Advice wanted

Old July 5th 04, 10:58 AM
Bea

Default Advice wanted

I have a numerous amount of rare, very old stamps, and i was wondering if
anyone could tell me where I can get them valued. I am NOT looking to sell
them, I want to insure them with their own insurance, so hence my need for
their value.

I live in the North-west of England. Does someone know of anywhere around
here which can value them?

Thanks

Old July 5th 04, 06:22 PM
Dakota

Bea:

I have a numerous amount of rare, very old stamps, and i was wondering if
anyone could tell me where I can get them valued. I am NOT looking to sell
them, I want to insure them with their own insurance, so hence my need for
their value.

Look in your telephone book - you should easly find stamp dealers
listed therein. Be aware that if you are not selling the stamps that
there will be a charge for this service. No dealer is going to spend
hours valuing stamps for free.

Or, you could go to a local library and ask then to let you peruse
their stamp catalogs - you'll probably find Stanley Gibbons (in many
volumes) stamp catalogs available. You'll find the value listed in
those catalogs. However in most instances the stamps will be worth
far less than catalog value - the values stated in SG catalogs are for
extremely fine examples with perfect centering, no thins, no missing
damaged perfs - etc.

I do have to ponder how you know they are rare if you don't already
know the value. When one has a rare item, the value of such is
usually already known.
Just because a stamp is old, does not make it rare or even
collectible.

Dakota
Old July 5th 04, 06:36 PM
Victor Manta

"Dakota" wrote in message
om...
snip

I do have to ponder how you know they are rare if you don't already
know the value.

Dakota

How about intuition? :-)

Victor Manta

Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old July 5th 04, 10:10 PM
Blair (TC)

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:58:17 +0100, "Bea"
wrote:

I have a numerous amount of rare, very old stamps, and i was wondering if
anyone could tell me where I can get them valued. I am NOT looking to sell
them, I want to insure them with their own insurance, so hence my need for
their value.

I live in the North-west of England. Does someone know of anywhere around
here which can value them?

Thanks

You may want to try a Liverpool dealer.
Depending on time required, there may
be a fee.

Fenwick Philatelics
52 Fenwick Street
Liverpool , Merseyside L2 7ND
Tel: 01512365997

Blair Stannard

Old July 6th 04, 11:36 PM
Bea

Wow, thanks a lot - quite a fair bit of advice there. Will be getting in
contact with Fenwick Philatelics soon.

BTW - I know one variety of my stamps is rare and very expensive ;o) - I
have 3 penny blacks!!

Old July 7th 04, 03:43 AM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:36:52 +0100, "Bea"
wrote:

Wow, thanks a lot - quite a fair bit of advice there. Will be getting in
contact with Fenwick Philatelics soon.

BTW - I know one variety of my stamps is rare and very expensive ;o) - I
have 3 penny blacks!!

Depending on the margin, the color, the cancel (or if mint - the gum),
this will tell if you have a $20 USD Penny Black or a decent $200
superb copy.

There are many Penny Blacks on the market. I recently sold 3 with 2
or 3 margins for about $20 - $30 each.

Remember - there are many factors, as mentioned above, that contribute
to a stamp's value.

If you have many other older stamps from G.B., you may then have a
collection that needs appraising. I would let a QUALIFIED stamp
dealer give you an appraisal.

Also, don't always take 1 person's word for it - especially if you
feel something's not right - it may not be.

There's a BIG difference between catalog value and what someone will
pay for these items.
Old July 7th 04, 04:00 AM
Dakota

"Bea"

BTW - I know one variety of my stamps is rare and very expensive ;o) - I
have 3 penny blacks!!

Gee, I wish you'd not mentioned the "Penny Black". It is neither rare
nor is it expensive. Wholesale price/value on it is about US $20.00
or about UK 14 Pounds. There is a faint possibility that the 3 you
have may be extremely rare examples - unfortunately the chances are
vastly slim.

I do wish you the best of luck though. ;-))

Dakota
Old July 7th 04, 06:46 AM
Rodney

reminds me of an article I read recently (circa 1970),
one of the valuers of SG went out to value some lady's
penny black collection.
They covered the wall in one of her bedrooms.
Apparently they salvaged a few extremely fine examples.

I've yet to own one, and yet to see one come up at auction.

Old July 7th 04, 03:52 PM
Dakota

"Rodney"

I've yet to own one, and yet to see one come up at auction.

You ever heard of a thing called eBay?

Ther are about 25 offered there right now - I remember back just
before Christmas (last year) there were about 180 listed.

Ain't rare, but some people there have bid those doggone things up to
about 70 pounds.

Dakota

Album Advice wanted Shystev99 Coins 2 October 27th 04 06:36 AM
WTT 2003 Baseball Wanted Squire Baseball 0 April 4th 04 04:05 AM
Chasing 2003's Bob Baseball 0 January 12th 04 11:03 PM
Updated 2003 Wantlist Bob Baseball 0 December 9th 03 06:03 PM
WTT: Updated 2003 Needs Bob Baseball 0 October 26th 03 03:50 PM