OT - saving images

Old August 22nd 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default OT - saving images

Rod.

When you rotate a square or a rectangle, opposite sides remain parallel and
internal angles retain their 90 degrees value. When you skew a square or a
rectangle, opposite sides remain parallel but the angles change their
degree-value -- two opposite angles become greater than 90 and the other two
opposite angles become less than 90. If a scanned stamp ends up with its
base line not parallel to the horizontal axis of your monitor, you
straighten it by rotating it the number of degrees it is off-parallel.
Paint Shop Pro has an automatic feature for doing just that. A line with
two "anchors" is set on the image. You take this line and place it on the
border of the design or along the perforation of the stamp and press
'enter'. Voilą, it's straight!

Hope this helps.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
Rod found these unused words:

On Aug 22, 9:17 am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Using a misnomer for a name is their privelege ... still it's "rotation"
not
"skewing"!- Hide quoted text -

Well I'm afraid I sit with them.
I place the stamp on the scanner bedMy humble understanding:

When you rotate a square or a rectangle
in a position that is very slightly
(twisted, slanted, biased or distorted)
take your pick, to the alignment register
of the machine.

First two OK; eh, on 'biased'; last ... you've got to be joking!
"Distorted" can't be corrected by rotation as that term implies more than
misalignment to an x/y axis.

I think that can be considered "skewed"

One may 'think' anything ...

To then re-align the program "de-skews"

Whatever ... misnomer!

also see "skewwhiff" askew, awry.

Apart from that, it appears to be the
accepted nomeclature in image programming.

Missed a word, rod ...
"accepted nomeclature in [amateur] image programming."

Photoshop and other -=professional=- programs make a very great
distinction
between rotation and skew.

Rotation affect the image as a whole, skew 'shifts' a distorted image back
into rectangularity. Naturally both tools can be used for effects as well,
eg: skewing a box -=out=- of a rectangular shape into a parallelogram.

Old August 24th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 23, 2:36 am, "Tony Vella" wrote:

When you rotate a square or a rectangle, opposite sides remain parallel and

G'day Tony,
yep, I get what you and JA are addressing.
Perhaps my opinion is better understood
as what JA suggested, the pertinence of the
(amateur) reference.

If I need to find a scanner, that, for want of a better
word "re-aligns" an out of rotation scanned image,
then I will need to search with a text string "de skew"
for best results.

It seems (to me) to be the accepted method
of describing the operation I seek, even though
as you explained, is not entirely correct.

If, however, you suggest the de skew operation
does what you describe, then that's not what I need.

I need, exactly what the OCR program does prior to
reading, aligns the image perpendicular to what it
recognises as lines of text or image blocks.
(and not the perfed border)
Rodney.

Old August 25th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:08:27 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

[...]

IF your scanner is compatible -or- you buy one that is -or- (even better!)
comes with Silverfast, this may be useful:

http://www.silverfast.com/highlights...gnment/en.html

Note the terminology used ... no 'deskew' here.
I can't say that it does/does not use the edge of the item (perforations) or
the darkest (printed) edge (line) within the item!

What is truly frustrating is that Photoshop does such a nasty job of
splitting and the rotating individual items. I gave up on it for the
Belgian RR project. I use a program called Cropper. This keeps the
huge graphic onscreen while you can crop out images and save them.
This is backwards from the conventional method of cropping an image,
saving it and the re-loading the huge graphic. Saves massive amounts
of time. Although time spent well with Cropper is then eventually
lost opening it up and finalizing with PhotoShop.
Old August 25th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

wrote:

What is truly frustrating is that Photoshop does such a nasty job of
splitting and the rotating individual items. I gave up on it for the
Belgian RR project. I use a program called Cropper. This keeps the
huge graphic onscreen while you can crop out images and save them.
This is backwards from the conventional method of cropping an image,
saving it and the re-loading the huge graphic. Saves massive amounts
of time. Although time spent well with Cropper is then eventually
lost opening it up and finalizing with PhotoShop.

The adjusting and saving of individual selections is one of the main reasons
why I have been using Corel Suite since the very first version. Another
reason is that it's a local software - just down the road - and I got
CorelDraw Suite 1 for free long time ago. With Corel PhotoPaint you scan a
whole page, then either finalize and save the whole page, or finalize and
save individual selections (in my case, stamp by stamp) . In either case the
main image never needs reloading.

