DIE I -DIE II

Old November 17th 03, 05:18 PM
Aepaep00 [D*]

Default DIE I -DIE II

Can somebody explain me what is DIE.
for instance STANLEY GIBBONS in ireland :N°12 , 2d ORANGE DIE I
and n°13 ,2d ORANGE DIE II and then N° 33 DIE I N° 34 DIE II
again N° 55 , N° 70 DIE II .
YVERT said nothing about .Is it the watermark ? or something
else ?
in HARRAP'S DIE =matrice ou poinçon
in yvert GB N° 142 wmk E N° 162 wmk H
THANK YOU
yves claude

.-=( Sent from: http://www.delcampe.com/usenet_index.php?language=F )=-.

Old November 17th 03, 05:48 PM
Rein Bakhuizen van den Brink

dear Yves Claude,

as you mentioned yourself, like the French words
matrice or poin‡on it related to small differences
in the drawing or design, the engraving - either
in typography or intaglio - shows changes of detail.
Call it 2 different types ...

gtx, Rein

Old November 17th 03, 07:41 PM
Rodney

G'day Yves Claude,
(Good luck on Thursday for the Rugby play-off with NZ)

Around this time the British 2d base stamp was being modified, from the original Die I of 1912 (Scott 162) to Die II
(Scott 162a); sheets of each die were included among the stamps received by Thom for overprinting. Thus, the 2d value of
the 17 February Thom overprints reveals two distinct varieties of design. Die I (T16, Scott 16b) shows 1) four
horizontal lines in the background of the medallion between the top of the portrait head and the top of the oval; 2)
relatively heavy colored lines above and below the white tablet surrounding "TWO PENCE"; 3) inner frame lines about
equidistant from the outer frame lines and the solid color of the background. Die II (T17, Scott 16) shows 1) three
horizontal lines above the head; 2) relatively thin lines above and below the tablet; 3) inner frame lines closer to the
background than to the outer frame lines

Scans can be seen here.........
http://www.rarebooks.nd.edu/digital/...t4T/set4T.html

HTH

(Remove gum to reply)

Old November 17th 03, 07:59 PM
Eric Bustad

Aepaep00 [D*] wrote:
Can somebody explain me what is DIE.
for instance STANLEY GIBBONS in ireland :N°12 , 2d ORANGE DIE I
and n°13 ,2d ORANGE DIE II and then N° 33 DIE I N° 34 DIE II
again N° 55 , N° 70 DIE II .
YVERT said nothing about .Is it the watermark ? or something
else ?
in HARRAP'S DIE =matrice ou poinçon
in yvert GB N° 142 wmk E N° 162 wmk H
THANK YOU
yves claude

.-=( Sent from: http://www.delcampe.com/usenet_index.php?language=F )=-.

From L. N. Williams' "Fundamentals of Philately": the word die,
"unqualified, means the piece of metal or other material on which
appears the engraved or otherwise applied design, subsequently
multiplied to form the printing base."

Often times multiple dies are created for a particular stamp issue, each
with minor differences in design from the other. This leads to minor
design differences in the stamps printed from the different dies.

= Eric

Old November 17th 03, 10:38 PM
Aepaep00 [D*]

Eric Bustad wrote:

Aepaep00 [D*] wrote:
Can somebody explain me what is DIE.
for instance STANLEY GIBBONS in ireland :N°12 , 2d ORANGE DIE I
and n°13 ,2d ORANGE DIE II and then N° 33 DIE I N° 34 DIE II
again N° 55 , N° 70 DIE II .
YVERT said nothing about .Is it the watermark ? or something
else ?
in HARRAP'S DIE =matrice ou poinçon
in yvert GB N° 142 wmk E N° 162 wmk H
THANK YOU
yves claude

.-=( Sent from: http://www.delcampe.com/usenet_index.php?language=F )=-.

From L. N. Williams' "Fundamentals of Philately": the word die,
"unqualified, means the piece of metal or other material on which
appears the engraved or otherwise applied design, subsequently
multiplied to form the printing base."

Often times multiple dies are created for a particular stamp issue, each
with minor differences in design from the other. This leads to minor
design differences in the stamps printed from the different dies.

= Eric

many thanks it is very nice !
i know all
merci encore

Old November 18th 03, 03:25 AM
Jay T.Carrigan

I was going to reference this site, but unfortunately both of the stamps
shown are Die II. However, this time I explored some more and found that
http://www.rarebooks.nd.edu/digital/stamps/irish/set6T/set6T.html shows
both types (click on [LAR] to see an enlargement).

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article , says...