(RCSD) OT - I am back

Old November 15th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default (RCSD) OT - I am back

"David French"

I also use AVG Anti-Spyware which 'mops up'
any odd cookies and exe files that get saved with
Emails and temporary data.

I employ the free "Cookie wall"
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...ork/cookie.htm
every cookie that arrives, you can keep, delete, or save.

I have clicked links on this NG that have come
with as many as 10 cookies.

Old November 15th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message
Ever try turning off real-time protection and gaining some needed
speed with that old beastie you have?

Hah! I have just shelled out $80 for a P4 3.4Ghz
1000mb ram, 40Gb Hdd and $90 for a 18" Liquid Crystal display
monitor, I will soon be cutting edge
Now all I have to do is get comfortable with XP.
Like Ralphael, I am leaving my comfort zone for a while.
Still on the hunt for a top class Duplex ADF scanner.

Old November 15th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Ralphael1" wrote in message

The newsgroup has my old aol address but I cannot read any messages.
Therefore for the time being this newsgroup is my mail box.

What OS are you using Ralph?
what email client is your choice?

Old November 16th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French

I also use AVG Anti-Spyware which 'mops up'
any odd cookies and exe files that get saved with
Emails and temporary data.

I employ the free "Cookie wall"
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...ork/cookie.htm
every cookie that arrives, you can keep, delete, or save.

I have clicked links on this NG that have come
with as many as 10 cookies.

I hope you gave them a proper dunking!! :-)

David.

Old November 16th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"David French"

I hope you gave them a proper dunking!! :-)
David.

My word yes, one of the bad, (but delightful)
habits I brought out to the Swan River Colony.
Aussie cookies are inferior, and tend to
break and dive back in the coffee....not good.

Old November 17th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "David French" wrote:

These are common problems we face because the software many times
isn't real-time optimized. I turn off my resident scan in favor of a
better throughput.

I employ AVG free antivirus,
have not met with any problems, virii of
downloading in 3 years.

Me too - AVG has worked well for the last 2 years.
Nothing serious has got through in that time.

I also use AVG Anti-Spyware which 'mops up'
any odd cookies and exe files that get saved with
Emails and temporary data.

I used to have Norton but found it slow. They also
kept putting up the annual license charges!

I must say that it slows my system down so much that I am going over to
AVG when my Norton expires.

Not one virus has come through or even been reported in two years....
I suspect that the fact that I only read newsgroups and email on my
old Acorn RiscPC may be a factor here.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old November 17th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:43:05 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Tony Clayton found these unused words:

[...]

You'll find a few oddities with AVG. When it updates, it locks the machine
until it is finished. Same when it boots up along with the 5 tons of other
'required' -=startup=-.

Updates will often alter your preferences and in my case, it keeps turning
OFF email scanning!

Well, for Free... one can abide by a few quirks. :^) I'm using both
AVG "Free" and Computer Associates.
Old November 18th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

found these unused words:

wrote:

[...]

Not my point, rather that new users often become upset when the program
'takes over' and they can not do anything! More than half the people I've
had try AVG, have dumped it for that reason, believing that it is 'damaging'
their computer.

Nuttin' and Macunfree do their best in the 'help line' to encourage this
belief.

After you posted this, I checked on it and AVG does temporarily "lock
up" the store. I can also understand why, even though it is a
nuisance. In order to update properly, snag all the resources so that
nobody else can corrupt the process. If said snagging goes on for a
"long time", however, that can be a major annoyance.

On my newer PC it seems negligible. I guess that shows with older PCs
far more...
Old November 18th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French

[...]

JA

Well that's odd, it has never done any of the above to my system.

My settings are the same as the day I installed it & I can keep using
any software at the same time as downloading the update(s) in the
background!

David.