One thing that annoys me in Corel PhotoPaint though, is that the image
straightening process is still the old-fashioned freehand rotation. I can't
understand why Corel does not adopt the auto straightening feature in Paint
Shop Pro (also a Corel Co. product) into their CorelDraw Suite. I find that
I use Paint Shop Pro just for straightening images; I don't think I have
ever used it for anything else.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old August 25th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
marios

Hi Tony,

EzImage has had what you are loking for since 2003.
It has Auto-Separate, Auto-Crop & Auto-Rotate.

Major auction house, stamp dealers & even the Smothsonian use it for their
imaging projects.
Imagine taking 50 stamps & scanning them all at one.
Then with one click, have EzImage separate, rotate & crop them for you.
EzImage was reviewed in Linns by Bill Sharpe.

You can get a free demo to try from my site at

http://www.ezstamp.com

I will be glad to answer any questions

regards
Marios

Developers of EzStamp, AlbumGen, EzGrader & PCVU

Email: OR
Websites:
http://www.ezstamp.com
http://www.stamptools.com/
http://www.pcvu.com

Old August 25th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 24, 11:08 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

IF your scanner is compatible -or- you buy one that is -or- (even better!)
comes with Silverfast, this may be useful:
http://www.silverfast.com/highlights...gnment/en.html

Thanks JA,
I have contacted them for a price,
I have an Epson perfection 1670 which should suit.

Old August 25th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 25, 7:03 am, wrote:

What is truly frustrating is that Photoshop does such a nasty job of splitting and the rotating individual items. I gave up on it for the Belgian RR project. I use a program called Cropper. This keeps the huge graphic onscreen while you can crop out images and save them.

I'm not suggesting buying a new scanner, :0) but this
is what Epson offers....
The preview screen can enable you to place a
"carousel" around the image needed to scan.

http://cjoint.com/data/izfRMud6en.htm

The benefits are the ability to scan differing
sized articles whilst preserving a desired resolution.
(you cannot do this with an initial scan then cropping)

I can scan up to say 40 stamps, with one click
or, scan one tiny stamp, adjust the resolution,
then scan a very large item.

The (lack of) "auto rotate" is the only blight
in the Seiko software.
Rodney

Old August 26th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 25, 11:06 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Incorrect ... Whatever resolution you scanned with will be preserved when you sub-crop -=UNLESS=- you direct the software to alter, by resizing or embedding a different PPI for your printer.

Incorrect.
Re-read the post.
Yes the resolution is maintained.
(but this is what we need to avoid)

You have two articles, a MS and a German "Noptofer" label.

If you have low res to encompass the MS
the noptofer label will be blurred.
If you have high resolution, the the MS will be
a huge capacity scan.

You may also wish to take to task "Marios"
and his Ezi Image, is it "amateur" ?

He refers to rotation as "skew" in his preamble.

Old August 26th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 26, 10:14 am, Rod

You have two articles, a MS and a German "Noptofer" label.

Oops,
see, this is what happens when you have a glass of water
with brekky, istead of a large black coffee.

Should be "Notopfer" label.

Apologies to our German friends.

Old August 26th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
marios

Rotation & De-skew are the same thing.

regards
marios

PS: There is nothing amteur about EzImage. I invite you to try it fo
yourself .

Developers of EzStamp, AlbumGen, EzGrader & PCVU

Email: OR
Websites:
http://www.ezstamp.com
http://www.stamptools.com/
http://www.pcvu.com
"Rod" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 25, 11:06 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Incorrect ... Whatever resolution you scanned with will be preserved
when you sub-crop -=UNLESS=- you direct the software to alter, by
resizing or embedding a different PPI for your printer.

Incorrect.
Re-read the post.
Yes the resolution is maintained.
(but this is what we need to avoid)

You have two articles, a MS and a German "Noptofer" label.

If you have low res to encompass the MS
the noptofer label will be blurred.
If you have high resolution, the the MS will be
a huge capacity scan.

You may also wish to take to task "Marios"
and his Ezi Image, is it "amateur" ?

He refers to rotation as "skew" in his preamble.

one today; and I am saving the envelope Sue H Autographs 3 October 25th 06 03:28 AM
Anyone else saving copper cents? The Bobino Coins 19 September 27th 06 01:01 AM
EARN CASH WHILE SAVING GAS Randy Paper Money 0 June 28th 06 08:27 PM
Saving Envelopes UnionBoi Autographs 8 February 5th 06 03:24 AM
Need credit? Like saving money? Come here then. Acredit Paper Money 0 May 3rd 04 01:13 AM