Stamps on Colored Paper & other topicals...

Old December 28th 03, 06:42 AM
Grandpa

Default Stamps on Colored Paper & other topicals...

Stamp collecting is still pretty new to me, about 4 months now, but I've
kind of taken to a sideline collecting (in my dreams perhaps) of
different 'obtainable' oddball things besides the normal US and Canadian
stamps sets that I'd like to collect over time. I suppose you could
class them as topical. Old tall ships on stamps and maybe ferries &
tugs (US initially, then other countries) will be one I'll probably
table for awhile as I need to assemble a list. At this point I'm too
cheap to join the ATA and then buy a list from them, however one day
I'll tackle the catalogues and that attitude might change in a hurry.

So far from various sources I've assembled a list of US stamps with
hidden images & microprinting that I'd like to collect slowly but
surely, a list of US nondenominated stamps, and now a list of US general
issue stamps printed on colored paper. I scored a nice stack of older
Scott Stamp Monthly's and older Linn's Stamp News and while reading the
June 2001 issue of SSM I ran across such a list and a long article about
them, which is what tweeked my interest. The list has 47 stamps
(1956-1982) giving the Scott#, a description, issue date and paper
description. I scanned it so I wouldn't have to locate the list in my
stack of periodicals each time I wanted to check off a stamp. Another
nifty oddball group to collect.

So am I alone in this endeavor to collect wierd or odd groupings or are
others afflicted by the same 'bug' as IG? What do you collect that is
out of the ordinary, and from what countries?

Old December 28th 03, 10:01 PM
Eric Bustad

Grandpa wrote:
[...]

Sounds pretty normal (for a stamp collector, that is). I collect stamps
and postal history of Germany (including colonies, states, plebiscite
areas & etc) and Norway. But a year or two ago I started collecting
modern stamps of former German colonies that display stamps of the
German colonies. I've searched through the Scott catalog listings for
these countries and, _I think_, identified all of them. All pretty
inexpensive, but some are hard to locate!

= Eric