Salisbury's Library Book Sale

Old October 6th 12, 02:29 AM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Salisbury's Library Book Sale

Not all book sales are created equal. I have mentioned in
the past the annual Westport sale which often features books
from the libraries of celebrities or New York City book
publishers. This weekend, the Town of Salisbury in
Connecticut is having a library book sale, and, as many
towns do, they have a preview evening on Friday that is open
to those willing to pay a fee to get in. Dealers and
determined collectors are the ones who usually take
advantage of this offer.

But Salisbury's preview evening is a little different.
First of all, they only have 8,000 books for sale, a number
that hardly invites serious book fiends. Second, they are
charging $25 admission, not the usual $5 or $10 that other
towns charge. But, admittedly, one gets more for his or her
money in upper-class Salisbury. Nowhere else that I have
seen includes a cocktail party as part of the opening
festivities.

But then, I thought, what book addict is going to pause for
alcohol when the possibility exists that there is a first
edition of a prized work that sipping the martini could put
in the hands of someone else? No, I concluded, the
addictions are fairly incompatible. Those who stand with
the martini glass in hand are simply not book lovers. They
prefer the scent of grape or grain to the musty smell of an
old book that has sat for years on the lower shelf of a
night table. They will never have their arms filled with
books as they stumble from table to table seeking treasures
that others have overlooked. Nor does the book addict have
need of the sharp taste of spirits to lift his own. What
can drink offer to one who thrills at finding a first
printing of the Second Revised Edition (the definitive
edition, mind you) of Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring?
Such joys are longer lasting too, as the book lover finds
a proper place in one of many bookcases for the volume,
after lovingly straightening any page corners that have been
turned down by philistines who have failed to properly care
for the book. There the book resides with no direct sun to
fade its bright spine, to be brought out for admiration year
after year.

No, alcohol and books do not belong together any more than
drinking and driving. Libraries should stick to their mylar
book covers as cobblers should stick to their lasts.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Mesure is Medicine þauh þou muche ȝeor[n]e.
Al nis not good to þe gost þat þe bodi lykeþ,
Ne lyflode to þe licam þat leof is to þe soule.

William Langland, The Vision of Piers Plowman
Passus I, lines 33 - 35
Old October 6th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Pogonip[_2_]

On 10/5/2012 6:29 PM, Francis A. Miniter wrote:
No, alcohol and books do not belong together any more than drinking and
driving. Libraries should stick to their mylar book covers as cobblers
should stick to their lasts.

But why not a celebratory drink after making the book selections? It's
also attractive for pairs, when only one is interested in the books, the
other can indulge and schmooze with the other indulgers.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old October 6th 12, 01:03 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson[_2_]

On 10/5/2012 6:29 PM, Francis A. Miniter wrote:

No, alcohol and books do not belong together any more than drinking and
driving. Libraries should stick to their mylar book covers as cobblers
should stick to their lasts.

Seconded.
Our little grey cells seek out both books and booze for stimulation,
but of different types, and saturation by either precludes the other.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old October 14th 12, 10:26 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Oct 5, 11:24*pm, Pogonip wrote:

But why not a celebratory drink after making the book selections? *It's
also attractive for pairs, when only one is interested in the books, the
other can indulge and schmooze with the other indulgers.

I would agree with that. Business first, then pleasure!
Old October 15th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Transition Zone

On Oct 5, 11:24*pm, Pogonip wrote:
On 10/5/2012 6:29 PM, Francis A. Miniter wrote:

No, alcohol and books do not belong together any more than drinking and
driving. *Libraries should stick to their mylar book covers as cobblers
should stick to their lasts.

But why not a celebratory drink after making the book

selections?*It's
also attractive for pairs, when only one is interested in the books, the
other can indulge and schmooze with the other indulgers.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the other schmoozers.
Old October 15th 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Transition Zone

On Oct 5, 9:29*pm, "Francis A. Miniter" wrote:
Not all book sales are created equal. *I have mentioned in
the past the annual Westport sale which often features books
from the libraries of celebrities or New York City book
publishers. *This weekend, the Town of Salisbury in
Connecticut is having a library book sale, and, as many
towns do, they have a preview evening on Friday that is open
to those willing to pay a fee to get in.

You know, I always wanted to visit the Frankfurt book fair in Germany.
"Buchmesse" is what I think they call it there, rather than the
"international" term. I guess I just never found the time to travel.
Old October 16th 12, 12:54 AM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin

No, alcohol and books do not belong together any more than
drinking and driving. Libraries should stick to their mylar
book covers as cobblers should stick to their lasts.

There would be something appropriate about buying a desirable edition
of "On the Road" or "The Good Soldier Svejk" when you were as drunk
as the author was when writing it.

I once bought a book when coming down off an acid trip. I went into
the second-hand bookshop in Shortland Street, Auckland, next to the
park (I think it's still there 40 years on). The book that caught my
eye was a 1970-ish British edition of Elizabeth Smart's "By Grand
Central Station I Sat Down and Wept", with a purely typographic
cover - plain black serif type on white, but with the letters at the
bottom made to run as if dissolved by a tear. That drip *moved*.

I bought it on the spot and went off home reading it in a trance. I've
still got it and it works just as well a few decades after taking the
chemicals.

(Google isn't finding me that cover design - is there a cover design
archive somewhere that might show it?)

Old October 16th 12, 03:50 AM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 10/15/2012 19:54 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
[...]

Hi Jack,

I checked various listing entities and could not find an
image.

I note that that book has aged well in terms of
collectibility. Wow!

Old October 17th 12, 08:56 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Jim G.

Francis A. Miniter sent the following on Fri, 05 Oct 2012 21:29:10
-0400:
No, alcohol and books do not belong together any more than
drinking and driving.

I have a glass of Merlot that's telling me that you're crazy.

--
Jim G. | A fan of good reading, good writing, and fellow bookworms
http://www.goodreads.com/jimgysin/

Library Book Sale Finds Francis A. Miniter[_2_] Books 4 April 13th 10 11:20 PM
Unusual library book sale Francis A. Miniter[_2_] Books 0 June 22nd 08 03:22 PM
Library book sale, directed toward booksellers David Ames Books 2 March 16th 07 03:31 PM
Library Book Ralph Meeker Books 2 April 3rd 06 02:25 AM
New type of library book sale Matt J. McCullar Books 5 February 2nd 05 10:34 PM