APS working with ebay to crack down on fakes, reproductions etc.

Old October 23rd 03, 10:58 AM
JSTONE9352

Default APS working with ebay to crack down on fakes, reproductions etc.

The APS (main stamp collecting organization in the US) is working with Ebay
in cracking down on fake, facsimilie and reproduction stamps. Stamps
have to be clearly marked as such on the stamp itself.

Of course you can see what I am leading to. - If the APS can work with Ebay
on cracking down on stamp fraud why can't the ANA do the same
with coins?
Old October 23rd 03, 12:13 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

JSTONE9352 wrote:

The APS (main stamp collecting organization in the US) is working with Ebay
in cracking down on fake, facsimilie and reproduction stamps. Stamps
have to be clearly marked as such on the stamp itself.

Of course you can see what I am leading to. - If the APS can work with Ebay
on cracking down on stamp fraud why can't the ANA do the same
with coins?

I don't know diddley about stamp-collecting, or philatey or whatever
it's called, but I'd be shocked senseless if counterfeiting was a
smaller problem for than it is for coin collectors (aka numismatists
gesundheit theank you you're welcome).

Printing repros of those would seem to be an easier assignment than
creating dies and striking bogus metal rarities, I'd think.

So the APS may be somewhat more motivated to deal with the problem than
the ANA, which has not exactly been 'progressive' in consumer protection
issues of late. They were involved with HPA, so this would seem to be
an involvement that varies with time. Given that someone can
(apparently without repercussion) purchase lots of 100 fraudulent Trade
Dollars at a time from ebaY, I do wish someone would rattle their chain.
That's little more than wholesaling fake Rolexes.

Alan
'1,573,700 minted (but more are appearing daily)'
Old October 23rd 03, 12:46 PM
Larry Louks

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:
That's little more than wholesaling fake Rolexes.

I was recently in NYC on a business trip. While sightseeing in Times Square,
a gentleman presented me with a vast array of timepieces in a tray that he
wore as an extension of his chest, affixed with a thick leather strap that
went around the back of his neck to hold it securely in place. He was in
hopes that I was in a purchasing mood and he was quick to show me various
models, styles, and colors. He was in luck, as I spotted a beauty (a Rolex)
that I really wanted to bring home with me. He quoted me a price that was
far more than I would have paid for even the finest of timepieces. In the
protracted discussion that ensued, he lowered the price several times. I
finally walked away, hurling my final offer over my shoulder. Ostensibly
being loathe to lose a sale, he ran after me and ultimately sold me the
watch for $12. It's a dandy, and I enjoy wearing it and dazzling my friends
and coworkers.

Larry
'Not certain whether it's a genuine Rolex or not'

Old October 23rd 03, 04:57 PM
Ken Barr

In article jcPlb.3011$9E1.19408@attbi_s52, "Larry Louks"
wrote:

[snip]
Ostensibly
being loathe to lose a sale, he ran after me and ultimately sold me the
watch for $12. It's a dandy, and I enjoy wearing it and dazzling my
friends and coworkers.

Larry
'Not certain whether it's a genuine Rolex or not'

One knockoff artist with a sense of humor left off the right
side of the "R", making it appear to be an "F" ... "Folex"
(presumably pronounced "faux-lex") seemed quite appropriate.

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old October 23rd 03, 05:57 PM
John Stone

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in message ...
JSTONE9352 wrote:

[...]

From what I understand the counterfeiting problem with stamps was
getting so
bad on Ebay that they felt they had to do something so the arrangement
with
APS was worked out.

Exactly how it works I don't know but I assume that APS does not have
someone
in front of a computer checking on every stamp auction on Ebay looking
for
fake stamps

Most likely it is probably something like this:

Someone sends a complaint to Ebay about a potential fraudulent stamp,
they
send the info and URL to APS who checks it out either at their
headquarters or sends it via email to an expert in that field.

Since you only have the image and not the actual item it does limit
you to
some extent but as has been shown in this newsgroup certain fake coins
can easily be spotted from a picture.

The ANA has a ton of expertise in spotting fakes and many experts on
certain
series of coins. If the APS can do it for stamps I don't see why the
ANA
could not do it for coins (if they wanted to). I doubt that Ebay
would turn
down such an offer, they have gotten enough bad media stories about
fakes being
sold on their auction site I'm sure they would welcome the expertise
the ANA
could offer.
Old October 23rd 03, 10:50 PM
JSTONE9352

The main sticking point is
that the ANA has no enforcement over non-members.

I'm not sure I see what difference this
makes. They are determining whether
something is authentic or not. It is Ebay
doing the enforcing on their website.
Ebay is going to an outside authority for
help, why should the potential offender have to be a member of an
organization Ebay is going to for advice?

In order to gain
enforcement capacity, Ebay would have to make ANA membership a prerequisite
for selling on its site.

Enforcement of what? Ebay rules?
This makes no sense to me. So the ANA
can't determine whether something is
genuine unless the person is an ANA
member and that is a requirement needed
for Ebay to boot the offender? They are
enforcing Ebay rules, not ANA rules.

If an agreement was to be made, the ANA would
face substantial expense for new staff and facilities to handle the
complaints

I don't believe that, if the URL was
sent to experts around the country to
determine authenticity where is the
great expense for the ANA?

Without a subsidy from Ebay, I don't see it happening.

You are probably right on that.

It looks like the ANA is just putting up a lot of BS roadblocks as an excuse to
do nothing.

I would be interested in what the APS
did to make this work for them and Ebay.
I'll bet they didn't put up a lot of silly
roadblocks like the ANA is doing.

I believe the ANA executive director is
a lawyer isn't he? I think that explains
a lot.

Old October 23rd 03, 11:01 PM
MorganCoin1

The APS (main stamp collecting organization in the US) is working with Ebay
in cracking down on fake, facsimilie and reproduction stamps. Stamps
have to be clearly marked as such on the stamp itself.

Of course you can see what I am leading to. - If the APS can work with Ebay
on cracking down on stamp fraud why can't the ANA do the same
with coins?

Can't or won't? There are none that are more "can't" than those that "won't"
IME...