Tasmania,conchology and art.

Old December 17th 03, 12:00 PM
Rodney

Default Tasmania,conchology and art.

A new Aust MS is Imminent.
The $1 issue features a John Glover Painting circa 1830
of Hobart from Kangaroo point.
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=172
80 years later, John Watt Beattie took some photographs
which were featured on the 1899-1912 def, being the first
Australian stamps to depict scenery and/as a tourist medium.
(scan c/o Bob Watson)
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=173

1930 shows a similar POV from Hunter dock
the towering building in the centre with flag, and clock face
is, in keeping with the times, the grandiose GPO.
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=174

I can almost hear the song of the rigging, and smells of the dock.
Marvelous, beautiful seacraft.

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old December 17th 03, 12:50 PM
Mette

Rodney wrote in message
A new Aust MS is Imminent.
The $1 issue features a John Glover Painting circa 1830
of Hobart from Kangaroo point.
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=172
80 years later, John Watt Beattie took some photographs
which were featured on the 1899-1912 def, being the first
Australian stamps to depict scenery and/as a tourist medium.
(scan c/o Bob Watson)
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=173

1930 shows a similar POV from Hunter dock
the towering building in the centre with flag, and clock face
is, in keeping with the times, the grandiose GPO.
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=174

I can almost hear the song of the rigging, and smells of the dock.
Marvelous, beautiful seacraft.

Beautiful, Rodney, beautiful.
As you know, the whisper goes that Denmark will some
day have a queen coming from Tasmania. These stamps
will be of great interest to us :-)

Mette

Old December 17th 03, 10:28 PM
Rodney

I can feel your Joy at the upcoming partnership, Mette.
So I'll keep alert for anything postally Taswegian.
You shall see snippets of Hobart soon on the news
with the conclusion of our Christmas whitewater event
The Sydney-Hobart yacht race.

I often see the Beattie 2d Image of Hobart in my mind's eye
when, during Cricket matches, they pan the TV cameras
out over Bellerieve oval, towards Hobart over the water.
The scenery looks wonderful, the yachts magnificent.
(Our new upcoming cricket Captain will be a Taswegian)

Rgds

(Remove gum to reply)

Old December 17th 03, 10:42 PM
Rodney

Here is a 1930 shot of Hobart from Bellerive.
I am not au fait with Hobart geography, but would seem
Glover would have painted from somewhere near here,
perhaps Kangaroo point is just a few kilometre's left of photo.

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=175

Old December 18th 03, 09:52 AM
Mette

Yes, she is a lovely young lady, whom we are all sure
will be the right mate for our crown prince (some call
him clown prince!). We hope they will be happy :-)

Whatever, she has tuned up a sound interest here for
her remote homeland, and everybody is looking to
learn more ...

Mette

Old December 18th 03, 12:14 PM
Bob Watson

Rodney wrote:

A new Aust MS is Imminent.
The $1 issue features a John Glover Painting circa 1830
of Hobart from Kangaroo point.
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=172
80 years later, John Watt Beattie took some photographs
which were featured on the 1899-1912 def, being the first
Australian stamps to depict scenery and/as a tourist medium.

Some of the photos by Beattie used in that series are available at the
National Library site. Eg. Lake Marion at
http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an23768382.

Actually, if you follow the links for Beattie's Tasmanian album you can
browse the collection (ideally with an atlas to hand) and drift back a
hundred years so easily. The photographs really are very good.

Lived on the E. Coast of Tasmania for a few years and have fond memories
of the place.

All the best,
Bob Watson
Old December 18th 03, 04:21 PM
Michael Appel

"Mette" wrote in message news:brpj8v$5sjb1$1@ID-
As you know, the whisper goes that Denmark will some
day have a queen coming from Tasmania. These stamps
will be of great interest to us :-)

We will? No, just kidding. Rumour is that we will get a national holiday on
their wedding day, and then we will all be able to go to the post office to
get the two new stamps issued that day, celebrating the wedding.. Oh, the
post office will be closed too, then?

Michael

Old December 18th 03, 06:44 PM
Mette

Michael Appel wrote in message
k...

"Mette" wrote in message news:brpj8v$5sjb1$1@ID-
As you know, the whisper goes that Denmark will some
day have a queen coming from Tasmania. These stamps
will be of great interest to us :-)

We will? No, just kidding. Rumour is that we will get a national holiday

on
their wedding day, and then we will all be able to go to the post office

get the two new stamps issued that day, celebrating the wedding.. Oh, the
post office will be closed too, then?

Sure! IF they are issued on 14th May!
But you can have them one day later :-)

Mette

Old December 19th 03, 01:38 AM
Rodney

Great site Bob,
as you say, the photographs are fantastic.
Thanks for the link.