Russia - Michel vs Scott

Old December 28th 03, 12:02 AM
Dakota

Default Russia - Michel vs Scott

Golly, I've bumped into a real conumdrum - hope somebody here can help
me.

I'm a Scott person in the U.S. trying to buy some Russian issues from
a Michel person in Australia. Up here, Down there - different catalogs
- Aw Criminy!

Anyway, I have a set of Russian issues from May 27th, 1957. They a
1936 - 10k
1937 - 20k
1938 - 25k
1939 - 40k
1940 - 1r

That same issue according to my Michel is:
1945 - 10k
1946 - 25k
1947 - 40k
1948 - 40k
1949 - 1R

Michel indicates no 20k and indicates two 40k.

Scott says that 1936, 1937 and 1940 exist imperf.

Michel seems to indicate that there are A & B varieties of all the 5
issues, but not exactly that any are imperf. I understand that Michel
is much more thorough than Scott - but this just doesn't make any
sense to me.

Can anybody help dig me out of this hole? I've found most of these
problems are simply because I don't quite understand or didn't read it
right - but I've looked at this long and hard and don't think it's me
- - but maybe!

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old December 28th 03, 01:20 AM
Mette

Dakta, can you wait?
It's late here (02:17), and I will look into it tomorrow.
I have both catalogues and might be abe to help out.

It's you OK, but you need a little help -- see you tomorrow :-)

Mette

om...

Old December 28th 03, 02:43 AM
Bob Ingraham

12/27/2003 5:20 PM

Dakta, can you wait?
It's late here (02:17), and I will look into it tomorrow.
I have both catalogues and might be abe to help out.

It's you OK, but you need a little help -- see you tomorrow :-)

Mette

Mette,

We've all noticed that you continue to say you can't do this or that,
because it's late in Denmark. That just doesn't wash, you know. This is a
sophisticated group of collectors, and we know that it's *always* later in
Denmark than in North America! You'll have to come up with another reason!
:^) (I suppose you could also argue that you Danes are always ahead of us
North Americans, and perhaps with justification!)

boB

Old December 28th 03, 08:28 AM
Mette

Bob Ingraham wrote in message

Mette,

We've all noticed that you continue to say you can't do this or that,
because it's late in Denmark. That just doesn't wash, you know. This is a
sophisticated group of collectors, and we know that it's *always* later in
Denmark than in North America! You'll have to come up with another reason!
:^) (I suppose you could also argue that you Danes are always ahead of us
North Americans, and perhaps with justification!)

Bob,

in that case this group would hardly hear from me again ever,
as I most often have way too many things to do during daylight
hours! However, I saw that Didier Cuidet has answered
Dakota's question satisfactorily, so there is no need for me
to repeat his excellent answer ;-)

Ettem

Old December 28th 03, 09:07 AM
Didier Cuidet

Le Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:28:19 +0100, dans rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,
"Mette" a écrit :

[Snip]

Ettem

Vous en êtes toute retournée.

(It make you upside down)

--
DC
Old December 28th 03, 09:21 AM
Mette

"Mette" a écrit :

[Snip]

Ettem

Vous en êtes toute retournée.

(It make you upside down)

Done deliberately -- to match boB's signature :-)
Mette

Old December 28th 03, 04:02 PM
Dakota

Didier:

It seems to be the set issued for the 6th international youth and
students festival.

According to Yvert 2003 issue :

1929 10 k, violet, green and yellow
1930 20 k, olive-green, lilac and blue-violet
1931 25 k, violet, green and yellow
1932 40 k, bluish green, pink and bistre
1933 1 r, multicolor

Scott says that 1936, 1937 and 1940 exist imperf.

Yvert says the same.

Michel seems to indicate that there are A & B varieties of all the 5
issues, but not exactly that any are imperf. I understand that Michel
is much more thorough than Scott - but this just doesn't make any
sense to me.

Yvert indicates two perforations : 12 × 12.5, and 12.5. Maybe some
stamps exist with one perforation, and the remaining with the other
perforation, or all the stamps exist with the two perforations.

Yes, My 1996 Y&T says the same - but I was asking about Michel
(1987/88). I have a Russian Turkalenko catalog - but I do not read
Cyrillic.

Y&T is certainly excellent for France and I do not mean to be negative
toward it - but I find Dallay more explanatory. Scott is the ultimate
for U.S. On the other hand,. Michel is (to my mind anyway) usually
far more precise (on Russian issues) than Scott or Y&T.

I was/am confused about what Michel was trying to indicate.

Thanks anyway and of course,

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old December 28th 03, 06:58 PM
Mette

Dakota,
Concerning the face values there is a discrepancy between
Scott and Michel, such as described by you.

My Michel (2000/2001) indicates that M #1945 (Scott # 1936),
M #1948 (Scott # 1939), and M #1949 (Scott # 1940) exist
imperf.

I hope this is of some help.
Mette

om...

Old December 28th 03, 07:53 PM
Victor Manta

"Dakota" wrote in message
om...
Didier:

Yes, My 1996 Y&T says the same - but I was asking about Michel
(1987/88). I have a Russian Turkalenko catalog - but I do not read
Cyrillic.

snip

I was/am confused about what Michel was trying to indicate.

Thanks anyway and of course,

Handshakes,

Dakota

Dakota,

If you send me a scan of the relevant page from the Russian catalogue, I
could translate what interests you.

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply