://www.cgb.fr/boutique/eurogb.html

France
http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/indexgb.html

German
http://www.germancoins.com
Euro
http://www.muenzehamburg.de/deutsch8...body_news1.htm
German Inflationary Notgeld 1922-1923
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/5373/notgeld.htm
German language coin forums
http://www.muenzen.net/
http://www.muenzforum.com/

British India
http://www.geocities.com/jmd_brussels/EURUKE.html
http://www.angelfire.com/on2/coins/british.html
http://www.worlderrors.com/
Banknotes of India
http://www.geocities.com/enchantedhorse

Island of Jersey
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~hfears/coins.htm
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~hfears/sets/sets.htm

Israel Error Coins
http://www.geocities.com/israelerrorcoins/

New Zealand
http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/index.html

Siberian Coins (Moneta Sibirskaya)
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/scottishmoney/sib.html

Scottishmoney and a LOT more!
This is a must see web site!
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/scottishmoney/
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/scottish...ins/coins.html

U.K. Coins
http://www.centralbank.ie/
http://www.guernsey.net/~sgibbs/numismatics/
http://www.royalmint.com/
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~kenelks/index2.htm
UK coins newsgroup

USA Coins
http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/csr/cadnnc.htm
http://www.bowersandmerena.com/
http://www.byronreed.com/BCTC/home.htm
http://www.coins.nd.edu/
http://www.coinfacts.com/
http://www.cointoday.com/
http://www.coinworld.com/
http://www.collectors.com/index_flash_version.chtml
http://www.coppercoins.com/
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/1955/55counter.html
http://www.davidhall.com/index.chtml
http://www.davidlawrence.com/
http://www.dmoz.org/Recreation/Collecting/Coins/
http://www.fullstepnickel.com/
http://www.greysheet.com/
http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/4044/fullhorn.html
http://www.harlanjberk.com/
http://www.indiancent.com/
http://www.indiancent.com/index.html
http://www.jakesmp.com/
http://www.kenbarr.com/
http://www.quarterdesigns.com/
http://www.money.org/index.shtml
http://www.nactcoin.com/catalog/index.php
http://www.ngccoin.com/
http://www.teletrade.com/coins/
http://www.usmint.gov
http://www.uspatterns.com
http://www.uscents.com/
http://www.vamlink.com/
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/
http://www.wooden-nickel.org/

World Coins
http://www.austrian-mint.com/
http://www.coins-stamps.com.au/index.html
http://www.come2jordan.com/money/
http://www.dkm.no/myntbutikk/default.asp?Spraak=E
http://www.gouv.mc/
http://www.jandm.com/defaultsecure.htm
http://www.joelscoins.com
http://www.members.aol.com/yousri/mints.htm
http://www.pandaamerica.com/coins.html
http://www.pobjoy.com/countryframes.htm
http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/cp/
http://www.worldwidecoins.co.uk/
World Errors
http://mikebyers.com
http://minterrornews.com
http://www.worlderrors.com/

Misc
http://www.coinbooks.info/
http://www.coinfacts.com/Administrative/home.html
http://community-2.webtv.net/dana030/Numismatic/
http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/links.html
http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/4044/fullhorn.html
http://home.psknet.com/tbirde
http://www.krause.com/
http://www.limunltd.com/numismatica/...oin-slang.html
http://www.mycoins.us/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/reidgold/deks
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/reidgold/fourees
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/winde2000/index.html
http://www.money.org/replicas.html
http://www.netaxs.com/~reidgold/saint
http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml
http://www.pipeline.com/~jmuchow/rccmint/index.html
http://users.pullman.com/fjstevens/tokens/index.html
http://www.rich.frb.org/econed/museum/
http://www.secretservice.gov/money_receive.shtml
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html
http://www.thestujoecollection.com/

If you find any links that does not work, or you have a
link that you would like to have added to this list, then
please email me at:
.
Thanks: Wheeler

Old August 17th 04, 10:33 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:26:13 GMT, "bri" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I recently came across a resonable size collection or ordinary coins from

elderly family memebr. These coins were saved from many years (40's 50's,
60's, 70's, 80's). Most seem very normal but I suspect there are some

real
gems. I was planning to look through them but I was looking for some high
level advice on what to look for.

Is there a top ten list of things to look for as you scan a pile of older
coins?

Get a loupe from a dealer or a hobby store. You will want to look at each
one under magnification and getting a loupe is the way to go. You want to
look for double dies, RPM's, die cracks, die varieties, strike, luster and
surface preservation. Just for starters anyhow.
Somewhere here there will be posts from George D with a huge list of
websites--have fun ;-)

Minor correction- not a nit, really, but the term is "Doubled Dies",
not "Double dies." In this case, the difference is very large.
Lots of folks get taken because of the confusion. It gets expensive.
HTH. Aram.
Old August 17th 04, 05:31 PM
LRC-Tom

Get a loupe from a dealer or a hobby store. You will want to look at each
one under magnification and getting a loupe is the way to go. You want to
look for double dies, RPM's, die cracks, die varieties, strike, luster and
surface preservation. Just for starters anyhow.

By the nature of the original question, I doubt he's going to have the
experience to identify RPMs, die varieties, etc., or even know what
these things are. Best advice for a novice, IMHO, is to buy a
Redbook ("Guide Book of United States Coins" by R.S. Yeoman) at any
large bookstore, look for the valuable date-mintmark combinations, and
see if he's lucky enough to possess any.

....Tom

How to select a coin holder -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 March 14th 04 05:35 PM
Coin Books Dale Hallmark Coins 2 February 15th 04 08:03 PM
Advice on selling coins (Kennedy Errors) CB Coins 9 November 17th 03 01:04 PM
Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post Jim Coins 19 November 17th 03 05:37 AM