US 46 cent stamp

Old May 11th 04, 12:09 AM
AK47

Default US 46 cent stamp

I needed to mail an article by USPS requiring $1.52 in postage. When I
asked for stamps in this amount I was given denominations of $1, 46
cents, and 2 @ 3 cents.
The 46 cent stamp is Scott # 2938 issued in October, 1995.
Question: What rate was this stamp issued to meet?

--
To e-mail me get rid of the cats and dogs.
Old May 12th 04, 12:45 AM
Tom McFarland

Per Linn's Stamp Yearbook:

Half ounce to Canada, or one ounce to Mexico.

Tom McFarland

Old May 12th 04, 02:04 AM
Blair (TC)

On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:09:16 -0400, AK47
wrote:

I needed to mail an article by USPS requiring $1.52 in postage. When I
asked for stamps in this amount I was given denominations of $1, 46
cents, and 2 @ 3 cents.
The 46 cent stamp is Scott # 2938 issued in October, 1995.
Question: What rate was this stamp issued to meet?

Dear AK47:

(A)
I believe the US 46c rate paid the UNDER 1 ounce (28 grams)
rate to Canada. (1997)

(B)
There was a US 46c reply paid postcard rate. (23c x 2)

(C)
Customized MarketMail must be prepared and mailed in special ways.
Business mailers must have or obtain a Standard Mail permit, send a
minimum of 200 pieces per mailing - but not necessarily per
destination delivery unit - and dropship or deliver them to the
ultimate destination facilities for handling. The postage rates for
these distinctive mailpieces will be 57.4 cents for Regular Standard
Mail, and 46 cents for Nonprofit Standard Mail.

Sending individual pieces or depositing them in mailboxes or
collection boxes is not permitted. Mailpieces may be up to 12 inches
high by 15 inches long by 3/4 of an inch thick and weigh up to 3.3
ounces. (2003)

(D) Forgeries exist of the 46c value
http://www.usstamps.org/benedict.html

Blair (TC)

Old May 12th 04, 01:28 PM
AK47

wrote:

I needed to mail an article by USPS requiring $1.52 in postage. When I
asked for stamps in this amount I was given denominations of $1, 46
cents, and 2 @ 3 cents.
The 46 cent stamp is Scott # 2938 issued in October, 1995.
Question: What rate was this stamp issued to meet?

Dear AK47:

(A)
I believe the US 46c rate paid the UNDER 1 ounce (28 grams)
rate to Canada. (1997)

After I made the original post, I recalled this rate from the mid -1990s.

(B)
There was a US 46c reply paid postcard rate. (23c x 2)

Still is, I suppose, but if stamps were used, they would be a 23-center
on each half.

(C)
Customized MarketMail must be prepared and mailed in special ways.
Business mailers must have or obtain a Standard Mail permit, send a
minimum of 200 pieces per mailing - but not necessarily per
destination delivery unit - and dropship or deliver them to the
ultimate destination facilities for handling. The postage rates for
these distinctive mailpieces will be 57.4 cents for Regular Standard
Mail, and 46 cents for Nonprofit Standard Mail.

Sending individual pieces or depositing them in mailboxes or
collection boxes is not permitted. Mailpieces may be up to 12 inches
high by 15 inches long by 3/4 of an inch thick and weigh up to 3.3
ounces. (2003)

I would doubt that stamps would be used for this rate.

(D) Forgeries exist of the 46c value
http://www.usstamps.org/benedict.html

I read the article on the {former} BIA website. Were any covers bearing
the forgeries ever found?

Thanks, AK47
Blair (TC)

--
To e-mail me get rid of the cats and dogs.
Old May 12th 04, 10:48 PM
Blair (TC)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:28:17 -0400, AK47
wrote:

(D) Forgeries exist of the 46c value
http://www.usstamps.org/benedict.html

I read the article on the {former} BIA website. Were any covers bearing
the forgeries ever found?

Not that I know of.

Thanks, AK47
Blair (TC)

Old May 13th 04, 04:29 AM
A.E. Gelat

Was the color of the stamp black? If so, that made it easy to photocopy.
Another use for the 46-cent stamps is to add to a 37-center for 3 oz.
letters (37 + 2x23).

Tony

news

Old May 13th 04, 05:19 AM
Tom McFarland

No, the stamp is red (carmine per Scott). It could certainly be used for 2
extra ounces today, but that's not the rate for which it was issued.

Tom McFarland

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
Was the color of the stamp black? If so, that made it easy to photocopy.
Another use for the 46-cent stamps is to add to a 37-center for 3 oz.
letters (37 + 2x23).

Tony

news

Old May 13th 04, 05:19 AM
Tom McFarland

wrote:

I needed to mail an article by USPS requiring $1.52 in postage. When I
asked for stamps in this amount I was given denominations of $1, 46
cents, and 2 @ 3 cents.
The 46 cent stamp is Scott # 2938 issued in October, 1995.
Question: What rate was this stamp issued to meet?

Dear AK47:

(A)
I believe the US 46c rate paid the UNDER 1 ounce (28 grams)
rate to Canada. (1997)

According to Linn's, up to a half ounce to Canada, not an ounce. But up to
an ounce to Mexico. The stamp was issued in 1995.

(B)
There was a US 46c reply paid postcard rate. (23c x 2)

But a 46c stamp would not be usable for this service, as each half of the
card must bear it's own postage.

(C)
Customized MarketMail must be prepared and mailed in special ways.
Business mailers must have or obtain a Standard Mail permit, send a
minimum of 200 pieces per mailing - but not necessarily per
destination delivery unit - and dropship or deliver them to the
ultimate destination facilities for handling. The postage rates for
these distinctive mailpieces will be 57.4 cents for Regular Standard
Mail, and 46 cents for Nonprofit Standard Mail.

Sending individual pieces or depositing them in mailboxes or
collection boxes is not permitted. Mailpieces may be up to 12 inches
high by 15 inches long by 3/4 of an inch thick and weigh up to 3.3
ounces. (2003)

While the 46c stamp could be used for any rate, it certainly was not issued
for this one.

Old May 13th 04, 01:10 PM
Blair (TC)

Tony:

The stamp was red.
http://www.tias.com/stores/mbp/pictures/fdc95-03a.jpg

46c was the 1 oz rate to Mexico, so I suspect the forgeries
were aimed at the Mexican market within the USA.

The 46c 1/2 oz to Canada was rarely used. Most people
just paid the 1 oz rate.

Blair

On Wed, 12 May 2004 22:29:29 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Was the color of the stamp black? If so, that made it easy to photocopy.
Another use for the 46-cent stamps is to add to a 37-center for 3 oz.
letters (37 + 2x23).

Tony

news

Old May 14th 04, 04:19 PM
Richard Mateles

I think the current rate to Canada and Mexico from the US is $0.60 for 1 oz.
They did away with the 1/2 oz rate about three years ago.

Rich Mateles