mulready

Old October 17th 05, 05:50 PM
JAMc

Default mulready

"Albumen" found some misplaced characters and
posted :

Dickinson & Sons. had the contract until they lost it to Del la
Rue - that is what Dickinson reports in their book.

Lot of people 'had' things until they 'lost' them ...

In any case the stamps weren't produced by De La Rue until much later.
Old October 17th 05, 08:55 PM
Albumen

JA - If no one here can confirm your previous posting, then perhaps when you
get your source material unpacked we can revisit the question.

I'm just a casual bystander, but after rereading notable parts of the
chapter I can confirm that Mr. Dickinson reports that he provided the paper
for the Mulready envelope. Given numerous studies of the production history
of the
penny black and Mulready I'd be surprised if Mr. Dickinson's involvement is
not known.

Some of the Dickinson blue threaded stamp paper tried by Mr. Hill was
rejected, but there were several varieties more. Just what stamp paper made
it to production I can't say. I don't collect British stamps, though I do
specialize in papermaking, and would like to confirm these facts.

The librarian at OSS (www.oregonstampsociety.com) has exhibited 19th Century
British postal history, so I'll visit with him next Saturday to learn what
light the he can shed on the subject.

Cheers,

-a

--

Web log: www.ajvalente.com
Email:

Old October 18th 05, 02:04 AM
JAMc

Very carefully ... I said "stamp paper" as you added in "stamps" in
parentheses. I made -no- reference to the Mulready printings.

Dickenson had some trials of threaded paper for stamps, but they were
rejected in favour of the watermark and he did not produce any -stamp
paper- until the Embossed Series. Claim what he will - The penny
Blacks and Reds as well as the Tuppenny Blues were produced on
watermarked paper from Rush Mills and printed by Perkins, Bacon &
Petch (Later just Perkins - Bacon).

Old October 18th 05, 08:56 PM
Albumen

Roger that.